JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very cool!

You need a BOB in a bad way though.

These put weight on the bike still. A modified,2 wheel child trailer wouldn't put that weight on the back tire.
I guess that's the big reason you would want a trailer,take weight off the back tire to take wear and tear off the rear wheel and tire.
The more weight the easier it is to bend the rim or pop the tire. Oh and you should have better control with the weight lower.

You seem to have tried both so does this handle better?

its basic physics though; any kind of load pulling on the axle or the rear frame puts weight and wear and tear on the back wheel/tire......maybe not as much as all the weight directly on it though; I have a design in mind that is basically half a bike frame on top of a 20-24" wheel with the same alice pack frames mounted to it so as to reduce the amount of load taken up by any single wheel... but I will be seeing how this does with the light loads I usually have...well...comparatively light; still more heavier than straight backpacking/road march kit; but lighter than what the packs combined maximum load out will be...like I have said before;it IS easier to put less items in big bags than to try to put more items in small bags; although I won't object to finding two more bags like the front bag I have; since they have pretty much compartmentalized storage areas for a variety of small items... the design I have for a trailer is essentially a hacked BOB....for the hitch; it would be directly attached to another back triangle; as a hitch, much like the BOB system is; from another donor bike frame...OR a straight bar from the seat post with support struts (or attached to the steel rack;) with a caster wheel modified to become a quick detach hitch and attached to an old seat post which would now be horizontal...kind of moving the back half of a cut frame 70ish(depending on seat tube angle) degrees to where the seat tube is now horizontal instead of vertical; if you can understand that? I find that the big bags provide more room to put oddly shaped/bulky items in; as opposed to trying to lash everything to the compression stuff sack and the rack.... right now it handles pretty well with the big bags, mostly carrying laptop and jacket and art stuff; but I am aware that when i carried pop cans in garbage bags in these bags; the handling was a bit different due to the bags' bulkiness....so I am not sure yet...there IS another thing I can do; the local thrift stores have lots of old V strutted golf bag hand carts with 14-16" bike style pneumatic tired wheels; if I can score a large enough side opening duffel bag; I could put it on the hand cart with straps and go that way....has enough ground clearance and weight would be spread out to three wheels instead of one or two...

I've no real solid bug out plan but always thought I'd start off with my car and take the bikes along as another mode of transport when needed. I like his bike idea but I'd have it in the back of a truck for the first leg of the journey if possible.

You guys know how much money you are costing me?

I thought I had the "Bicycle Package" finished till I saw your impressive setup.

Had to buy a new Burley Travoy Bicycle trailer after seeing that. (Still have to pick up some puncture seal tape for bike and now Cart)

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
Amazon.com: Burley Travoy Bike Commuter Trailer: Sports & Outdoors

OK: I built this vehicle over the course of a month or so....started with some blue mountain bicycle and a pile of military surplus bags...and this is what I ended up with.... current max load rig as it sits; two ALICE pack frames "wrong side out" and two medium ALICE packs attached; a 9 strap USGI compression stuff sack holding a tent, a sleeping bag, a sleep pad, the poles and stakes and rope for it....
a smaller bag up front carrying a M65 jacket, protein bars, single canteen cup, canteen stove, waterproof match stick container, bic lighter, fire starting kit, ramen noodles, a can of soup all in the small pouches, with the side pockets holding clips (yes clips not magazines for my SKS) ready to go; and behind the handlebars; a pair of small pouches holding leather gloves and liners on one side, a bandanna and a small hand towel on the other side; on the frame are two 2-qt canteens in USMC medic pouches; (one gallon up front); my trusty rifle in its scabbard; with a medic pouch holding my first aid kit/small survival kit; the ALICE packs holds my clothing, food, ammo, tools, and extra water should I need more.... also shown is my plastic "airsoft" BMX/cycling rated army style helmet with ACU sun goggles; (will replace with a better helmet when I find one that fits my giant head)

lighter rig with two MOLLE sustainment Pouches instead of ALICE packs; this is more for 3-4 days of traveling; going as light as possible;

shown without the 9-strap compression sack; and showing the details of the VISM shooting gear scabbard mounting to the 60s Schwinn steel rack/former baby carrier, as well as how the canteens are mounted to the frame;

shown with tent; bike inside tent, which has that much room and space; and provides additional security;

sleeping side; sleeping bag rated to 40 degrees (I have a liner for colder temps); on top of a foam pad

tent all standing up; with bike inside tent;

tent taken down; bike outside tent; sleep system inside tent; poles outside

tent and sleep system rolled up with poles in middle

all packed into the 9-strap USGI compression stuff sack;

your thoughts? I might get a 2nd scabbard for my home defense shotgun; I am able to draw the SKS from the scabbard with my left hand, and get it into position for firing with my right hand; as my left hand would be on the midsection of the stock while getting it out...this is when I am stopped mind you; not while I am riding...for defense while riding; I have a handgun on my belt kit; which also has my ammo and compass as well as water (camelbak)..
I realize that with the Medium ALICE packs; it weights a lot closer to a hundred pounds not counting rider...but I find it is easier to pack less in big bags than to pack more in small bags.... however; the ease of which I can take the ALICE packs and frames off the rack; it is helpful for me since I can get the majority of my stuff to a specific location, set up camp, and take packs and frames off; and use small bags for scouting trips around the campsite, and then pack it all in...

