JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The fact that a disturbingly high percentage of business and technical inquiries could be answered with "Well, read the g'damn thing right in front of you and you'll know."

Oh here's another one, my favorite. Newspaper headlines that say, "missing person found safe". Really? Who lost the safe? Why can't I find a safe? Why can't we have professionals writing headlines anymore? There are no more journalists.
Or the ones that say "Two People Killed After Train Hits Bus"...Really? What was it that killed them then?

Bicycle riders with the attitude that YES-they do own the road, and obeying Stop signs or any other
traffic control devices is beneath them. Had one recently blow a stop sign (I was on a through street),
darn near become a hood ornament, and then flip me off as he rode away. Grrrrr.

When a texting teenager hits an entitled bicyclist....two wrongs make a right!

People at work who don't listen to what I have to say.

No, this is not an ego thing (well, maybe a little) - I have been doing what I do (writing software) for over 25 years. I have almost a decade of s/w QA experience before that. I have 8 years of experience and knowledge on the current software I write for a very large corporation, so my opinions on how and why to do things are not off-hand, they are based on what has worked and what hasn't.

When I say that a particular component is problematic (diplomatic way of saying it is a piece of fecal matter) or the wrong way to do something, it is based on years of experience, not just in general, but specifically with that code.

And it isn't the first time I voice these opinions, I have shared these thoughts for years.

So when I spend more time putting band aids on what we have, than it would take to rewrite it, it is frustrating - especially because I know I am going to have to do it again and again.

But do "they" listen? No.

Same goes for when I say we should do this that or the other thing. Crickets - nothing.

We spend most of our time doing the expedient things, not the strategic things we should be doing. I.E., just do what we need for the short term. And this isn't software that has any real need to be done by X date as it isn't something we sell, it is a tool we use, so it isn't like it has to be done by a certain date - if it takes a week or a month longer than predicted, it really isn't going to affect anybody. The reason it has to be done by X date is because that is what my manager told his manager who told his manager - before they "asked" me if it could be done by X date.

Which segues into my next pet peeve; my manager "asking" me when X can be done. It isn't really asking; they are telling me, get X done by X date, not because that is how long it will really take, but because that is what they could sell up the chain of command. When I say it will take longer, I am ignored. I get paid a 6 figure salary, I have decades of experience with a lot of different kinds of software development, almost a decade of experience with this particular software, but does anyone listen to me? Nope.

Yes. I am frustrated. I have at least 18 more months before I will retire. I might work longer than that, depending on finances, etc., but I will be very happy to retire. I like what I do, but these aspects of my job are frustrating - especially when I run into issues that I have said for years should be fixed, and I am ignored.

Retire...wait six months...offer your services as a consultant at twice your salary.

Speed limits. There, I said it, yah, I know. But laws written by those who can't drive, let alone ever raced, is akin to anti-sex laws written by sniveling, emotionally-disturbed prudes or anti-gun laws written by people who think barrel-shrouds are a "shoulder thing that goes up" or that "ghost guns have .30-caliber clips". You know, morons.

Yes, I know speed limits save lives. There is hard data backing said, and being in the scientific community, I'm hard pressed to argue with solid data. Yadda, yadda. (Parenthetically, if one wishes to engage in a veritable orgy of moving violations, with impunity mind you, living close to the deserts of southeastern Oregon is a prime location, as there is, essentially, no human presence, let alone enforcement. Or so I have been informed.)

Joking, my friends. Well, mostly. :p

Last Edited:
Speed limits. There, I said it, yah, I know. But laws written by those who can't drive, let alone ever raced, is akin to anti-sex laws written by sniveling, emotionally-disturbed prudes or anti-gun laws written by people who think barrel-shrouds are a "shoulder thing that goes up" or that "ghost guns have .30-caliber clips". You know, morons.

Yes, I know speed limits save lives. There is hard data backing said, and being in the scientific community, I'm hard pressed to argue with solid data. Yadda, yadda. (Parenthetically, if one wishes to engage in a veritable orgy of moving violations, with impunity mind you, living close to the deserts of southeastern Oregon is a prime location, as there is, essentially, no human presence, let along enforcement. Or so I have been informed.)

Yeah, well...I'd heard on the news that potland had done a study. It was determined that pedestrians that got hit by cars had a better chance of dying when hit at 30 mph than they did at 25 mph. Now, all over potland speed limits that were 35mph have been reduces to 30. Speeds that were posted at 30 mph have been reduced to 25, And those at 25 mph have been reduced to 20. Hundreds upon hundreds of NEW speed limit signs have been posted in places where general speed limit laws were already on the books. "Neighborhood" streets have always had a basic rule. Now they also have the 20 mph signs. Main arteries that move traffic inbound and outbound have been reduced to 20 and 25, from 30 and 35 in the last three years. What really chaps my hide is that slogging along at 25 mph wouldn't be so terrible, but potland drivers don't seem to even go 25! And It would seem that the huge potland "20 IS PLENTY" program (paid for by pot taxes BTW), has soaked in to the moron portland drivers heads to the point they believe we ALL should drive slow.

So yeah, I agree with you, speed limits are a peeve.

Yes, I know speed limits save lives. There is hard data backing said, and being in the scientific community, I'm hard pressed to argue with solid data. Yadda, yadda. (Parenthetically, if one wishes to engage in a veritable orgy of moving violations, with impunity mind you, living close to the deserts of southeastern Oregon is a prime location, as there is, essentially, no human presence, let along enforcement. Or so I have been informed.)

Autobon (spelling?) anyone??

They seem to be able to do it over there.

Buddy clocked his average speed from base to house at 161mph as his personal record:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top