JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washington wolf debate enters new, lethal arena

The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife announced Tuesday that it had killed a wolf in the “Wedge” region of upper Stevens County, and indicated that by Wednesday afternoon, another of the predators would be killed.

<broken link removed>

the reintroduction of wolves is a bad idea, what will make it worse is if there is no incentive to keep away from man and his livestock,animals ect . This is generationaly learned from parent to sibling.

I thought it funny when Friedman says, "If we expect wolves to behave, ranchers need to meet them halfway.” How idiotic are these people that they think animals, even more so with wolves, will/can change their behaviors. Its hard to debate with them as they are flying high on emotion and ideologies instead of grounded in truth and reality.

Let the people who think that wolves are big cuddly dogs spend a week in the wild with them unarmed. I don't think the people that come back alive, if any, would have the same opinion of wolves. They are a big dangerous carnivore that wouldn't think twice about attacking a defensively challenged human or any other animal. Far worse than bears or big cats because they hunt in packs which means you would have to defend yourself in a 360 degree perimeter. Just my $.02 worth.

The greenies see the reintroduction of wolves as a way to move ranchers off the land. Most grazing country is worthless for much else, and if the ranchers can't make a living on the land then they will vacate it, which suits the greenies just fine.

They also think if they can make big game scarce it will curtail hunting, which is a goal near and dear to their hearts.

They don't mind either that it makes hound hunting impossible. Wolves are territorial and will hunt down and kill any other canines that enter their territory. There are a lot of stories from hound hunters of whole packs of good dogs being slaughtered before they could intervene. A friend of mine who's bred his line of hounds for 40 years has given it up. He said where he was in MT that releasing a hound in the woods was a sure death sentence and he just couldn't stand to see his dogs killed. He's since given up his dogs and moved to the east coast.

Well, now Washington can get a taste of the Wolf &*^%$# that we in Montana have been so blessed to put up with. It took a while but finally people woke up and realized that Wolves kill more than just a Deer or two and they don't stay in Yellowstone Park.... What?????, yeah I know the wolves don't realize they should to stay in Yellowstone Park. This year we can again buy Wolf tags. Why is it so hard for some people to believe that an animal that kills will not harm livestock and just kill deer??? The Wolf introduction people need to live with these killing machines then maybe they will get a small taste of the damage these animals can do and will do... Perhaps in the future Washington will also have a Wolf hunting season because these Wolves just don't stay where they were introduced they tend to move around,,,, now if we could just get them to move to California????

I say let them come. People need to realize the woods aint Disneyland. Go into the woods, get ate its sure not the wolfs fault. Same goes for the Ocean. go have a swim, get ate oh well you made the choice and paid the consequences. You can not fault a predator for being a predator. Maybe it will force people into preparing better when they go camping.

"If we expect wolves to behave, ranchers need to meet them halfway."
Yea, lets just sit down and discuss it with them at a summit meeting around the roundtable. What an idiotic, infantile and moronic statement. The qualities of both expectation of behavior and 'meeting them halfway' are the hopeful results of communication between LIKE MINDED BEINGS, such as humans! We can expect nothing from an animal - especially a WILD one! What are these people thinking?

I say let them come. People need to realize the woods aint Disneyland. Go into the woods, get ate its sure not the wolfs fault. Same goes for the Ocean. go have a swim, get ate oh well you made the choice and paid the consequences. You can not fault a predator for being a predator. Maybe it will force people into preparing better when they go camping.

Until one gets your child

You can not fault a predator for being a predator.
Yes you can - especially when the predator is non-indigenous, considerably larger and more vicious than the once indigenous variety and is possibly developing unnatural behavior patterns in an attempt to fit into an ecosystem it did not originally inhabit.

Yea, lets just sit down and discuss it with them at a summit meeting around the roundtable. What an idiotic, infantile and moronic statement. The qualities of both expectation of behavior and 'meeting them halfway' are the hopeful results of communication between LIKE MINDED BEINGS, such as humans! We can expect nothing from an animal - especially a WILD one! What are these people thinking?

First xm193 stated "re-introduced" . All reports are they are a larger wolf,as stated after xm193's statement,and you should always remember to put "introduced" or "larger wolves introduced' in you posts on forums to keep people aware of this part.

Anyway on the"meet them half way" statement,I took it as the farmers should meet them half way to their farms and kill a few,running the rest off.
But I'm not aware of who the guy is that made the statement is.
pro wolf I'm guessing.

I like wolves. I hope they spread and proliferate. I'd be especially appreciative if they'd take my ex-wife's freaking cat. And my boss's dog. And my boss. They were here before my ex-wife's cat, my boss's dog, or my boss. Bummer if you ranch on their land....

Really people, you are just figuring out that man isnt the only thing that isnt at the top of the food chain. Wolves are dangerous, yes. Would I want them following me, no. But people in many other parts of the world have to deal with equal or greater dangerous animals. Alaska deals with these and more types of animals all the time. I am sorry that ranchers have a new difficulty making a living, but wolves regardless were here before us. Doesnt matter if they arent the same type, the wolves will either live, die or adapt.

That is the problem. Would you like to pay $30.00LB for hamburger?. If the ranchers can't make a profit they will just go out of business. If enough of them do the price of beef and anything other depending on cattle will do likewise. The price of leather anything, soaps, explosives, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, JELLO(everyone's favorite) and a lot of other items that you want and need, you will be paying a lot more for or doing without. When the wolfhuggers start getting a big hit in their pocketbooks for the things they want or need, they will be howling AT the wolves rather than with them. In 20 years from now if the wolves are not confined to small areas, it will be big economic impact that in our weakened economic condition may not be able to absorb and may push us over the ledge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top