P4230296_zps7e526929.jpg P4230295_zpsa7cd1f07.jpg P4230294_zpsec83be68.jpg P4160260_zps457963a7.jpg P4160259_zps07e085d5.jpg P4030221_zpsd2744633.jpg P4030220_zpsc36d5fdc.jpg P4030219_zps89c7f97e.jpg P3280216_zpsaa0914bb.jpg P3250205_zpsf9242c2c.jpg P3250204_zps15653516.jpg P3250203_zps5e25ab56.jpg P3250202_zps5102c98d.jpg P3250201_zps44f38477.jpg P3250200_zpsf150e56d.jpg

Thoughts? Honestly? That thing is going to be heavy as hell when properly loaded. You won't be making any decent speed in any situation, and by the time you get wherever you're going you'll be physically spent. Even with all of that set aside, how does your *** like that hard leather seat?

I've hunted on a bicycle in the Okanogan area and it wasn't fun, and I'm in pretty good shape.

Ditch the bicycle and get a small-displacement 4-stroke (want quiet? no big-bore or 2-stroke) dirtbike or dual-sport. For example, a Honda Trail CT110 will get you started cheaply, will never break down, and get you as much as 100mpg. It has selectable gear reduction that will almost let you climb up the side of a cliff. It has a cargo rack integrated into the frame that will load up with everything you've got there, no sweat.

rdx8gxn.jpg

Brakes;-I have spare sets and spare cables

Weight; I am trying to follow the concept of packing only as much gear as I can physically carry on my back; even though the bicycle can carry more than that; right now it is on my repair stand awaiting replacement inner tubes (puncture-resistant versions this time); and I am looking at the idea of making a trailer out of a golf bag hand cart with the black compression stuff sack on it and mounting the ALICE pack frames to it instead of it being all on my bike;

Seat; I find it is actually very comfortable compared to the Specialized mountain bike race seat.... and it isn't leather; its an early 80s Troxel vinyl seat with molded plastic base and 1/4" padding underneath the vinyl above the plastic base

Water; I have a MINIMUM of one gallon of water on the bike at all times; and the small bag up front or the ALICE packs can accommodate more water if needed; in addition to my 2 quart camelbak micro pack; the routes that are mapped out; are along the river and the streams; and I have a water filter in addition to my purification tabs;

Motorized/motorcycle/mopeds;
in Oregon...if I want the endorsement to legally ride one; I have to take a $180 rider's safety course, AND get insurance before I can legally ride one...and according to my drivers' insurance company; it's a minimum of $4,000 per year policy, with POSSIBLE discount of 5% a year if I take the riders' safety course (which is required by the DMV); otherwise, were it not for cheap car which I currently can't even afford... I would be rocking a 250CC dirt bike for everything....with a trailer as well...
I am looking at the possible idea of adding a small <1KW electric motor with chain drive to the back wheel on the other side for assistance in going up steep hills; and for assisting in load carrying.... provided of course I can find a way to get the battery to be charged in case of bad events...my parents have a generator though..that might be the best way to use..there is the idea of a small 2-stroke weed eater engine but according to the DMV it becomes a moped/gas scooter/motorcycle and thus requires the same riders safety course/endorsement for highway use :(

Thoughts? Honestly? That thing is going to be heavy as hell when properly loaded. You won't be making any decent speed in any situation, and by the time you get wherever you're going you'll be physically spent. Even with all of that set aside, how does your *** like that hard leather seat?

I've hunted on a bicycle in the Okanogan area and it wasn't fun, and I'm in pretty good shape.

Ditch the bicycle and get a small-displacement 4-stroke (want quiet? no big-bore or 2-stroke) dirtbike or dual-sport. For example, a Honda Trail CT110 will get you started cheaply, will never break down, and get you as much as 100mpg. It has selectable gear reduction that will almost let you climb up the side of a cliff. It has a cargo rack integrated into the frame that will load up with everything you've got there, no sweat.

rdx8gxn.jpg

I read a story about a guy and his buddy,who lived 50 miles from Pikes Peak, seeing who could make it TO,not up,Pikes Peak cheapest.
Between fuel for the little Honda and granola bars for the bike rider the Honda was cheaper

The 2-stroke and 4-stroke bicycle kits are generally pull-start, no need for a battery.

