JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To my thinking it's the gun, not the ammo. Ever watch those youtube videos of triple charging a hipoint 9mm pistol with a bolt driven down the barrel and then touching it off?
The pistol was fine after all kinds of shenanigans.

Yeah-Butt....That was a "High Point" man! "HIGH POINT!! :s0115:

The only weirdness I'd ever experienced was with a Bushmaster AR heavey barreled commando match carbine.

Some how a empty case ended up getting all jammed up under the trigger group and ultimatly required that I remove the entire trigger assembly to finally get it out. Once I was actually able to free the lower from the upper that is,, which wasn't easy at all.

I never saw anything like it before or sense, but it sure was a bear to get out having been bent like a banana and holding the trigger pin really really tight plus having the BCG locked up tight as a drum , half way back with a live round half way chambered.

Having 4 ar's and firing thousands & thousands of rounds combined through them it was the first and only time it's ever happened to me or ever heard of such a thing. But defiantly a strange occurrence IMO. No idea how that could have even happened to be honest???

I was using regular 55gr Lake City GI ammo, non reloads BTW nothing special or different.

Factory ammo, not reloaded. It appears that it fired out of battery (looking at the damage to the case) and since my face got peppered I tend to think the slide was not fully forward when it went off.
Out of battery won't do that to a gun. Either an obstruction in the barrel, or overloaded ammo. Was it factory ammo, or Reman?

Yes, a high primer (out of battery discharge), soft brass, or reloaded brass that blows out will do that to a plastic gun. I've been there with eyes on it when at least five Glocks have gone to Austrian Heaven when the case blew out, and yes, with factory ammo, usually .40 S&W. I was ROing for a guy who had his Glock blow and then he turns around and nearly nails me in the foot with the now parts of a gun. I was inside the club house when a bunch more Glocks blew too, every Glock got trashed. Yes, Glock replaced MOST of them, covered half of a few others, offered a new gun at dealer, with lots of upgrades at no cost for some too. A steel framed gun will just shrug it off, which I happen to know from personal experience, unfortunately. And yes, revolvers have their own problems too. If you think nothing can happen to a revolver, you need to go to some major matches or talk to some pistolsmiths.

Yes, a high primer (out of battery discharge), soft brass, or reloaded brass that blows out will do that to a plastic gun. I've been there with eyes on it when at least five Glocks have gone to Austrian Heaven when the case blew out, and yes, with factory ammo, usually .40 S&W. I was ROing for a guy who had his Glock blow and then he turns around and nearly nails me in the foot with the now parts of a gun. I was inside the club house when a bunch more Glocks blew too, every Glock got trashed. Yes, Glock replaced MOST of them, covered half of a few others, offered a new gun at dealer, with lots of upgrades at no cost for some too. A steel framed gun will just shrug it off, which I happen to know from personal experience, unfortunately. And yes, revolvers have their own problems too. If you think nothing can happen to a revolver, you need to go to some major matches or talk to some pistolsmiths.
I never said "nothing" can happen to a revolver

Glad there was no serious injury.

I seem to recall reading recently about a long list of catastrophic failures of the XDS' and the XD/M's to the point quite a few police agencies won't allow them to be carried.

I hate to say it but, this is much less likely to happen in a revolver!
Maybe.....

maybe not

sw blowup.jpg sw blowup2.jpg

So you did. Or did not. Or whichever. OK, you said "much less likely to happen in a revolver", which is a quote and should cover what you said handily, although not a full quote of what you said, but if anyone wants, they can go back and read your post to ensure I am not misquoting you, and if you are referring to a case bulge, high primer or rim blow out, that is generally true. However.... yes they can still, and do, happen. Go talk to any good pistolsmith, or again, go to any major revolver match, although admittedly, a high primer going off accidentally can and does happen in revolvers as well, usually when the cylinder is being shut with some force, it is no more common then it is in an automatic. Actually, again going to a major match, the auto is far more reliable than the revolver. True, both can break down, jam, have problems, but the auto is far and away easier to clear, get back into action, more reliable, easier to repair, etc., so on and so forth. Again, go talk to a pistolsmith.

I've heard "a revolver is more/much more/generally/often/etc., reliable, safer, accurate, sturdier, simpler, than an auto" so many times I should patent it and charge for the use. While a revolver is, generally/usually/often/normally/sometimes (want to cover the bases so you don't nit pick) simpler to shoot, just point/pull, usually/generally/often/normally, there are exceptions, and they DO jam. Clearing a jam is MUCH harder, (had a new Ruger DA revolver do that on the first cylinder full, so I know that part too), and if a bullet gets jammed in the forcing cone, that is a real fun fix! Not especially hard, but cutting the bullet in two can be a pain and takes time. Oddly the bullet stuck in the barrel is fairly straight forward, but the gun is down again too, yes, for both, but pulling an auto barrel is normally/generally/often/usually easy and if you have a spare barrel, say in the same or a different cartridge, the gun is back in service in moments.

I hope this clears up any problems, misapprehensions, or other things that may have concerned you about my comment. It was not my intent to misquote, impune or otherwise disparage you. I beg your forgiveness in this unfortunate matter and hope this puts it behind us.

When ammo was plenty, I avoided WWB like the plague. Saw too many threads on forums involving that ammo and factory issues.

Folks mention issues with white box, however I have a feeling it's not the same type of Winchester White box which we shoot a bunch of & prefer.

Perhaps it's just 115gr round nose which have been a common turd??

However Winchester 9mm 124gr NATO is pretty darned decent stuff. Almost a +P. Also a white box.

Have shot many thousands of it without issue.

Do not shoot anymore ammo from that box, also let that manufacturer know the lot # and what happened, keep all emails and responses. They will no doubt place blame elsewhere but I would think you would know if gun was outof battery ( unless rapid firing)

It definitely takes an overcharge to do that to a revolver. I've personally tested this with an old Taurus 38 special. It took a quadruple charge of red dot powder to produce a result like this. 2x and 3x charges wouldn't do it.

My point is that most revolvers are far stronger because the cartridge is surrounded by steel with no feed ramp and there is no such thing as an out of battery ignition. Also, a high primer usually makes it noticeably more difficult to close the cylinder at all.

Remember, this is all in fractions of a second.....

1. The round fired.

2. The slide started it's rearward motion.

3. The extractor was pulling the shell rearward.

However, in a recoil operated handgun, the slide and bolt should move rearward as a single unit while the bullet is in the barrel and pressure is high, then separate and extract after the bullet has left. If the bullet is still in the barrel when the bolt and barrel separate, that's a design flaw.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top