JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK: I built this vehicle over the course of a month or so....started with some blue mountain bicycle and a pile of military surplus bags...and this is what I ended up with.... current max load rig as it sits; two ALICE pack frames "wrong side out" and two medium ALICE packs attached; a 9 strap USGI compression stuff sack holding a tent, a sleeping bag, a sleep pad, the poles and stakes and rope for it....
a smaller bag up front carrying a M65 jacket, protein bars, single canteen cup, canteen stove, waterproof match stick container, bic lighter, fire starting kit, ramen noodles, a can of soup all in the small pouches, with the side pockets holding clips (yes clips not magazines for my SKS) ready to go; and behind the handlebars; a pair of small pouches holding leather gloves and liners on one side, a bandanna and a small hand towel on the other side; on the frame are two 2-qt canteens in USMC medic pouches; (one gallon up front); my trusty rifle in its scabbard; with a medic pouch holding my first aid kit/small survival kit; the ALICE packs holds my clothing, food, ammo, tools, and extra water should I need more.... also shown is my plastic "airsoft" BMX/cycling rated army style helmet with ACU sun goggles; (will replace with a better helmet when I find one that fits my giant head)

lighter rig with two MOLLE sustainment Pouches instead of ALICE packs; this is more for 3-4 days of traveling; going as light as possible;

shown without the 9-strap compression sack; and showing the details of the VISM shooting gear scabbard mounting to the 60s Schwinn steel rack/former baby carrier, as well as how the canteens are mounted to the frame;

shown with tent; bike inside tent, which has that much room and space; and provides additional security;

sleeping side; sleeping bag rated to 40 degrees (I have a liner for colder temps); on top of a foam pad

tent all standing up; with bike inside tent;

tent taken down; bike outside tent; sleep system inside tent; poles outside

tent and sleep system rolled up with poles in middle

all packed into the 9-strap USGI compression stuff sack;

your thoughts? I might get a 2nd scabbard for my home defense shotgun; I am able to draw the SKS from the scabbard with my left hand, and get it into position for firing with my right hand; as my left hand would be on the midsection of the stock while getting it out...this is when I am stopped mind you; not while I am riding...for defense while riding; I have a handgun on my belt kit; which also has my ammo and compass as well as water (camelbak)..
I realize that with the Medium ALICE packs; it weights a lot closer to a hundred pounds not counting rider...but I find it is easier to pack less in big bags than to pack more in small bags.... however; the ease of which I can take the ALICE packs and frames off the rack; it is helpful for me since I can get the majority of my stuff to a specific location, set up camp, and take packs and frames off; and use small bags for scouting trips around the campsite, and then pack it all in...

P4230296_zps7e526929.jpg P4230295_zpsa7cd1f07.jpg P4230294_zpsec83be68.jpg P4160260_zps457963a7.jpg P4160259_zps07e085d5.jpg P4030221_zpsd2744633.jpg P4030220_zpsc36d5fdc.jpg P4030219_zps89c7f97e.jpg P3280216_zpsaa0914bb.jpg P3250205_zpsf9242c2c.jpg P3250204_zps15653516.jpg P3250203_zps5e25ab56.jpg P3250202_zps5102c98d.jpg P3250201_zps44f38477.jpg P3250200_zpsf150e56d.jpg

Last Edited:
wheres the front mounted firearm?

lol; none visible at the moment :) if you're thinking of those ATV handlebar gun racks?

and I figured, at 40+ inches for my SKS's OAL; the handlebar rack is not convenient for me...if I had an AR type or something similar; I would rig it up that way...but as is, I find the vertical behind the seat mount to be reasonable for me...and it doesn't screw with the balance/handling of the bicycle as a front mount does...

Well done sir.
As for the shotgun scabbard on the back, you beat me to the punch. I was going to do that in the coming months (When its warmer) and ride my bike around town and see if I get harassed by leos whilst transporting a shotgun/rifle. ;)

I've been thinking about doing something like this.. now I think I just might have to take the plunge.

lol; none visible at the moment :) if you're thinking of those ATV handlebar gun racks?

and I figured, at 40+ inches for my SKS's OAL; the handlebar rack is not convenient for me...if I had an AR type or something similar; I would rig it up that way...but as is, I find the vertical behind the seat mount to be reasonable for me...and it doesn't screw with the balance/handling of the bicycle as a front mount does...

You could always rock a drop leg holster with the BlackHawk! Quick Disconnect and transfer your side arm from pack to hip to leg if need be.
I've become fond of the quick disconnect mount. Got one on the dash, drop leg rig and on my pack.

ZA_Survivalist said:
Well done sir.
As for the shotgun scabbard on the back, you beat me to the punch. I was going to do that in the coming months (When its warmer) and ride my bike around town and see if I get harassed by leos whilst transporting a shotgun/rifle.

