JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like every other person with a survival frame of mind, I have accumulated a few firearms down through the years. The problem is - keeping them all in my house means that thieves or the government could easily grab them all at once! How does one prevent this?
Well, I have often thought that it would be a good idea to bury them. I know of a lot of places scattered around the woods that would be good. What I think is that you could buy some large PCV pipe, cut it to the length you need, and stuff in a rifle and a few hundred rounds of ammo, knives or whatever else you think you might want later. Prepare several of these "kits" to stash. Put them in different areas several miles apart. In other words, "don't keep all of your eggs in one basket"! If someone finds one cache, you'll still have the others.
I won't go into details about how to do it because a gentleman already did this and wrote an article about it. He left his gun in the ground for 15 years! Then dug it up and checked it! If you are interested in this subject, please read his article.
www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Interesting read. I think if I were to do that today, I'd take GPS numbers and record them somewhere or carry them in my wallet. I'd disguise them by adding some numbers that I could remember but that wouldn't make sense to anyone else.

I think I'd also bury an old rusty piece of scrap metal a few inches into the ground so that a metal detector would pick it up. If someone else found it with a metal detector, they'd harvest the rusty metal and believe they had all that was there if the gun was deep enough to defeat the detector. If the gun wasn't deep enough to defeat a modern metal detector, you're screwed anyway if someone happens along with one.

I'm not worried enough yet to do that, but if I did I'd add some other survival items such as fishing hooks and nylon line, snare line, etc.

If congress goes for a gun ban, I think we'll have warning. If the SHTF I think those of us who are watching for the possibility will have at least some warning.

$.02

the thing I can't decide, if I were to do this, is which weapons do you bury?

Obviously we should be proficient with all the weapons we own, but we all have "go to" weapons and favorites.
My primaries for any SHTF would be my carry Glock and my Mossberg 590.

The only weapons I don't use regularly are the ones I wouldn't grab in an emergency - like my .22-250

Would anyone go out and double up on the primary weapons of choice? I know not all Glocks are the same, but I'm pretty confident that the Glock 19 would still fit my hand and shoot somewhat similarly. Obviously I'd give it at thorough break in prior to burial.

I like the idea of the JIC tube - is that a pistol grip only, coctailer?

Just like the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims, I bury mine with a dead fish so that my guns produce a bountiful harvest and multiply many times over.....

....although, maybe that only works for corn....

I agree with Gunner3456 that scattering some scrap metal around the area of a burial to confuse metal detectors would be a good idea. A bunch of nails and bolts, some old engine parts etc. Also, I think that the best way to bury a weapon would be verticle (standing up) instead of horizontal (like a grave) to present a smaller potential picture to a metal detector.
If I were to do this, I might put one on Humbug Creek, another on Bishop Creek, or Forest Creek (these are roads that are scattered around Ruch in the Applegate area of Southern Oregon). I would like to have several caches widely dispersed. Someone might stumble across one of them but I think that most would still be there when you need them.

Also, I think that the best way to bury a weapon would be verticle (standing up) instead of horizontal (like a grave) to present a smaller potential picture to a metal detector.

That would definitely make it easier to use a post hole digger. In fact, if you are putting up fence, you could bury it directly under a post for easier location and as an additional deterent to metal detectors.

so are you guys thinking of burying on public land?

The only place I would think of burying a cache would be at my 10 acre rural property 20 or so miles north of town. That is my bug out spot where we have a creek, well, septic and travel trailer and I'm building a 24x36 pole barn right now.

There can be a lot of urban growth and rural development in 15+ years. Gps might not be available if or when you go for your subsoil shooter. Just some thoughts.

If gun confiscation was to take place, you would hear of it before they got to you, word would get around quick. (Hopefully). This would be apart a greater problem that would be brewing in our nation. If that scenario where to happen, I would be removing the guns and myself from the premises. If they are coming for your guns, then they are coming for you too.

I have never given thought to burrying them but i am gonna as i get more keep a couple at my moms and a couple at my sisters two people that have never owned a gun and would have less odds of government checking there if the shtf and if one of us had a break in i would still have guns.

Do they have a safe place to store them in their homes? gun safes? or are they just in the closet on a shelf?
I'd hate to be responsible for someone innocent getting hurt or killed with one of my guns that was improperly stored.

I've heard it said before, when you think it's time to bury your guns, it's really time to dig them up.

On a more serious note, that's why I don't buy any guns with paper trails anymore. If push came to shove I have some that could be "sacrificed" if the gun grabbers ever came around in order to satisfy them and have others that would have been lost in a tragic boating accident. ;)

If the guy had buried a piece of 8 or 10" pipe, put an easy to remove lid on it after dropping his 6" sealed pipe in it, he wouldn't have had to force his stash out of the ground. Just dig far enough to remove that lid.

Oh, and don't forget to put a Bill and Hillary kitchen set in there to open your wine and crack your nuts. :D

BHrrrrrr.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads