JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bloomberg group used heroin-abusing actor Hoffman in anti-gun video

David Codrea|Gun Rights Examiner
Subscribe

February 2, 2014

Note: This article was written before news of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's death was announced. The timing of it with the news of his death is purely coincidental. Once published, it was removed and slightly rewritten to accommodate that news by removing recommendations for his future actions.

I made the decision to not remove it entirely in deference to this morning's news with the understanding that this will nonetheless upset some.

-----

“Cartoonists create film to fight for gun control, sponsored by Mayors Against Illegal Guns,” Saturday post on Mike Vanderboegh’s Sipsey Street Irregulars blog reported, providing a link to a New York Daily News story that many of us, including this correspondent, missed when it was published last April.

“The group, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, recruited the talents of the nations [sic] top cartoonists, with narration by Philip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore,” the “report” by “political reporter” Adam Edelman explained. Not unexpectedly, considering the source, even though the story was presented as “news,” a quick read shows it to be undisguised, agenda-driven propaganda, dripping with Edelman’s personal sympathies and subjective opinions.

The choice of Hoffman as a narrator perhaps explains why the video has not been promoted more and why, after nine months of being released by an organization backed by Bloomberg’s vast financial and media resources, the You Tube video has attracted fewer than 173,000 views at this writing. And “legitimate news media real reporter/Authorized Journalist” Edelman’s pronouncements that the cartoon is “moving” and “touching” notwithstanding, comments for the video have been disabled by the MAIG Coalition lest any might disagree, and find it brainless, shallow and manipulative.

So much for that “national conversation on guns.”

The reason Hoffman’s participation proves problematic for the Bloomberg group is because, the month after the cartoon was released, TMZ.com reported the actor had “just got out of detox for a drug problem that was spinning out of control.

“[He had] struggled with substance abuse in the past [and] fell off the wagon more than a year ago,” the report elaborated. “He tells TMZ it started slowly with prescription pills, and recently escalated to snorting heroin.”

In other words, he was abusing drugs during the time he provided voice-over services oozing with concern “for the children” in a professionally-produced media campaign calling for increased infringement on the right of clean and sober Americans to keep and bear arms, meaning Hoffman was engaging in illegal and grossly irresponsible behavior that actually disqualified him from having a gun himself.

“Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic, or any controlled substance?” question 11.e. on ATF’s Form 4473 Firearm Transfer Record asks. If the answer is “yes,” federal law classifies the respondent a “prohibited person,” who would be committing a felony if he’s in possession of a gun. In other words, it would have made Hoffman the very type of person MAIG says it wants guns to be “illegal” for (disregarding the reality that their efforts seem wholly targeted toward demanding more infringements against the “law-abiding”).

That makes Hoffman’s narration of the anti-gun video all the more creepy, particularly with his opening line, asking “How many more street corners,” as a frightened woman walks along a seedy urban street, eyed by a character in a car and another across the street, with a despondent-looking shadow figure in the foreground. And that’s because, by contributing to the heroin trade as a user, Hoffman has helped fund some of the most desperate, dangerous and violent people not just in the U.S. but also the murderous international cartels that produce and smuggle the junk into the country, distribute it to the neighborhoods, and fight turf wars with guns they have no problem getting, with stupid things like Form 4473s and gun bans not even slowing them down.

“A heroin epidemic claiming the lives of young adults locally and across the nation is continuing despite a crackdown on suppliers and increased efforts to warn users of the drug's deadly effects,” USA Today (part of the anti-gun Gannett newspaper chain) reported Friday, not just about MAIG’s birthplace city, but across the land.

“A newly issued report sponsored by the National Institute on Drug Abuse has determined that a heroin epidemic is underway in South Florida,” The Miami Herald corroborated. “The problem has become an epidemic, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, in the aftermath of the crackdown on pill mills that dispensed high-potency painkillers.”

Sound like anyone we know?

“Scourge of Heroin Abuse in Vermont Mirrors National Epidemic,” ABC News echoed.

“Heroin is killing Cuyahoga County residents by the hundreds,” the Cleveland Plain Dealer chimed in. “Overdoses were the number one cause of accidental death in 2013, according to the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office."

“[State Attorney General]Mike DeWine said statistics compiled by his office show at least 11 Ohioans die each week from heroin-related overdoses, with the real total of heroin-related deaths likely to be even higher,” the Akron Beacon Journal confirmed.

It’s not just junkies killing themselves.

“Most of Chicago’s violent crime comes from gangs trying to maintain control of drug-selling territories,” Drug Enforcement Administration Chicago Division Special Agent in Charge Jack Riley, who leads a five-state region that includes most of Illinois, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Indiana, told none other than Bloomberg News, owned and controlled by none other than you-know-who, last September.

The results of that activity?

“Black Youth Murders in Chicago Being Driven by Mexican Drug Cartels,” the “progressive” political commentary website KultureKritic.com concludes, summarizing the Bloomberg report.

