JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was on my way back from meeting up with a fellow NWFA member to do some trading, and stopped by(what I assumed was) a reputable gunshop that sells AR parts to pick up a buffer and spring for my new 300BO pistol build. Can't remember what the place was called but it's just off hwy 217..

Anyway... I got home after sitting in traffic for (no BS) 2hrs between hillsboro, and Vancouver slid my new $25 buffer and spring in the tube, and assumed I was good to go. I took it out for a quick function test yesterday and put about 20 or so rounds through it without issue. In fact I was thrilled with how smooth it ran with both sub, and super sonic loads.... but I'm guessing it granaded on the last shot, because when I went to pull the charge handle this evening it wouldn't fully cycle... I opened it up and pulled out the buffer to find this mess all tangled up in the spring... IMG_2215.JPG
There was a bunch of chunks of white plastic too, but I already tossed them. You can see how much by in this pic with it threaded back together.
IMG_2217.JPG
I didn't even notice that the bumper wasn't pinned... just threaded! and made out of cheap brittle plastic at that. This thing isn't fit for an Airsoft let alone a $1000 AR build!

With the market flooded as it is there are more and more crappy parts out there because people are trying to compete with the low prices. I guess the best way to lower your prices is to stock cheap imported garbage parts. I'd say only buy your parts from a reputable source, but in this case I thought I was. Worst part is...it will take more than $15(actually I think it was $25 with the spring) in gas to return the stupid thing since I live over an hour away.
It is a buyers market right now, but with that said... Buyer Beware!!!

Last Edited:
It's no fluke. A quality buffer should have the bumper pinned on, and it should be made of a much more durable material. This thing is a joke! I can't believe I didn't notice.

Does the 300blk "hit" harder than a 223/556?
The the BO actually hits less than a 5.56, but with the pistol length gas system, they can get over gassed, and the buffer will hit the back of the tube. Not a huge problem with a milspec buffer. A heavy(H2-H3) buffer can help, but when shooting both Subsonic, and supersonic loads, you don't want it to be so heavy that the bolt won't lock back with the subs, so you start with a regular weight carbine buffer, and if works... great. I robbed the buffer from my carbine(a well proven UTG brand standard 3.2oz) and shot a few more rounds of supers through it and it functions, and feels just fine... and no signs of damage to the bumper.

@bolus hit the nail on the head there. I've seen several local shops that have custom store brand AR15 parts all nicely bagged up and priced cheap to sell.
I purchased a really nice looking charging handle ($22) just the other day.
I bubblegum you not, I pulled the charging handle three times and noticed it was not returning to the locked position. The entire head was bent upward about 5 degrees and canted left about .125. I removed it and you could easily bend the handle back and fourth. Almost breaking he head clean off.
The part was super hard anodized but the anodize was really all that was holdin it together. The actual metal was super cheap zinc alloy. Not even aluminum.

I returned it.

That's another issue... I may have noticed if it was on the shelf to handle before purchase, but in this case I asked for the part and dude went into the back, and came out with my parts already bagged up, so I handed him the $ and walked out the door with out even seeing it up close. Its hard to do a thorough inspection when the parts are sealed in plastic, as many are. Just went to thier website to send a strongly worded email:s0075:(is it just me or is that "smiley" saying "baby boy" over and over). sorry...

anyway I found out they have a warehouse in Salmon Creek, which is only a 20min drive instead of well over an hour to Beaverton where thier main store is. Hopefully they will let me return it there, and I'll go get one I know is quality milspec from Erik at Limitless in Washougal.

I try and do my research on the parts I buy and trade just for this reason. You always get what you pay for...:eek::eek::eek:o_O
I paid $25 which is actually high retail for a buffer and spring... at that price you'd think you were getting a quality part. Remember this is a locally owned brick and mortar small business that should know better. Quality and customer service are the only things keeping these types of stores around.
Crappy thing is these are the types of businesses I gladly pay a little extra to if I can, to do my part in keeping the big box, and online giants from taking over completely. But I expect the aforementioned service and quality. They have probably sold dozens of these, and there is no way a buffer of this design is going to hold up in any AR during normal use.

I was on my way back from meeting up with a fellow NWFA member to do some trading, and stopped by(what I assumed was) a reputable gunshop that sells AR parts to pick up a buffer and spring for my new 300BO pistol build. Can't remember what the place was called but it's just off hwy 217..

