JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would come down to them proving you committed a crime by importing after the law went in. So chances are slim if someone was not an idiot that they would get in a bind. I still just would not do it but have zero doubt many are. As always if you choose to ignore some law you are making the choice to pay the price. Chances may be slim but, it is a risk.
You're not wrong, but consider the inverse... lived in CA for some years and heard many lawyers suggesting this about the magazine ban + freedom week injunction, which isn't entirely valid.

If you possess a model/part that was released/produced after the ban date, the product itself is proof that it was imported after the law went into effect.

Last Edited:
is inheritance possible in Wa?
just Inherit a few;)
If you were to ask someone at the AG's office you can bet they would tell you no. Now if some family member passes and you take the guns? As long as you are not trying to transfer them to yourself you would be fine. Assuming you did not tell anyone what you were doing who might later want to report you. Anyone who manages to get in a bind over this it will be because they will just have to start telling others what they did.

If you were to ask someone at the AG's office you can bet they would tell you no. Now if some family member passes and you take the guns? As long as you are not trying to transfer them to yourself you would be fine. Assuming you did not tell anyone what you were doing who might later want to report you. Anyone who manages to get in a bind over this it will be because they will just have to start telling others what they did.
You can't do a transfer with a dead person…

You can't do a transfer with a dead person…
You asked about a will. Have you ever seen how that works? If you really think it does not work why did you ask? Just to argue with any answer you got?
For anyone who really wants the answer, yes, guns can be transferred after a death. Now in WA if the gun in question is something we can no longer buy here then the answer the FFL will give is no, they can not transfer it to the resident. Any FFL can take the guns and sell them for you out of state and that will amount to a transfer. The FFL will put them on their books. This is a transfer.
Now if the person getting the gun from another who died just takes the gun? The state will of course not know. Problem will be so few can keep their mouth shut about it. If they start telling everyone they know how they "got around" the law is where they may get in a bind.

I thought Wa put in a non inheritance clause into the law?
RCW 9.41.390
(e) The receipt of an assault weapon by a person who, on or after April 25, 2023, acquires possession of the assault weapon by operation of law upon the death of the former owner who was in legal possession of the assault weapon, provided the person in possession of the assault weapon can establish such provenance. Receipt under this subsection (2)(e) is not "distribution" under this chapter. A person who legally receives an assault weapon under this subsection (2)(e) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gunsmith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon.

RCW 9.41.390
(e) The receipt of an assault weapon by a person who, on or after April 25, 2023, acquires possession of the assault weapon by operation of law upon the death of the former owner who was in legal possession of the assault weapon, provided the person in possession of the assault weapon can establish such provenance. Receipt under this subsection (2)(e) is not "distribution" under this chapter. A person who legally receives an assault weapon under this subsection (2)(e) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gunsmith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon.
So inheritance is legal. I wonder if anyone is going to cotton onto the idea of selling said inheritance? I do not see any provision here limiting it to some kind of defined relation, just "it is legal under the law" which I would think would mean literally anyone provided they are stipulated in a legally binding document (will, trust, etc.).

So inheritance is legal. I wonder if anyone is going to cotton onto the idea of selling said inheritance? I do not see any provision here limiting it to some kind of defined relation, just "it is legal under the law" which I would think would mean literally anyone provided they are stipulated in a legally binding document (will, trust, etc.).
I thought a person could leave it to their kids but their kids could not pass it on. I'm almost positive it can be inherited only one time. Maybe that changed in the final version of the bill though I don't know.

I thought a person could leave it to their kids but their kids could not pass it on. I'm almost positive it can be inherited only one time. Maybe that changed in the final version of the bill though I don't know.
I am just reading what was posted above. It contains no such stipulations, but who knows what else is in there in other sections. I was just commenting on the fact that if it were any legal inheritance that opens it up to some random person who bought that inheritance, which would be an interesting new market for older people looking to capitalize on earlier investments.

If this law makes it as long as the NFA (I seriously doubt it will) I wonder how high such paid-for inheritance would climb. Would it be anything like the inflation we see in the machine gun market, just localized to one state? Seems like it might be easier to just leave if you wanted an "assault weapon" that badly. . .

I thought a person could leave it to their kids but their kids could not pass it on. I'm almost positive it can be inherited only one time.
This is how I read the law.
Its the first attempt Ive seen at legislating away the grandfather clause. The left knows they need a grandfather clause to pass any AW bans but they also know there are enough "assault" weapons in any state to continue a healthy market of buying and selling used. Rest assured other states will follow as they collaborate.
Washington will not be legal to own any AW in as little as 2 generations from now.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top