I was referring to a purely electric motor for the bike motor kit; which doesn't require tags or rider safety courses to be taken/paid and be subject to the requirement of insurance unlike the two-stroke/four-stroke gas motors( there IS bicycle insurance; available through SPOKE Insurance; but I haven't gotten in touch with them since the bike in question is not really worth ANYTHING at all; but I might still get the insurance in case of car accidents, or stupid drivers, or stuff like that)

I am looking at the possibility of fabricating a lightweight plate set that can support my MOLLE bags and a couple of the 3-days training packs from the 90s-2000s so as to provide an in-between compromise of lightweight equipment and cargo capacity without a trailer....with the larger ALICE packs and the black compression bag being onto a trailer of some sort; so as to spread out the weight a bit more and thusly make it easier to get to a rallying point, stash the trailer, then use the bicycle for scouting around the campsite....

^^ a lot of people use the child caddy trailers to do exactly that.

Bicycles are E.M.P. proof!

so are points ignition motorized vehicles.

I don't want to derail any further from the bike stuff, so I'll leave it at that. I just know what it's like to pedal around that sort of weight in the mountains and it's not fun.

NOT going to the mountains with the bicycle lol. first leg of the plan is on bicycle then with family; use a motor vehicle for the rest; wit the bicycles loaded up for scouting/short range trips

So then all you need on the bike is an overnight bag.Maybe a tent or one of those sleeping bag covers? and the rest of the gear would already be at the destination.
This would make the ride faster and more efficient.

Bicycling is great and all but even seasoned bikers don't carry a ton of stuff. You may need to stop to get more supplies along the way.
Go minimalist if you are intending to rendezvous with others and yor big cashe.

These put weight on the bike still. A modified,2 wheel child trailer wouldn't put that weight on the back tire.
I guess that's the big reason you would want a trailer,take weight off the back tire to take wear and tear off the rear wheel and tire.
The more weight the easier it is to bend the rim or pop the tire. Oh and you should have better control with the weight lower.

You seem to have tried both so does this handle better?

It looks like he's got more or less everything he'd need. If he wanted more capacity then yes maybe a 2 wheel trailer. My thoughts with the BOB is getting some of that stuff off the bike (plus maybe extra water/food).

That looks like a lot of weight on a bike not purpose built for touring. Getting some of that weight off the bike will make it a lot less top heavy. Look at an actual touring bike, you'll notice th e panniers hang as low as possible.

Also yes, I've heard the BOB is more nimble. I've used a regular 2 wheel one and it wasn't exactly a joy to pull.

Redid my set up last night;
Kept the ALICE frames, put the MOLLE Sustainment Pouches on the top bar (middle bar is where the lower straps mount for the MOLLE pouches), then attached 3-Day Training packs (also known as butt packs) on the bottom parts with the top straps attaching the frames to the rack by the middle bar; and threaded the bottom straps through the pack holes on the bottom; then added a small duffel bag in between the frames to carry whatever I need; it is currently the grocery carrier; I can remove the duffel bag and put my black compression stuff sack and use the 4 small camo bags to carry my food and clothing for on the way; and I can attach two SAW 200 rd pouches or 2qt canteen covers on the 3-day training packs if I need more items to be carried;

Really, the primary "overnight" set up is shown in the picture with the tents; a couple MOLLE sustainment pouches and the compression stuff sack holding my tent with equipment, sleeping bag, and sleep pad.

The ALICE pack set up is more for wintertime with the ability to carry extra warm clothes and cold weather sleeping bag; or for carrying bulky items (like garbage bags full of bottles and cans)

EDIT: this whole set up was done on the super cheap..... I figure I have not more than $60 in the entire set up not counting my tent/clothes.....
EDIT#2; pics! no rifle; due to being at Public Library...

P5010314_zps1e055a91.jpg P5010313_zps75170bd2.jpg P5010312_zps980cafbb.jpg

looks like a fun set up. one question though, why use camo if youre going to leave so many shiny pieces of metal exposed?

lol; painted the wheels; except for brake tracks; will paint the rack and the handlebars; the pedals will get replaced or painted; other than that....most people don't really pay attention to the bike itself as it's a run of the mill Huffy and it ain't expensive to begin with... in fact; I think the most expensive things on the whole thing were the bags...and even those were purchased used and on the cheap...to be honest? people pay more attention to the fat guy riding it than to the fact there are shiney bits of metal on there..

Have you considered a Modified Jogging Stroller for a Trailer?

I have seen some that are pretty sturdy and with one wheel or two it might work well as a basic frame.

lol; painted the wheels; except for brake tracks; will paint the rack and the handlebars; the pedals will get replaced or painted; other than that....most people don't really pay attention to the bike itself as it's a run of the mill Huffy and it ain't expensive to begin with... in fact; I think the most expensive things on the whole thing were the bags...and even those were purchased used and on the cheap...to be honest? people pay more attention to the fat guy riding it than to the fact there are shiney bits of metal on there..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top