JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is the problem. Would you like to pay $30.00LB for hamburger?.

You do realize that many other states already have wolves and the issues that come with them that have much bigger ranchers than the ones in Washington. You also realize that $30 a lbs. wont happen just because of wolves. Putting statements like that is just ignorant and creating fear for no reason.

I like wolves. I hope they spread and proliferate. I'd be especially appreciative if they'd take my ex-wife's freaking cat. And my boss's dog. And my boss. They were here before my ex-wife's cat, my boss's dog, or my boss. Bummer if you ranch on their land....

As you read this, notice that your eyes face forward. Did that prick your ears? they also face forward. Run your tongue over your teeth, feel them eye teeth, guess what they are for. These are all traits of a predatory animal. We, you and I, are not to different than the bear, both are omnivores. Both are very territorial, it's been that way for hundreds of thousands of years. One predator crosses into another predators territory and its usually game on, to the bigger, stronger more agile (and in this case) more advanced, the spoils. While we may not equal the Wolf when it comes to strength and speed, we are far more cunning and advanced.
Its an interesting statement you make, "bummer if you ranch on their land", as we were very capable of taking and holding that land as already demonstrated in the past, and also as most predators can and do. So perhaps we can look at it this way,, bummer if they land on my ranch.

These "Big Dogs" are a threat to many ways of life, hunting, farming, ranching, hiking, camping and the list goes on. What the game warden don't know wont hurt him and what happens in the woods...stays there.

I say let them come. People need to realize the woods aint Disneyland. Go into the woods, get ate its sure not the wolfs fault. Same goes for the Ocean. go have a swim, get ate oh well you made the choice and paid the consequences. You can not fault a predator for being a predator. Maybe it will force people into preparing better when they go camping.

How are you with "Eat the wrong person's cattle and die of lead poisoning." Does it work both ways for you?

You do realize that many other states already have wolves and the issues that come with them that have much bigger ranchers than the ones in Washington. You also realize that $30 a lbs. wont happen just because of wolves. Putting statements like that is just ignorant and creating fear for no reason.

No reason? A small rancher cannot absorb the loss of very many $2000 steers. Most of the grazing land in eastern Oregon and Washington is useless for anything else. My extended family has been on their land since 1780, raising cattle and wheat. Now you want to say their land belongs to the wolves? Are you ready, as a tax payer, to buy their land? Thought not. If they sell out it will be to corporate interests who will develop the properties. Neither you nor the wolves will like that very much. But you just go on with your fantasies.

No reason? A small rancher cannot absorb the loss of very many $2000 steers. Most of the grazing land in eastern Oregon and Washington is useless for anything else. My extended family has been on their land since 1780, raising cattle and wheat. Now you want to say their land belongs to the wolves? Are you ready, as a tax payer, to buy their land? Thought not. If they sell out it will be to corporate interests who will develop the properties. Neither you nor the wolves will like that very much. But you just go on with your fantasies.

Many of us who live in urban zones are with you. Do what has to be done, same as our ancestors did

So on Friday my wife and I went an animal sanctuary and actually got the chance to get hands on with some very large North American Tundra wolves. These wolves were still pups (5 months) and have been hand raised by humans. That being said, they weren't full grown but still very very large. There were only three of them and we had to go through a bit of a "ceremony" before they accepted us and let us treat them like dogs. They were very powerful and we got a few bumps and bruises and a fat lip just getting to know them. It was an amazing experience that I'll remember fondly but It made me realize how F--ing scary an encounter with an actual wolf pack in the wild could be. I don't care if you're well armed or not, you'd be hard pressed to come out of it alive if they had a mind to bring you down. They're strong, smart, fast, ferocious, and work as a team. I respect wolves and think they are amazing creatures but I can definitely see why there need to be limits to their contact with humans. If putting a few wolves down is what it takes, then that is what it takes. I'm definitely an advocate for the wild and animals but I can agree that we're both here to stay and lines need to be drawn somewhere for our mutual survival.

