JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
hey there just looking into either purchasing my first rifle looking to see if it would be better buying a nice quality built ar such as a Daniel Defense rifle or would building one be just as good want to know what you guys think and or suggest I should do. Would buying an expensive ar be my best rout or I wouldn't mind building one for cheaper and for about the same quality?
Buy a Primary Weapons System "Cannon Parts" Piston Ar15, extreme quality and competitive prices

Lol I got a good scratch on one of mine hehehe.
But now I can pretty much put one together in about a hour.that's start to finish.
With a kit like that probably take me about 15 minutes.Maybe 20minutes you know have to have a coffee break.lol

My first lower took me about 3 hours since to build since had never put together a lower before and did want to make any mistakes so I took my time. Also took my time applying painters tape for everything thing too. Then peeled off and moved on to the next step.

I also lost two detents for my buffer spring retainer too. Found one but still have found the other yet. Good thing I ordered few spares.

Last Edited:
My first lower took me about 3 hours since i had never out together a lower before and did want to make any mistakes so I took my time. Also took my time applying painters tape for everything thing too. Then peeled off and moved on to the next step.

I also lost two detents for my buffer spring retainer too. Found one but still have found the other yet. Good thing I ordered few spares.
Lol I order oops kits. by the dozen

Hammer punch castle nut wrench but that can be done with the hammer and punch.detents can be installed with a Razer blade. what am I missing

Be sure to get extras and wear safety glass going that route, I'll use the right tool.
Also:

Vise
lower vise block
center punch to stake the castle nut
roll pin holder/punch for trigger guard pin or you can bubba them & flatten with a hammer
bolt release pin punch
ft/lb torque wrench if uncomfortable with "feeling it"
pin punch set is a big help

Last Edited:
I only need a punch to stake, punch to deal with pins, my knife with detent springs, and the castle nut wrench... Didn't lose anything. o_O

Well, I lost a $20 bet I don't think that's related.

Be sure to get extras and wear safety glass going that route, I'll use the right tool.
Also:

Vise
lower vise block
center punch to stake the castle nut
roll pin holder/punch for trigger guard pin or you can bubba them a flatten with a hammer
bolt release pin punch
ft/lb torque wench if uncomfortable with "feeling it"
pin punch set is a big help
I forgot about the bolt release pin

One of the biggest reasons I would hate to build my own is because I don't really know parts well and I'm not sure if all the parts that I would buy would even go together sure I tried YouTube but it still seems complicated to me that's why I'm also just thinking about buy an ar off the shelf all I'm looking to add on the weapon is fore grip light and optic so won't be changing much of the internals

Pardon moi, but I didn't read much of the thread so.....

I was in your position about four years ago. I have mechanical abilities but reading all the stuff here just made my head spin regarding building my own. I'd looked real close at some of the ARs on the tables at gun shows. This was when they were still pretty spendy, compared to now anyway. At the time what I considered affordable I didn't care for. I wasn't a fan of plastic on guns, and that's was what was affordable for me. I decided for the heck of it to go into Curt's Discount Shooters Supple as I'd heard they were really decent for all things AR. I ended up getting an AR that they had built at Curt's with a key mod hand guard and slightly better stock than the budget factory ARs. It's been a great gun, for me anyway. And if I ever need anything for it, or have issues, I know Curt's is there. That was my thinking back then. I know a lot more now. Curt's is still there too. I kind of have the urge to build one now. Just because parts are so cheap. I'm not a huge fan of the platform though. I like ARs fine but I don't see a need for two of them. "Blasphemy"? Maybe. But for you, in your position, I'd go along with those saying find a pre-made and play with it for awhile. One thing you can count on for sure is support from the crew at NWFA! 96 posts to a relative new guy on a question about buying or building an AR 15?

Get 'er done!

Or you can go this route.
lol Larue tactical 799 bucks hehe 63e2e965382319d5f65b58c6364c9ed5.jpg

One of the biggest reasons I would hate to build my own is because I don't really know parts well and I'm not sure if all the parts that I would buy would even go together sure I tried YouTube but it still seems complicated to me that's why I'm also just thinking about buy an ar off the shelf all I'm looking to add on the weapon is fore grip light and optic so won't be changing much of the internals

You've picked a good time to do either one build/buy. Seems one can be had for 400 to 500 bucks. Sky is the limit on the high end. I would start on the low end of the spectrum. You can always upgrade later. If you build a high end rifle like you like. resale is tougher cause your taste might be difficult to resale.
The AR platform style rifle is just fun to shoot. Weather you hunt, target shoot or plinking.

Good luck with which ever way you choose to go.

346065AF-ECEF-4E34-B887-6940CE94F3FE.jpeg Build, I used to buy but actually have gotten rid of all my bought ones and just build my own now, it's a lot more fun and you get what you want, here are some of mine that I have built

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top