JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey there just looking into either purchasing my first rifle looking to see if it would be better buying a nice quality built ar such as a Daniel Defense rifle or would building one be just as good want to know what you guys think and or suggest I should do. Would buying an expensive ar be my best rout or I wouldn't mind building one for cheaper and for about the same quality?

build around a quality barrel or a barrel bolt combo. the rest is user preference. why spend 2k on a LWRC, DD etc just to change everything on it down the road and add more to the cost.

Do you already own one? Do you know exactly what you want in a AR?

If not then start with a cheap entry model and go shoot the crap out of it and figure out what you want. If you know exactly what you want and its intended purpose then I would roll your own. ;)

A few factors to think about.

Budget- doesn't it matter? If it's not an issue, buy a quality brand like DD and move on. I feel you can build a better rifle for much less. But this factors into the next items.

Resale- a DD, Noveski etc will resale for more than a custom build. If that matters to you, buy the complete rifle off the shelf.

Knowledge- building an AR is fun. No better way to understand the system than building it. Figuring out what upgrades matter TO YOU only happens when you customize. You'll also understand what a $2k AR vs $500 AR is and if all the trinkets and trash are "worth it" to you. Kind of like your first car.

My son.....when he was a young teen, built his own. I had to buy the receiver. As for the parts......well, he bought and sold some of his other firearms to fund the purchase. He put it together with the help of YouTube.

Later, he sold it to a young adult who was just starting out. He might have even made a profit on that sale.

Anyway.....
Today, he still owns an AR15 that he found with "quality/named" parts in it. LOL.....I use to always remind him that a "cheaper AR" could/would kill you just as dead (providing that the shooter did his part).

Does he shoot as well as "his old man"? ;)

AND.....if you're only buying one AR......my suggestion would be to buy a COLT. Why?

Based on my experience of the 1994 ban.....well, they were a lot easier to sell (and brought a good ROI) vs. the Frankenstein ARs (or lesser known brands). Most everyone, knows what a COLT is. It sort of sells itself.

When you have to explain why a DD, Noveski, Knight's Armament, etc.... are "better than a COLT" and why you're asking for more money. Well maybe, you'll start to see the problem?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
One of the biggest reasons I would hate to build my own is because I don't really know parts well and I'm not sure if all the parts that I would buy would even go together sure I tried YouTube but it still seems complicated to me that's why I'm also just thinking about buy an ar off the shelf all I'm looking to add on the weapon is fore grip light and optic so won't be changing much of the internals

building your own is nice, but there are so many options out there, its tough to make a choice with no experience.

An easy option is a cheaper complete rifle, like a $350 Palmetto or something, then use it a bunch, figure out what you don't like, or think could use improvement, and start messing around there. Outside of barrels, expensive AR parts are just about paying for the name, the look, or the collectability.

Stroll through the rifle classifieds and snag one of the many reasonably priced AR's ??
More than a couple that are pretty nice looking for $500 and less.

Exactly what turbo said. I started with a base AR. Then upgraded trigger, furniture etc. You'll learn what you like/need. Save $ for mags and ammo.
No way I'd start with a stripped lower lol. That water is too deep first time.

Depends on your mechanical apptitude. If you can rebuild a simple carburetor you certainly can build out a stripped lower. It is really not that hard and many online resources to help figure it out.:cool:

One of the biggest reasons I would hate to build my own is because I don't really know parts well and I'm not sure if all the parts that I would buy would even go together sure I tried YouTube but it still seems complicated to me that's why I'm also just thinking about buy an ar off the shelf all I'm looking to add on the weapon is fore grip light and optic so won't be changing much of the internals

PSA has kits.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/

The upper barrel and receiver, along with the bolt, have already been headspaced. As for the lower parts.....I'm sure that you could figure it out with the help of an Army Manual and YouTube. IIRC.....some shops even offer classes. And, some have even done a, "Build Party" with other friends.

I did it with only my Army Manual back before the AW ban (and pre internet days). Go slow and read over the instructions before starting off.

After you're finished with your build......you WILL be familiar with the parts. And, IMHO......that's a good thing.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
So if this is your first AR then I say save your money and go buy a off the shelf S&W or Ruger. They will do anything a expensive AR will do.

If you watched YouTube and are still daunted at building your own then I'd do the above and buy an entry level AR.

If you can wait, Black Friday sales are generally good for lower priced pre built rifles.

Depends on your mechanical apptitude. If you can rebuild a simple carburetor you certainly can build out a stripped lower. It is really not that hard and many online resources to help figure it out.:cool:

LOL.......and the youngster asked, "What's a carburetor?"

Aloha, Mark

Nice would you guys mind listing some good parts/companies I could use for a build would really appreciate the help thanks

Besides PSA. I have also used kits from this seller.

http://www.model1sales.com/

But, that was back before the AW ban.

I have several kits from PSA (and cheap receivers) just sitting in the closet. LOL....they were purchased because, "Just In Case"......

Madam_President.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Building an AR for the most part isn't really building a gun.
Unless you start with a bare barrel, stripped upper and lower.

PSA has more than a few complete uppers and rifle kits at a reasonable price.
Install a few pins and springs in the lower or buy a complete lower.
Snap in the pivot pin, close it and snap in the rear pin. Rifle built.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top