Anyway... I got home after sitting in traffic for (no BS) 2hrs between hillsboro, and Vancouver slid my new $25 buffer and spring in the tube, and assumed I was good to go. I took it out for a quick function test yesterday and put about 20 or so rounds through it without issue. In fact I was thrilled with how smooth it ran with both sub, and super sonic loads.... but I'm guessing it granaded on the last shot, because when I went to pull the charge handle this evening it wouldn't fully cycle... I opened it up and pulled out the buffer to find this mess all tangled up in the spring...View attachment 374409
There was a bunch of chunks of white plastic too, but I already tossed them. You can see how much by in this pic with it threaded back together.
View attachment 374410
I didn't even notice that the bumper wasn't pinned... just threaded! and made out of cheap brittle plastic at that. This thing isn't fit for an Airsoft let alone a $1000 AR build!

With the market flooded as it is there are more and more crappy parts out there because people are trying to compete with the low prices. I guess the best way to lower your prices is to stock cheap imported garbage parts. I'd say only buy your parts from a reputable source, but in this case I thought I was. Worst part is...it will take more than $15 in gas to return the stupid thing since I live over an hour away.
It is a buyers market right now, but with that said... Buyer Beware!!!

Possibly J&B firearms off 217 on hwy 10. I purchased a few AR parts from them and wish I hadn't. As well as other things included was a gas block with roll pin holes that didn't align and a wonky gas tube port. I know I'm not the first person to have this issue with them either.

And this is why I don't have much care for small stores shutting down.

I know, big online stores are "bad" and doesn't give you the ability to check it out in person. But if the small business had crappy customer services, overcharges everything (even if they know its a POS), then they really deserve what comes to them.

Not to say I hope they shut down, just that some deserve what comes to them.

Possibly J&B firearms off 217 on hwy 10. I purchased a few AR parts from them and wish I hadn't. As well as other things included was a gas block with roll pin holes that didn't align and a wonky gas tube port. I know I'm not the first person to have this issue with them either.
That's the place... I wasn't going to name them, but I guess it's pretty obvious.. I was hoping for thier sake this wasn't the norm for them, and was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I forgot to grab a gas tube while I was there too... glad I didn't now.
I ended up getting it at my local(Gators) which has nothing but quality and great service. Best little gun shop in the NW in my opinion.

Would have got the buffer there too, but I knew they would be closed for the weekend when I got home, and I wanted to finish the build. Normally I go to limitless in washougal, but I thought I'd save a little time since it was on my way home, instead of driving several miles out of the way. Sometimes it's worth the extra time and gas to get quality and superior service. From now on it's only Gators, Limitless or private party trades for me.

Well this place has demonstrated that they don't know their A$$es from holes in the ground.
If it is J&B, I don't think that they knowingly sold crap....it's just that they didn't know.
Not a good place to be in if you want to build a good reputation.

I've heard of these non-pinned buffers and how they come apart.

Whether it's an online shop or a local shop....you can't sell crap or you will be found out and it's hard to make a comeback in the gun business after a mistake like that.
Just ask Spikes Tactical.

Well this place has demonstrated that they don't know their A$$es from holes in the ground.
If it is J&B, I don't think that they knowingly sold crap....it's just that they didn't know.
Not a good place to be in if you want to build a good reputation.

I've heard of these non-pinned buffers and how they come apart.

Whether it's an online shop or a local shop....you can't sell crap or you will be found out and it's hard to make a comeback in the gun business after a mistake like that.
Just ask Spikes Tactical.

I saw a guy try to return a gas block to them at the Expo Center gun show last year. The guy behind the table said something like "we don't guarantee parts". Maybe he was caught off guard maybe he was embarrassed but that's what I saw. I believe the parts they sell are made in China and I have since removed and thrown away the buffer tube I also purchased from them, as I no longer trust it. Prices were not very competitive when I was last in the store either. Curt's is the only local place I'd recommend for AR parts.

Note: look for made in America. Why AK's and others may have sources over sees/ AR's are made here and parts made here are plenty.
That said, I am surprised a shop would put there rep at risk for plastic junk . Good you posted though will make others more cautious.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top