JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I couldn't read the head stamp on the photo of the fired case. What brand ammunition was it? Was it just a generic 115 gr FMJ? It sure looks like it could have been an out of battery incident, perhaps exacerbated by an over pressure load. Maybe +P+++?

The bullet could have engaged the rifling due to long OAL and poor taper crimp, spiking the pressure.
A grossly undercharge case could have had an air-det.
Overcharged ammo.
Fired out of battery.
If the brass was remanufactured, it may have had a weakened section from firing in an unsupported chamber ie Gen 1-3 Glk.
The pics suggest an unsupported chamber blow out as well as firing out of battery.
The more generous the chamber size, the more likely something like this is going to happen.
My friends 380 EZ ejects brass that just plain looks ballooned. I refuse to fire it, or reuse his brass.

I would say ammo overcharge due to the missing primer and the dis colorization in and on outer edge of the primer pocket on the opposite side of the blowout. Glad you are OK for the most part but you're probably going to flinch when pulling a trigger for a while. Make sure you save and do not disturb the residue on that casing along with the rest of the rounds from that box of ammo, too bad you couldn't find the primer but obviously you had other things on your mind.

IMG-1695.jpg

If the same round were chambered too many times, or simply loaded into the gun too many times, could that weaken the casing enough to cause something like this?

If the same round were chambered too many times, or simply loaded into the gun too many times, could that weaken the casing enough to cause something like this?
Yes, if it were chambered off slide release multiple times, the bullet could have moved forward in the case, allowing it to engage the rifling. That is generally a recipe for a major pressure spike.

I've had the same thing happen blown out at the same spot, using factory Reman ammo using Winchester case's .saving a few cents a round can end up expensive.( All steel Guns matter ) :eek:

Looks like an overcharged round. Missing primers tend to be an indicator.

I would love to here the manufacturer?

yes- repeated chambering can push the bullet further back into the case ( setback) and that can cause over pressure-
The shape of the hole in the case suggests an overpressure blow out where the case overhangs the feed ramp.

Good luck, Winchester will say it was Springfield's fault. Springfield will claim it was defective ammo. And since you weren't injured, no attorney will be interested in taking your case unless you put up a $5k retainer to try to recover less than $1k in damages. I suppose you could sue them in small claims court and win a Summary Judgment, since they probably wouldn't bother to appear. Then file a transcript in their state of incorporation. Might get something out of them that way, but only if you are willing to spend the time and endure the hassle. Probably have better luck scalping what is left of the remaining ammo to replace your firearm.

I emailed Springfield but I am not holding my breath that they will help. The bummer is this is the only 9mm I have and I've got over 1,000 rounds (not Winchester)sitting in the safe. I guess it's time to look for a replacement gun. :D

Contact both Springfield and the ammo manufacture. They will both blame the other based on a past experience but that will get ball rolling. Might want to contact a lawyer as well. Very happy to hear you came out using nothing but a bruised trigger finger!

Im leaning in the direction of the overcharge as others have said however, not knocking your edc at all and had one while back. I know a lot of safety recalls were done on the xds9 and 45 I would take a look at all the recalls and use it to your advantage when talking with Springfield.

looks like an out of battery or overcharged ammo.

im leaning toward out of battery because if the primer was on the breach face it would have stayed in and not left a carbon trail on the rim of the case.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top