JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another reason to bury equipment might be to prevent thieves and robbers from getting it. You can't be home all the time. I know you can purchase a safe, but there was an article in the Medford Tribune recently where a man showed how easy it is to break into safes with just a couple of long pry bars. It was scary!

Some rambling thoughts on this thread-

1. Posting information on the internet it may seem like a big deal but look at the bigger picture and ask yourself these questions:

a. ever fill out a SF 4473 in the last 20 years?
b. ever bought a hunting license in the last 20 years?
c. ever served the armed forces in the last 20 years?
d. ever applied for a CHL or CWP?
e. ever been a member of Pro-gun organization?
f. ever joined a gun club?
g. ever joined an online gun forum?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above you maybe on a "list", so stop worrying discussing topics but don't post the grid coordinates of your cache either. The point I am making is there are too many variables to search for to stay off the radar so posting info on the web, well seems irrelevant when there are 80 million gun owners. Who knows if we talk about it enough maybe Popular Mechanics or other main stream magazine may publish an article about caching (that was sarcasm). Bottom line: don't be stupid but don't go into hiding for fear of being 'on the radar'.

2. If you choose to smear some kind of grease like petroleum product on your weapon(s) ensure you have a method to clean it off.

3. When caching, diversify the contents of your cache. Weapons cleaning items, good boots that you know will fit your feet and maybe already broken in, first aid items (mole skin), foot powder, boot socks, tooth brush, tooth paste etc... May seem silly right now but will pay dividends when you need them. If you are are truely needing to unbury a weapon chances are you are not in a position to go on down to wal mart for a little shopping trip.

4. This little GWOT in the middle east and southwest Asia have changed the way the military thinks and operates. For example, searching for caches has become a new collective task. Of course the U.S. Mil. didn't create their own system, they copied a system already in place and one that works very well. It is very systematic and thorough but is very resource demanding and requires coordinated man power. Thank goodness BHO created his little private army that probably (I am going out on a limb here) doesn't fall under the Constitutional definition of a branch of the military so Posse Comitatus will not apply to it. SURPRISE hot dog Guy! A coordinated nation wide gun confiscation/Cordon Search mission will be a little time consuming. Back in '93 after the AWB passed there were mass sheeple selling off their mil style weapons for fear of the JBT kicking in their doors (Wacko, TX was still fresh in everybody's mind) so the .GOV will not really need to search all that hard if they declare 'the worst case scenario'. I mean c'mon it takes CNN showing one or two people turning in weapons and the rest of the flock will follow after BHO declares weapon turn in and they will follow.

5. I had read an article about what the actual percentage of American Colonists who fought in the American Revolution, though I don't remember the actual number I want to say it was under 20%, I may be wrong here, somebody chime in and a help a brother out. The 'so-what' behind this part of my ramblings... don't be surprised if you are left alone and the masses are grazing at Mickey-D's 'if' the time were to come for such an atrocity.

'nuff said I need some chow.

SF-

i would go to a machine shop and get a 55 gal barrel full of metal lathe chips and spread them all around the area a large area , that should confuse the heck out of a person with a metal detector !!

Hi, Silver Fox. That was a wonderful addition that you made to this thread. Lots of good material there. I'm going to print it out for future reference. It should be republished on survivalblog.com. Thank you. Dario

So for those of you burying weapons and ammunition on public land, is anyone taking steps to leave those items in a slightly non-operational state? It occurs to me that geocaching and metal detecting is sometimes considered an acceptable hobby for children and while any one cache is unlikely to be found like this, if everyone on this forum goes and creates three of them...

Are there any sorts of safety precautions that might prevent immediate use by those not trained/experienced with firearms without negating the original purpose of the cache?

So for those of you burying weapons and ammunition on public land, is anyone taking steps to leave those items in a slightly non-operational state? It occurs to me that geocaching and metal detecting is sometimes considered an acceptable hobby for children and while any one cache is unlikely to be found like this, if everyone on this forum goes and creates three of them...