In my humble opinion, any "dog" running in the woods needs to be dispatched... There are packs of domestic dogs that kill deer at night and go home during the day, their owners have no idea that they are out killing after dark. Now the owners should secure their "pets" at all times but "my dog would never hurt anything" is etched in their brain. I met a professional coyote hunter a few weeks ago and he was telling us that in this small central Washington town there was a pack of 10 dogs going on killing sprees at night, he got 8 of them the first night and the other 2 later, good for him. I have 2 dogs and my son, living down stairs has 3, they are fenced in and all get along great, They range from a Puggle to large pit bull that doesn't know that she is a pit bull... they all watch TV with us at night.
So if domestic dogs running in the woods are a bad thing, wild dogs can only be a terrible thing. only my opinion. Peter

So on Friday my wife and I went an animal sanctuary and actually got the chance to get hands on with some very large North American Tundra wolves. These wolves were still pups (5 months) and have been hand raised by humans. That being said, they weren't full grown but still very very large. There were only three of them and we had to go through a bit of a "ceremony" before they accepted us and let us treat them like dogs. They were very powerful and we got a few bumps and bruises and a fat lip just getting to know them. It was an amazing experience that I'll remember fondly but It made me realize how F--ing scary an encounter with an actual wolf pack in the wild could be. I don't care if you're well armed or not, you'd be hard pressed to come out of it alive if they had a mind to bring you down. They're strong, smart, fast, ferocious, and work as a team. I respect wolves and think they are amazing creatures but I can definitely see why there need to be limits to their contact with humans. If putting a few wolves down is what it takes, then that is what it takes. I'm definitely an advocate for the wild and animals but I can agree that we're both here to stay and lines need to be drawn somewhere for our mutual survival.

One day at Petsmart my gal and I met a "tame" adult male wolf. I thought our big alpha male Rotties were bad until that encounter. That boy was 200 lbs (plus with lots of fur he looked 300) and was very intimidating. Just imagine what it takes to drag down a bull buffalo as wolf packs do, and you might get an inkling. I do not hate wolves but they need to be heavily controlled or even eliminated where humans and our livestock are

I also agree any wild dog packs must be shot. I have seen some (looked like big pit bulls) out at our future homesite on the Olympic Peninsula and would never allow a lady or children to roam out there without a rifle armed guard. I was only armed with a 1911 and when I got back with my mini 14 from the rig they had vanished

I also agree any wild dog packs must be shot. I have seen some (looked like big pit bulls) out at our future homesite on the Olympic Peninsula and would never allow a lady or children to roam out there without a rifle armed guard. I was only armed with a 1911 and when I got back with my mini 14 from the rig they had vanished

I put a walking stick out in front of my wimpy dog when another dog came towards us. It stopped immediately,like it had been hit before.
Sounds like your pack maybe got shot at before? I think the 45 will stop most dogs.The Mini sounds like a better choice though

OK if you eat any beef at all,you really need to weigh your concern for wolves. Oh do you wear leather,of any kind?
Wolves can do nothing but raise the price of beef and leather goods by killing cattle
I love it when folks fall in love with these type animals,not knowing what the end results can be.

but wolves regardless were here before us.
Yes - the indigenous timber wolf was and lost out due to natural selection. It could not compete environmentally and lost the battle while other species proliferated. Replacing them with an unnatural hybrid will do nothing but put an even greater strain on whatever natural order still exists. Kind of like stocking rivers and lakes with hatchery raised fish. Should they take Alaskan brown bears and transplant them to the Colorado Rockies to replace the Grizzlies that no longer exist there? I am surprised it has not been attempted yet.

mjbskwin, I said exactly the same thing in my earlier post and a lot of people poo poo me and said something like that would not happen in reference to the price of beef and the byproducts of cattle. and I was accused of fear mongering. At least you and I think alike on this issue.

Yes - the indigenous timber wolf was and lost out due to natural selection. It could not compete environmentally and lost the battle while other species proliferated.

