JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
tell winchester you can make this go away for the cost of 10,000 rounds of 9mm and then be like every other gouger on here and sell it for 50 to 80 cents a round. dang, youd be rich for a week.

:rolleyes:

I emailed Springfield but I am not holding my breath that they will help. The bummer is this is the only 9mm I have and I've got over 1,000 rounds (not Winchester)sitting in the safe. I guess it's time to look for a replacement gun. :D
I'll keep this nice & short, but when it happened to me, HK immediately threw the ammo manufacturer under the bus. Ammo company wanted everything sent to them, including what was left of the gun + remaining ammo. They said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the ammo returned to them, but was going to replace my gun. I received new, replacement HK USP + bunch & bunch of ammo to compensate me for shipping & FFL fee.

I wish you luck in getting this handled probably with the ammo manufacturer. I was respectful with them & they were very professional with me!(one of the reasons I decided not to disclose the brand)

I've put about 100 rounds through it since buying it new 4 years ago.

I admit I'm in a special place but....

I buy one I throw 500 through it in a day.

If it fails then, or later, I grab another non failure and drive on.

lts taken me a long time to learn that not all guns are grand dads hand me down Winchesters and to be ok with grabbing one and driving it hard, and another as necessary.

EDC for years with a hundred rounds on her?!??

You have a lot of faith.

Last Edited:
I have seen this kind of blow out with ammo. Reloaded ammo. So my bet is ammo was somehow bad from factory. The primer being gone sure looks like over charge. As mentioned I would expect the ammo maker and gun maker to both point fingers at the other but, would have to hope one of them will give you a new gun. If not it would be a waste of time to go to a lawyer. None are going to take the case free and what you would have to pay to sue would be many times the price of the gun. So keep the ammo that was going in, the blow case, and pics. Then start with both Springfield and Win. See if one or the other will make it right. Just damn glad you did not get hurt.

Yes it is a testament to Springfield that you are not badly injured. Like the others I think it is Winchester's fault'

If you have to get a new gun I assume you are looking a a single stack
You could get a Glock 43X or 48 (48) is too big for a pocket and the 43X might be too big for your pocket.
FN 503 is the new kid with a comparable size to a shorter 3.3 XDS. The 503 has good reviews by everyone I have seen. I have never handled one. I do appreciate my 509 though.
Springfield now offers the XDS optic ready (You lost the loaded chamber indicator with the Optics ready version and get a Peep Hole) The Mod 2 (Mod 1's no longer produced) has a more ergonomic grip shape, a memory bump on the grip safety (Helpful to me) different grip texture. Any current XDS holster should work saving you time and money.

Truly glad you are okay.

Round was double charged from the factory. Primer blown out, case stuck in the chamber, unsupported portion of the case failed, enough energy left to destroy the firearm. Waay tooo much powder.
I also believe the handgun should have been capable of containing a catastrophic ammunition failure without self destruction. Not sure I would want to shoot another of that make and model.
Just my uneducated opinion. I am not a gunsmith, just an engineer.

Last Edited:
I emailed Springfield but I am not holding my breath that they will help. The bummer is this is the only 9mm I have and I've got over 1,000 rounds (not Winchester)sitting in the safe. I guess it's time to look for a replacement gun. :D
SIG makes a variety of 9mm handguns that seem to be well manufactured and reliable. Glock makes a number of 9mm models that folks seem to be happy with. If i were in your position, I would go to range where you can try out a couple of different makes and models so you can chose one that fits your hands and purpose. (Open carry or concealed).
I would probably avoid using the same make and model of the self disassembling handgun you already own. Perhaps one of the instructors on the forum would be interested in the destroyed handgun for a teaching display.

Look for a new handgun somewhere in the mid range of the cost/quality curve. You should never the cheapest handgun you can find. You will tend to get what you pay for. I try to avoid the high-end, custom- build excessively expensive guns. they are nice, but most are too nice. i like to shoot my guns and I carry them. They get used. That's why I bought them.

