JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my "old age"....

1703355829920.png

Aloha, Mark

OP: After looking at your avatar I'm curious if this is your "dinosaur load"? ;)

Seriously though, I'm glad you and the gun are OK!
The avatar is because I am the dinosaur.
In another decade, I should make my avatar petrified doo-doo.

As soon as it happened, I knew exactly what it was. Both hands are calloused, so if not for that, might have had plastic embedded in them. My trigger finger was numb for about five minutes.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I don't believe I've complained at all in this thread. I believe in sharing so others don't do the same dumb stuff that caused what I just experienced.

My loading aside, I always wondered why Glock used the standard 17# spring in their slide.
For example, with 180gr FP hard cast, the G20 would not handle loads above 10gr of AA#9 very well, slamming its backstops, while the Ruger SR1911 would make one ragged hole using 12.5gr, and still feel lighter recoiling than the Glock. Frankly, I prefer to have one load that will fire with acceptable accuracy in both guns. I set the G20 aside, continued to shoot the Ruger, and months later, finally ordered a spring kit from EDZ Performance. By then, all I had of AA#9 was just an ounce or two. So I decided to develop a new load for both using Longshot (still readily available).

Back to my comment about Glock chamber support compared to other brands, rather than debate with words, I will use a picture to explain what I'm talking about.
Note, none of this would have happened if I had operated within safe limits.
View attachment 1785626
Time to put my order in for a KKM barrel.....

200gr Moly hard cast over 10gr of Longshot. Oops.

View attachment 1784562 View attachment 1784563
It appears as if you have a 22lb NDZ captive recoil spring.
You have also stated you load um hot.
My question, do you ever have nose down FTF's? That recoil spring is being given a maximum workout and when you strip a new round off the mag, seems the cartridge might get pushed into a nose down position and not feed correctly, especially if you used a hollow point. :)

Happened to me many years ago with a S&W 40cal pistol. Pulled the trigger and the sides of the frame blew out. My hands too stung and vibrated for awhile. I can relate to the OP and am glad that he wasn't more hurt. I do not reload pistol rounds but creating hot loads seems to lead to such events. There are reasons that manufacturers state max pressures, but they are not just for their lawyers. Measure twice cut once.

It appears as if you have a 22lb NDZ captive recoil spring.
You have also stated you load um hot.
My question, do you ever have nose down FTF's? That recoil spring is being given a maximum workout and when you strip a new round off the mag, seems the cartridge might get pushed into a nose down position and not feed correctly, especially if you used a hollow point. :)
These were FP truncated cone hard cast, closest in shape to my 200gr HP. Had zero FTF over 31 rounds.
Also, before I started this journey, I made dang sure my crimp was adequate to never experience any setback on such a potent cartridge. The case would buckle before the bullet moved.

Loading to the max squeeks out a few more FPS but the wear and tear on the gun isn't worth it IMO. Really, what's the point? Full load (to spec) 10mm is more than enough for what the round was intended for. Need more? Try a shotgun or a rifle. :D
I'd like to add to that. I reload Rifle and it is rare that the maximum mode is the most accurate. It happens sometimes but it's rare. I should benchrest and my most accurate load is about a half a grain under the max recommended. It's not super fast, but it scores me in the high 190s to 200.

When I was a kid we loaded stuff so hot that one batch of 308 blew all the primers out. We joked about it at the time, but in retrospect, that was pretty stupid Having the strongest gun around is not at all important compared to making the first shot hit every time.

All the time I hear you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight. So if you take risks to get an extra 20 foot pounds it's not worth it.

I'd like to add to that. I reload Rifle and it is rare that the maximum mode is the most accurate. It happens sometimes but it's rare. I should benchrest and my most accurate load is about a half a grain under the max recommended. It's not super fast, but it scores me in the high 190s to 200.

When I was a kid we loaded stuff so hot that one batch of 308 blew all the primers out. We joked about it at the time, but in retrospect, that was pretty stupid Having the strongest gun around is not at all important compared to making the first shot hit every time.

All the time I hear you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight. So if you take risks to get an extra 20 foot pounds it's not worth it.
It has been my personal experience that with both long guns and handguns, slower is more accurate.
I would like the opportunity to see firsthand someone shooting a hot load that is more accurate than my slower ones. :) :) :)

Just FYI, if the gun frame sustained any damage, GLOCK will give you a new frame for $100. Just need to email their customer service department. You ship yours and get a new one back, no questions asked.

Just FYI, if the gun frame sustained any damage, GLOCK will give you a new frame for $100. Just need to email their customer service department. You ship yours and get a new one back, no questions asked.
Even with HOT loads. using non factory ammo?
I thought that voided any warranty.

I was just shooting my G32 today. The gun takes a real beating with my handloads.
A frame replacement for $100 makes me happy.

Even with HOT loads. using non factory ammo?
I thought that voided any warranty.

I was just shooting my G32 today. The gun takes a real beating with my handloads.
A frame replacement for $100 makes me happy.
I had an EFFED UP frame that was used to learn stippling and was in bad shape, like, REALLY bad shape. They just told me to send the frame, and they would replace for $100.

It has been my personal experience that with both long guns and handguns, slower is more accurate.
I would like the opportunity to see firsthand someone shooting a hot load that is more accurate than my slower ones. :) :) :)
It can happen. I have a .204 and have shot numerous ladders with different loads. There is one that is superb at one load at a little below the max. then there is another accuracy load just at max. Same accuracy. But it requires compressing the powder and I do not like to do that. Test. test. Test. Be safe. All that matters is accuracy and being able to deliver a second shot to the same place. The difference in stopping power is negligible in most cases. Better a second hit than a really powerful miss.

It can happen. I have a .204 and have shot numerous ladders with different loads. There is one that is superb at one load at a little below the max. then there is another accuracy load just at max. Same accuracy. But it requires compressing the powder and I do not like to do that. Test. test. Test. Be safe. All that matters is accuracy and being able to deliver a second shot to the same place. The difference in stopping power is negligible in most cases. Better a second hit than a really powerful miss.
Ballistics is very strange.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top