Natural selection???? When the west was won in the late 1800's- early 1900's, mankind went on a wolf hunting spree killing packs by the dozen. Thousands of wolves were kill per year. Sorry to me that isnt natural selection.

I was growing up in Idaho when the non-indigenous Canadian wolves were introduced in the River of No Return Wilderness and Yellowstone Park. All the wolf-lovers and "experts" said wolves in the ecosytem would contribute to healthly populations. Just like the spotted owl fiasco, time has told the tale, a fairy tale - elk populations have been decimated in Idaho and Yellowstone through both direct and indirect predation. Elk and Deer hunters better get it together if you plan on future opportunities in Oregon because the wolf is no longer at the door - it's in the tent. Here's a cite from a recent Montana State University study showing a 65% + reduction in Yellowstone's elk herd since the introduction of the wolf.

A thorough search on the internet will show documented wolf attacks on humans in North America. They were eradicated for a reason and what has been introduced is bigger, badder and a pack hunter that will change forever our public landscape.

<broken link removed>

Natural selection???? When the west was won in the late 1800's- early 1900's, mankind went on a wolf hunting spree killing packs by the dozen. Thousands of wolves were kill per year. Sorry to me that isnt natural selection.

And I suppose that you believe that man was placed here by space beings and that he isn't part of the "natural" chain?

Many species of animals have learned to adapt tools and weapons in their daily forage routines, and for defensive/offensive purposes. Man has advanced faster in the cycle than the wolf. While man has taken the wolf and domesticated, bred and changed the species to suit our needs, the same can't be said of the wolves. What RVTECH stated is true, and to the victor the spoils, that is the way natural selection works. Read post#23 for the quick abridged version, or pick up a copy of the Pulitzer prize winning book titled "Guns germs and steel" it's an excellent read.

I think this is the third time or more that I know of this subject getting kicked around. I still support the wolf - the wolf was there first. Mankind decided to destroy the species in thier native environment for personal gain. Now when a wrong has been righted by reintroduction of the wolf we hear about how bad the ranchers have it. I will admit that we being man must control the wolf due to having screwed up the natural environment to the state it cannot manage itself. I eat meat and wear leather - I also pay the asking price at the store for it - I am certain it will go up in price in the future.

I also feel that anyone who shoots a controled or protected species should be punished at the max extent of the law and personally would have no problem with turning them in if I saw something like the illegal taking of a animal.

James Ruby

I put a walking stick out in front of my wimpy dog when another dog came towards us. It stopped immediately,like it had been hit before.
Sounds like your pack maybe got shot at before? I think the 45 will stop most dogs.The Mini sounds like a better choice though

OK if you eat any beef at all,you really need to weigh your concern for wolves. Oh do you wear leather,of any kind?
Wolves can do nothing but raise the price of beef and leather goods by killing cattle
I love it when folks fall in love with these type animals,not knowing what the end results can be.

I always carry a serious walking stick on the street and when out in the woods a sturdy staff with a steel ice point.. in fact making custom units like these is what I have planned for my new biz. Yeah 45 might stop since it had a 10 rd mag in it and I had reloads but they were 45 yards away and at least 4 of them. I was hoping for a clean sweep so I went for the mini

I think this is the third time or more that I know of this subject getting kicked around. I still support the wolf - the wolf was there first. Mankind decided to destroy the species in thier native environment for personal gain. Now when a wrong has been righted by reintroduction of the wolf we hear about how bad the ranchers have it. I will admit that we being man must control the wolf due to having screwed
up the natural environment to the state it cannot manage itself. I eat meat and wear leather - I also pay the asking price at the store for it - I am certain it will go up in price in the future.

I also feel that anyone who shoots a controled or protected species should be punished at the max extent of the law and personally would have no problem with turning them in if I saw something like the illegal taking of a animal.

James Ruby

Alright! A Volunteer for a new wolf sanctuary in Portland. Let me be the first to congratulate you. Hope you have high fences.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top