If you are interested in trying out a few 9mm handguns, I have a sig 938 and a Glock 17 you could try out up at Clark Rifles with me. Have others you can try , also. Desert Eagle 50ae, Les Baer 45acp Commander size, Wilson Combat full size 45cp and a Glock G40 in 10mm. You should test drive a few before you decide.

Shoot me a private message if you are interested. I'm a retired guy and have bit of free time to help out.

Pulled the trigger on my EDC pistol (XDS 9mm) today and it went KA-BLAM in my hand. My face got peppered and my right hand felt like it did when I forgot to drop a firecracker when I was a kid. Other than a bruised trigger finger I walked away.

I had to push the stuck casing out from the muzzle end and then it was a bugger getting the slide off (I found severe swelling of the frame). I also found a crack from the trigger opening to the right hand side magazine release and a HUGE crack on the frame at the top of the right side on the grip.

I've attached pics of the frame and the casing that was stuck in the barrel so I can get input from you all before I contact Springfield. The warranty does not cover defective ammo (this was factory, not reload). I have no idea where the primer went but it was gone after the KA-BLAM. The ammo looked fine when I loaded the magazine and came out of my dry gun safe.

What do you think? Was this due to the ammo or?
Thanks!

View attachment 801212 View attachment 801213 View attachment 801214 View attachment 801215 View attachment 801216
You should've bought a Glock.

I would blame both ammo and weapon, ammo was over pressured because of bullet set back.
I would see if there is proper crimp on ammo. I would see how much effort to remove bullet,
with puller? How much pressure to shove bullet into case? What does case at crimp measure?
My two guesses would be, 1 bullet got set back while being chambered. 2 cartridge was abused
somewhere in it's life, causing the bullet to be drove into case.
As for what concerns set back presents, it can cause chamber pressures to increase unpredictably, and potentially to dangerous levels. I think a good example of this is, Speer did a test using a 9mm cartridge. they developed a normal load that was producing a reasonable average pressure of 28,000 cup at a given OAL. Then they used the same load, but this time they seated the bullet .030" deeper. The result was pressures went to 62,000 cup, that's over double the pressures as opposed to the original OAL.
The case blowout seams to be at the unsupported area of the feed ramps.
So the bolt slamming the back of the cartridge, forcing the bullet into the feed ramps and chamber.
could cause setback to a cartridge. Raising pressure too the point of taking the path of least resistance.
What came first the chicken or the egg?

Not having time to read 3 pages of replies, I was shooting a few years back and encountered something that looked much like this.
He had this happen to him with a Sig1911, and the spent case looked like a hacksaw was taken to it, in the same area you experienced.
It was a very clean shear, not large and ragged like yours.
His hand was just blackened, and it was determined by Sig that it had fired out of battery.
Hope this helps

Contact both Springfield and the ammo manufacture. They will both blame the other based on a past experience but that will get ball rolling. Might want to contact a lawyer as well. Very happy to hear you came out using nothing but a bruised trigger finger!
Another reason that it is best to leave ammo stored in the original packaging.
Best,
Gary

You should've bought a Glock.
The funny part is I only bought the XDS 9mm for a range gun to match my wife's XDS 45 EDC. I'd not had a 9mm before and I absolutely love my Glock 27 and M&P40C, but I eventually started to EDC the XDS because it is slimmer and lighter than the G27.

I think I'll either end up with a G43X or go back to EDC the G27 and sell off the 9mm ammo, but getting a new gun sounds like the most fun.:D

1) "I wish you luck in getting this handled probably with the ammo manufacturer. I was respectful with them & they were very professional with me!(one of the reasons I decided not to disclose the brand)"
Actually, that shows me that they are honorable people. Mistakes occur. How they handle it shows what kind of ethics they have.

2) Hey, you can just have the crack welded up and ground flush - Voila! :eek:

3) I agree with everybody else as to the cause.

Last Edited:
To my thinking it's the gun, not the ammo. Ever watch those youtube videos of triple charging a hipoint 9mm pistol with a bolt driven down the barrel and then touching it off?
The pistol was fine after all kinds of shenanigans.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top