JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get something with a GOOD barrel.

No matter which way you go(build/buy) get a good Barrel, a preferably a good Bolt/Carrier that is headspaced to the barrel.

The single most important piece... the hardest to change out, and if done right the most expensive, is the barrel. The barrel is the gun IMO.

The AR market is in the toilet right now, and excellent, high quality guns are selling for 1/2 what they did a couple years ago because the average gun buyer has no idea the difference between a $250 BCM barrel
and a $50 BCA Barrel.

Besides PSA. I have also used kits from this seller.

http://www.model1sales.com/

But, that was back before the AW ban.

I have several kits from PSA (and cheap receivers) just stilling. LOL....they were purchased because, "Just In Case"......

LMFAO, both are complete garbage in my book.

This last weekend I was in Goldendale for the Cerberus carbine course (thank you btw for no one showing up, I had Steve all to myself for some awesome 2 days of training) there I shot my 16" PSA upper middy on top of a BCM lower, my BCM 14.5 middy updated with my standard ambi controls, Sprinco Blue Spring and ALG ACT trigger the first day switched out to Geissele SD-C the second and lastly my SIONICS 16" middy build with an A5 buffer system. Anyone saying they are all the same thing needs to lay off the crack pipe, they are not. Sure you can spend $500 on a PSA and that's what you'll get, a $500 Piece of Sh!t Ar. Just ask Steve, I tried to get him to shoot my PSA uppered AR multiple times and he wouldn't do it, but I practically had to wrestle my SIONICS away from him.

What I always tell first time AR buyers that ask this question is just get yourself a quality factory assembled AR from a reputable manufacturer such as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, SIONICS leave it alone and be done with it. Learn the the system, get a copy of AR TM 9-1005-319-23&P (Nov 2008 is the latest I believe) take a class or two with it, then if you want to build something you'll have a little bit of a clue what of you are doing and what you want.

Regardless of what some will say there is know-how beyond boobtube and specialized tools are required to PROPERLY build a quality AR. Steer clear of the guys breaking out framing hammers, 2x4's and pipe wrenches, there's a clue in there somewhere.

For those that just have build to but do not have the knowledge or possess the tools and don't what want to make the investment I suggest getting a SIONICS Gutless Wonder, it comes with everything a novice will have trouble with and still gives the ability to customize furniture and controls to personal choice. What I would do is order an A5 receiver extension from BCM, Magpul or Vltor, send it to Tucson and have them slap that on in lieu of the standard carbine RE.

Last Edited:
The AR market is in the toilet right now, and excellent, high quality guns are selling for 1/2 what they did a couple years ago because the average gun buyer has no idea the difference between a $250 BCM barrel
and a $50 BCA Barrel.

Fact.

Now is the time to buy. It always cracks me up when people wait for the next "panic" to buy there weapons and wonder why they can't get half of what they paid for it down the road when they go to sell.

LMFAO, both are complete garbage in my book.

This last weekend I was in Goldendale for the Cerberus carbine course (thank you btw for no one showing up, I had Steve all to myself for some awesome 2 days of training) there I shot my 16" PSA upper middy on top of a BCM lower, my BCM 14.5 middy updated with my standard ambi controls, Sprinco Blue Spring and ALG ACT trigger the first day switched out to Geissele SD-C the second and lastly my SIONICS 16" middy build with an A5 buffer system. Anyone saying they are all the same thing needs to lay off the crack pipe, they are not. Sure you can spend $500 on a PSA and that's what you'll get, a $500 Piece of Sh!t Ar. Just ask Steve, I tried to get him to shoot my PSA uppered AR multiple times and he wouldn't do it, but I practically had to wrestle my SIONICS away from him.

What I always tell first time AR buyers that ask this question is just get yourself a quality factory assembled AR from a reputable manufacturer such as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, SIONICS leave it alone and be done with it. Learn the the system, get a copy of AR TM 9-1005-319-23&P (Nov 2008 is the latest I believe) take a class or two with it, then if you want to build something you'll have a little bit of a clue what of you are doing and what you want.

Regardless of what some will say there is know-how beyond boobtube and specialized tools are required to PROPERLY build a quality AR. Steer clear of the guys breaking out framing hammers, 2x4's and pipe wrenches, there's a clue in there somewhere.

For those that just have build but do not have the knowledge or possess the tools and don't what want to make the investment I suggest getting a SIONICS Gutless Wonder, it comes with everything a novice will have trouble with and still gives the ability to customize furniture and controls to personal choice. What I would do is order an A5 receiver extension from BCM, Magpul or Vltor, send it to Tucson and have them slap that on in lieu of the standard carbine RE.

I agree and disagree with this. I can and have out shot many a people with high dollar AR's with my M&P sport and the only thing I have done to it is installed a red dot sight. But now I have high dollar AR's as well and the sport sits in the safe. :D

I agree and disagree with this. I can and have out shot many a people with high dollar AR's with my M&P sport and the only thing I have done to it is installed a red dot sight. But now I have high dollar AR's as well and the sport sits in the safe. :D

Not talking about out shooting anyone, I'm talking strictly about quality of weapon. In other words, I'm speaking of the arrow not the Indian.

Then WTF can't PSA grab the proper size drill bit when they make a gas port or properly stake the carrier key?

I was refering to my builds using parts obtained from various online suppliers including psa. Some of my most accurate and reliable builds are far from my most expensive. The only psa barrels I have tried are the fn chf models and they are top notch.

IMG_0541.JPG

Less than $1000 dollars into this side charge. One of my favorite rifles to shoot. Most of the money went into the upper and the barrel.

And my point is that a cheaper AR can be just as reliable and you don't have to go buy a $1500 or $2000 dollar AR. o_O

I never said one had to spend $1500-2000, Colts and BCM can be had for $750-900 all day long, regardless I still doubt a $500 PSA will be as reliable in the long run and I know for sure they don't run as smooth.

I suspect that a $500 gun will outlast quite a few shooters out there and will be more than adequate for the occasional range trip to shoot a couple of mags.
I would venture a guess that most who buy a 500 round case of ammo have it for quite some time and don't burn it all up in a weekend of shooting.
Getting a laser precision barrel is not going to produce tiny groups if you don't shoot often and practice. A lot
For those who don't shoot 10,000 rounds a month a regular ol Nitrated barrel will do just fine.

As far as reliability, like what?
Assuming the rifle was correctly assembled and in spec.
Go to shoot it and the barrel go flying down range?
Upper or lower crack in half?
If the BCG is just a plain Jane mil-spec one, upgrade to a better one and keep it as a spare. Should consider getting a spare BCG just in case anyway IMO.

A NiB BCG and A5 action should make even the POS PSA squirt guns run smooth.

If I was doing my first build with what I have gleaned so far..
I would have went with an assembled upper of choice from insert vendor_________ with a NiB BCG and a Lower Parts Kit. No trigger group and no stock.
Two stage trigger. (Personal choice)
Vltor A5 action with H2 buffer and a Hogue stock.

The NiB BCG, two stage trigger and A5 action are next on the list of changes and upgrades and I'll probably call it a day after that.

I consider PSA premium to sort of be like a wasr... A horny whore who will eat anything and have a chrome lined CHF barrel without paying out the nose... With a lot of haters to follow.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top