This is what Hoffman has helped to perpetuate. Anyone buying heroin is getting it from very dangerous people who are part of an organized underworld ultimately enriching the murderous cartels. How telling, therefore, that someone who has exhibited lifelong issues controlling himself insists on controlling others, and someone who has helped enable the violence would undermine the ability to defend against it.

Hoffman was narrator of MAIG gun control cartoon

Yesterday’s death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman from an apparent drug overdose is being discussed by Seattle Times readers who are taking time out from celebrating the Seahawks Super
Bowl win, but his loss may also be a small setback for the gun prohibition movement.

<broken link removed>

As family, friends and fans mourn the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, new details about the actor's apparent drug overdose emerged Monday.

The Oscar-winning actor, 46, was found dead in a New York City apartment just after 11:30 a.m. Sunday — with a syringe still in his arm. Law enforcement sources told NBC News that authorities at the scene found roughly 50 bags of heroin, numerous syringes, addiction treatment medication, blood pressure medication, and a muscle relaxan

Hoffman found with 50 bags of heroin, addiction meds: sources - U.S. News

He really makes a good spokesman for Bloomies anti gun messages!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

This guy being found dead with 50 bags of heroin really shouldn't surprise anyone. For the most part the Hollywood left, limousine liberal, anti-gun and anti-Republican celebrities seem to have two main modes of death; airplane crashes and drug overdoses. I am guessing if we counted them up drug overdoses would have about a 10 to 1 edge. Why would anyone listen to any of them about anything?

This guy being found dead with 50 bags of heroin really shouldn't surprise anyone. For the most part the Hollywood left, limousine liberal, anti-gun and anti-Republican celebrities seem to have two main modes of death; airplane crashes and drug overdoses. I am guessing if we counted them up drug overdoses would have about a 10 to 1 edge. Why would anyone listen to any of them about anything?

This pretty much nails it.

considering that over 60% of the 32,000 gun deaths in the US are suicides, and heroin deaths are about a quarter of that at 4,200, both things can be used to serve their owners to the last full measure. I believe that people should be free to check out when they want to. Hoffman was an incredible actor, I keep thinking of his role as Gust Avrakotos in Charley Wilson's War (the book is amazing ten thousand times better than the movie) but Hoffmann really nailed that character! I like movies, I think they are fantastic art that is available to almost everyone. I'm not alone, the box office from Avatar is about 300 billion dollars.

Hoffman found with 50 bags of heroin, addiction meds: sources - U.S. News

He really makes a good spokesman for Bloomies anti gun messages!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

He actually did fit right in with many other members of bloomys organization, including lots of mayors with felony priors.
At least ya know they won't be voting for themselves...

This is what Hoffman has helped to perpetuate. Anyone buying heroin is getting it from very dangerous people who are part of an organized underworld ultimately enriching the murderous cartels. How telling, therefore, that someone who has exhibited lifelong issues controlling himself insists on controlling others, and someone who has helped enable the violence would undermine the ability to defend against it.

Win!

As a group actors are twits. Just think back to high school and what type of boys were attracted to the drama club. These were not exactly the most emotionally stable individuals. The girls were more of a mixed bag but also had a high quotient of flakes.
Just because an individual can pretend to be something different on stage or a set does not make them that.

Some of the most popular actors today are the most out of touch with reality people on the planet. ( See - Tom Cruise, comparing his "tough" lifestyle to a soldiers?) They make their living being something that they're not, trading reality for fantasy....it must be addicting, I think that's why so many of these individuals seek comfort in mind altering drugs.

Weak? Anyone as 'not attractive as Hoffman who makes it as a professional film actor is not weak lucky maybe but not weak. Look the guy decided to kill himself, that's not very weak either.

Ya it takes a real man to pollute your body or off yourself to escape a reality you most likely created in order to solve your problems. More likely mental illness to some degree

Look the guy decided to kill himself, that's not very weak either.

Yes, that is weak. Unless he had some debilitating physical disease with unbearable amounts of pain and a short road to death anyway, it is weak. Facing your problems, no matter what they are, shows strength.

Weak? Anyone as 'not attractive as Hoffman who makes it as a professional film actor is not weak lucky maybe but not weak. Look the guy decided to kill himself, that's not very weak either.

Killing yourself, either through drugs or though suicide is the ultimate cowardly act by a weak human being.

Killing yourself, either through drugs or though suicide is the ultimate cowardly act by a weak human being.

Let's see I'm worth 35 million, and set up to coast through the rest of my life having to only do what I want while people will worship me for my greatness. given this situation what weaker act would top retiring and enjoying myself as much as possible.

Let's see I'm worth 35 million, and set up to coast through the rest of my life having to only do what I want while people will worship me for my greatness. given this situation what weaker act would top retiring and enjoying myself as much as possible.

Only people like you "worship" douchebags like Hoffman....

its that kind of mindless devotion that has got us into a lot of the serious issues we face as a nation.

Suicide is the weakest thing you can do.

Your comments don't even make sense, not even a little.

Two types of people should have their names simply forgotten.

1. Mass killers.
2. People who commit suicide.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top