I've been thinking about doing something like this.. now I think I just might have to take the plunge.

I haven't gotten harassed by LEOs around here; but then again, this is Albany....we have a large number of gun owners/gun enthusiasts and quite a number of gun/tactical shops compared to Corvallis.... got many positive comments from local people here; the biggest issue is the rack's strength/layout...most bicycle racks are not rated for much weight at all...that's why I got this steel Schwinn rack, which used to be a baby carrier from the 60s....it was missing the parts to make it a baby carrier but because it is not going to be used as such; it's fine for what I use...you could get the sheet steel vintage racks that the current Wal Mart vintage looking bikes are using off of Ebay; or similar heavy duty racks....there is also the possibility of getting a child seat carrier rack with the steel beams and removing the seat itself to make for a cargo rack.. :)

You could always rock a drop leg holster with the BlackHawk! Quick Disconnect and transfer your side arm from pack to hip to leg if need be.
I've become fond of the quick disconnect mount. Got one on the dash, drop leg rig and on my pack.

I use a Bianchi holster; which also has a thigh rig extender; (UM84 series)...I usually have it on my belt kit though; so it's within reach at my side instead of on my thigh...I find that the belt holster is better than the leg rig, due to not having the leg rig bounce up n down while cycling.....its usually at my 3:00 position and I;m not sure what "condition", but it's on Safe, with a round chambered...the 9mm Ruger P85 MKIIR is my primary sidearm;

Is your plan to ride to a specific planned location when things get bad? Is this combined with a vehicle to get you further from town first?

well my planned location is within 25 miles of town. it is also in another town; however it is where the rest of my family are; as well as having a bigger stash of things; from there; we have plans that I won't divulge :)

What brand/type of shotgun scabbard is that? How is it attached??

Product - Shooters gear - Scabbards

its the Vism tactical shotgun scabbard; and it comes with 4 MOLLE straps that can mount anywhere on either side; I used 3; two at the rack front section; and one at the seat stay; and then I used another USGI pack retaining strap at the bottom to the rack's leg to prevent it from moving diagonally; essentially I mounted the scabbard the same way I mounted the MOLLE pouches; via the MOLLE straps onto the metal framework. this only really works on rack frames that doesn't have a solid deck though.

The Swiss Army would be proud. They were big on bicycles. So how much total does that weigh fully kitted out? Looks to be quite serviceable and EMP proof.
Bravo Zulu.:s0155:

Brutus Out.

at my estimate; around 95 pounds...without the stuff its 45 pounds; the bike is a heavy steel framed bike; but it is yes very serviceable and EMP proof;
it was the Swiss who inspired me to do this build :) as well as the website bikepacking.net, which shows a lot of rather heavy rigs and, and then there's Sparky's website on bicycle infantry....some good ideas in there, amid all the ranting and crazy talk of the m113 lol.

Nice work!!......Have you actually ridden it a long distance yet?....I would love to do something similar but I am really leaning towards a trailer.....let us know how it rides fully loaded.......

They make racks for paniers for the front wheel. This would keep your weight up front a little lower
You get that thing heavy enough and you'll pay he!! getting up hills

I want to see a video of that thing being ridden up a hill. You'd be better off converting a kid trailer than mounting stuff all over the frame and bars.

They make racks for paniers for the front wheel. This would keep your weight up front a little lower
You get that thing heavy enough and you'll pay he!! getting up hills

I've seen those pannier racks for front wheels; the only issue is that the fork on my bike doesn't provide a secure enough mounting spot for the racks; since it isn't a cantilever brake fork; nor does it have fender eyelets;

as for the hills; I've ridden it 10 miles at a time with slight hills and it was pretty decent.....haven't taken it for a ride fully loaded yet; but I am planning to add a 3rd chainring up front and changing the rear derailleur to a long cage version to take up the slack; if I feel I need the extra low "granny gear" ratios...right now its got a 56 tooth big ring and a 48 tooth 2nd ring; and the 6 speed rear is 11 tooth at the smallest; I haven't gotten the full specs of the rear cogs yet; but the largest cog is a 34 tooth granny gear though...

even with trailer; it still is going to be a pain to go up a steep hill; it's why I went for the pack frames/bags for now. still so much easier to pack LESS in big bags than to pack MORE into small bags.... and it gives me room for say; a couple garbage bags full of soda cans for recycling :)

CamoDeafie said:
even with trailer; it still is going to be a pain to go up a steep hill; it's why I went for the pack frames/bags for now. still so much easier to pack LESS in big bags than to pack MORE into small bags.... and it gives me room for say; a couple garbage bags full of soda cans for recycling :)

The trailers attach low on your rear axle. This allows you to lean and steer the bike as normal. Hundreds of hunters do this for carrying out deer/elk. I have never seen or heard of anyone using racks around the bike to carry more than a light load.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top