JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pulled the trigger on my EDC pistol (XDS 9mm) today and it went KA-BLAM in my hand. My face got peppered and my right hand felt like it did when I forgot to drop a firecracker when I was a kid. Other than a bruised trigger finger I walked away.

I had to push the stuck casing out from the muzzle end and then it was a bugger getting the slide off (I found severe swelling of the frame). I also found a crack from the trigger opening to the right hand side magazine release and a HUGE crack on the frame at the top of the right side on the grip.

I've attached pics of the frame and the casing that was stuck in the barrel so I can get input from you all before I contact Springfield. The warranty does not cover defective ammo (this was factory, not reload). I have no idea where the primer went but it was gone after the KA-BLAM. The ammo looked fine when I loaded the magazine and came out of my dry gun safe.

What do you think? Was this due to the ammo or?
Thanks!

IMG-1691.jpg IMG-1692.jpg IMG-1693.jpg IMG-1695.jpg IMG-1696.jpg

Holy cow! Happy to hear you are OK with all fingers intact. Back in the day this looks to be what we would call "a blowout". My inexpert opinion is that this appears to be ammo related. Again, happy you are OK!

I have no experience with this. But glad that you're ok.

So, this was a recently loaded magazine or one that has been in the EDC for awhile?

That shell looks like an over-charge. I've had that happen to me when i was experimenting with loads.

Definitely an ammo company issue.

Glad you are ok !

Yeah, unless that chamber is an unsupported style, that does look like it fired out of battery . I'd probably talk with Springfield. Just another opinion, I'm not an expert.

Looking closer at one of the pictures, it definitely looks like it fired out of battery, brass looks like a belted magnum rifle case.:( Or what Lesliet mentioned about the unsupported chamber. I guess if it fired out of battery the whole base would look belted and not just a portion where it blew out. Idk, but least you still have your trigger finger and eyesight.o_O

Last Edited:
Factory ammo, not reloaded. It appears that it fired out of battery (looking at the damage to the case) and since my face got peppered I tend to think the slide was not fully forward when it went off.

I would say that it was not out of battery.

When you pulled the trigger everything did what it was supposed to.

Remember, this is all in fractions of a second.....

1. The round fired.

2. The slide started it's rearward motion.

3. The extractor was pulling the shell rearward.

4. As soon as the rear of the shell cleared the chamber, the pressure was too high and it blew out the shell. I would guess that it blew downward as the first unsupported portion of the chamber would be the feed ramp.

5. The rest is a blur.....

How was the magazine and other rounds? When this happened to me, it blew the bottom of the magazine into pieces, into my lap, onto the ground, etc. I was picking up pieces of my magazine out to about 10-15 feet from where i was shooting.

# nwf.jpg

I've posted this on here before, but this is what happened to my HK USP few years ago. It was factory .45ACP ammo & best explanation I have is overcharged ammo blowing out of little gap where the case wasn't fully supported.

Contact both Springfield and the ammo manufacture. They will both blame the other based on a past experience but that will get ball rolling. Might want to contact a lawyer as well. Very happy to hear you came out using nothing but a bruised trigger finger!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews