JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is a good idea, but not easy to pull off. I'd have to find and then search a junk yard, and I'd be surprised if I found any. Are lots of these boxes discarded? Copying stickers from a real one is certainly within my skill set, but my yard is so small there would be no place to put it "out of the way." I think I've already got one of these in my yard, I'll check tomorrow, but I don't think my neighbor does. Maybe I can locate it on his property while he's away and trust him to not realize it wasn't there before. :D

Of course, now that this is on the Internet every transformer box in the county will be broke into. :eek:

But I like this idea!
I have seen tons of these boxes laying on the side of the road.

Just use glued PVC pipe and caps (or electrical conduit or ABS pipe) to store things in. It works for decades to keep really wet moisture within from leaking out so it should be plenty fine for keeping water/moisture out too. Plus pretty readily available. All you need is some tool (like a handsaw) to extract your goodies. And if by chance someone casually digs and finds a section, it looks natural to see piping in the ground.

Just don't call 411 to locate them...

Last Edited:
Just use glued PVC pipe and caps (or electrical conduit or ABS pipe) to store things in. It works for decades to keep really wet moisture within from leaking out so it should be plenty fine for keeping water/moisture out too. Plus pretty readily available. All you need is some tool (like a handsaw) to extract your goodies. And if by chance someone casually digs and finds a section, it looks like natural to see piping in the ground.

Just don't call 411 to locate them...
I like the pipe idea. For my situation, I would like to be able to access the stash at least once every other year and be able to reseal it in the field. I guess you could bring pvc glue and a new cap with you in the field and start with a longer than necessary pipe, to allow for cut down. I wonder what the minimum necessary pipe diameter would be for an AR15.

Edit: This pipe should have plenty of space to clear lower and even a standard stock. It's not cheap but would be the simplest solution with the fewest components involved. I may try this first.

It looks like each entry to your stash will cost about $10 between cap and glue.

Last Edited:
Just use glued PVC pipe and caps (or electrical conduit or ABS pipe) to store things in.

I built one of those, but I haven't buried it yet, I just wanted to have it done ahead of time in case I have a tense situation in the future.

But mine is glued on at one end and uses one of the screw on caps at the other end, so I don't have to cut/pry it off and reglue it. I guess I should give it the water test.

Yes, the caps are a few bucks, but the 18" piece of 4" pipe I bought wasn't, it was about $30 as I recall. I would say I was shocked by the price, but that description has already been used in this thread. I was disappointed by the cost.

More on the buried PVC pipes. I think these are usually buried vertically, so they fit nice and neat in the hole you dug out with a post hole digger. One reference to this suggested putting an upside down bowl over the top (end that opens, if you have a screw-on cap) to deflect any water coming down around the pipe. Of course, if the hole is completely flooded that won't be as effective.

And one more cool idea, involving more work (bigger hole) and more money. Buy both a 4" pipe and a 6" pipe. Dig the hole to fit the 6" pipe. Put the goods in the 4" pipe, seal it, and drop it down into the 6" pipe. Seal the 6" pipe (definitely need a screw on cap here). Now when you go to retrieve the 4" pipe, you don't have to drag it out of the surrounding dirt, it will just slip out of the 6" pipe. Of course, you still have to dig down to the 6" pipe, but that is easier.

Attach some sort of cord or lanyard to the 4" pipe at the top, so you can easily pull it out.

For my situation, I would like to be able to access the stash at least once every other year and be able to reseal it in the field. I guess you could bring pvc glue and a new cap with you in the field and start with a longer than necessary pipe, to allow for cut down.
It should be plenty good enough to use threaded components on one end instead of sealing with glue for long term storage. The threaded joints would work to allow routine inspections (or adding to) of the stashed item(s). Just be sure to use thread tape to get proper watertight seal and to prevent galling of the threads. I'd stay away from thread paste as I don't know if there could be "fumes" that might cause corrosion or plastic damage. To reopen just bring a couple larger strap wrenches to remove the plug and more thread tape to reseal.

ABS piping would likely be much cheaper to use plus also much lighter than PVC counterparts. This could also be intentionally left accessible without digging if you made it look like a cleanout connection at the surface near your house. The ABS pipe buried horizontally would likely look like sewer piping to unwanted visitors and remain untouched. Be careful to not confuse it with your real sewer piping when recovering it.

Last Edited:
I have several surplus tubes like this with an o-ring cap:
fd98a646-0878-566b-b747-bc01a742db33_1024x1024@2x.jpg
The interior is double sided - I believe the inner wall is anti-static because it is a tube for a powder charge.

I've not been able to find more of these anywhere.

697111m2_ts.jpg

Buried metal items can be located in many ways. If you do it be creative and have it under a bunch of surface junk metal that isn't obvious cover. Engine parts, a block, etc.

Don't bother burying cash. If there comes a point where you need to dig it up chances are it will be greatly devalued or worthless. Well, TP possibly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top