Are there any sorts of safety precautions that might prevent immediate use by those not trained/experienced with firearms without negating the original purpose of the cache?

I believe you are thinking of a different type of area than I am, even though I haven't really planned to bury anything. For me this is all hypothetical - just something to think about.

If you look at the area of S. Oregon and N. Calif from I-5 to the coast, it's so steep and rugged that few even hunt it. There are known plane crashes where the planes have never been found. Not too long ago some hikers stumbled upon the wreckage of a plane crash which was decades old.

If you really know your way around some wilderness areas which by law won't be logged or mined, you can get lost for good. For sure, there won't be kids playing with metal detectors in that terrain.

At the same time, there is lots of wildlife, water, and materials for shelter out there.

$.02

i would go to a machine shop and get a 55 gal barrel full of metal lathe chips and spread them all around the area a large area , that should confuse the heck out of a person with a metal detector !!

(Note: I had to edit this posting as my typing skills in an iPhone need some improving)

This would have been a great idea in 1948. Technology and science have moved beyond that and guess what will detect ANY type of explosive munitions? Dogs. That is what is used in Theater (this has been on national t.v. so I am not passing out any national secrets) bomb dogs have found hits on one bullet buried two feet down that had been there many years beforehand. It will not take much training to sniff for any petroleum product used to preseve weapons. Oh and you are going to think placing one or two bullets on top of your cache? Think again, the dogs will go over the area again and again until the dog handler is satisfied and that may be awhile. So now you are going to sprinkle ammo in a 50' x 50' area around your cache? That is only a tell tale sign to bring in a dozer or back hoe if that much ammo has been dropped. I said this is very time consuming but if I were conducting a search on a residence whose owner fit a particular profile and I found too many hits with a dog or metal detector, I would dig up the back yard or a acreage until I found what I was looking for. Look up some old news video clips of the DC sniper and his old place of residence in Tacoma, WA... they tore up the back yard looking for anything that could be used as evidence. Now imagine some '20-something year old' government employee who has the backing of Federal LE and/or a military type unit with an over inflated ego sprinkled with a self imposed cockiness, given the assignment of searching your property with an unlimited resources, time and he his getting paid no matter what happens and no recourse to any violations of the property owners constitutional rights... bad chemistry.

This will have three effects on the populace:

1. Scare tactic.
2. Encourage citizens to turn on each other
3. Properganda against pro-gun citizens

My recommendation is if you decide to cache 'something' do so with the idea that you are going to dig this up before any ".gov" associate has a notion to come to your property and this is an insurance against civilian type of 'unfriendly'.

SF-

Last Edited:
You are right assuming the military or LE comes in with high tech.

I was more thinking about civilians stumbling onto a cache and stealing it before TSHF.

Oh and you are going to think placing one or two bullets on top of your cache? Think again, the dogs will go over the area again and again until the dog handler is satisfied and that may be awhile. So now you are going to sprinkle ammo in a 50' x 50' area around your cache? That is only a tell tale sign to bring in a dozer or back hoe if that much ammo has been dropped.

Good points all.

One comment though... I would hope that these aren't "live" rounds that would be sprinkled around! But then I suppose non-charged (no powder/primer) rounds would be suspicious in and of themselves.

'When it's time to bury your guns, it's really time to dig them up'.

tac

Tac-

Right you are are!

Dogs reaction to pepper or other substance would cause the dog handlers 'spider sense' to tingle.

I am not trying to come across as a self appointed expert, but just a fellow American who is playing devils advocate based on what he has learned in the last five years of searching for caches in SW Asia. There are no dumb idea's, if something works for you and it is effective then it surely isn't dumb. The problem with caches (and yes we have discovered this even with Americans who are playing insurgents who by nature of circumstances develop the same patterns as the real insurgents in theater) is that they are put there by humans (you) and humans are wanting to work smarter than harder and by default they (we) will dig a cache that is easy to have access and remember the location to. The problem with that, is that is the obvious location to start first.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top