JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This entire thread should be recognized as a harbinger of things to come. Our overlords can, and will, be coming for what we legally and lawfully possess - the Constitution be damned.
I don't think you can legally possess someone else's stolen property. I hope you can't possess my stolen property.

I don't think you can legally possess someone else's stolen property. I hope you can't possess my stolen property.
True, but you have to have objective elements that would have led a reasonable person to know , or should have known, it is stolen.. Buying a gun at a licensed dealer, pass backgound, etc is an air tight defense to possession of stolen property.

Update: To make a long story even longer heres todays installment. I met with a Detective at the station. I handed over a pump shot gun that I had purchased in 2020 at a different pawn shop than was referenced when they contacted me last week . Turns out the confusion came from both guns being the same manufacturer and both guns being shot guns. The BATF gal got it straightened out and I was able to keep my more expensive shotgun ... it wasnt the one that came up stolen. Big relief . The pump gun was less expensive but still a painful loss especially after owning it for 2 yrs. The good news is I called the shop it came from and the owner said , get me the case number and a receipt when you turn it in and he will square up with me for the loss. He had not been notified by anyone that this gun had been stolen or he would have called me . I have bought from his shop several times over the years he had always made me a good deal on anything I purchased. So what did I learn in all this drama and trama? First if you get a call, ask for a case number and a serial number . Call the BATF and have them run the serial number ask them to call the local PD that contacted you.The investigater will get the straight scoop . Remember that a gun that doesnt come up stolen may be stolen and just not reported . When it gets reported whoever has the gun will most likely have to turn it in. Buy from a shop that has a good reputation and you might get your money back. Any used gun is subject to be called in at anytime from what I understand if its reported stolen. Thats kind of scary when you think about it.
My question is, if they didn't contact the shop owner, how did they know that you had bought the shotgun? To me it seems there are still some sketchy turns in the trail of the subject gun. Also, how did they get your phone number?

I purchased once a bike from a pawn shop and after some time I tried to sell it and the owner of the bike came with the cops. I got a lawyer and he got me about 50 times the value of the bike from the pawn shop's insurance due to their negligence.

Last Edited:
True, but you have to have objective elements that would have led a reasonable person to know , or should have known, it is stolen.. Buying a gun at a licensed dealer, pass backgound, etc is an air tight defense to possession of stolen property.
Right. And that process isn't instantaneous, which is why pawn shops are supposed to give their stock 30 days to let people discover the theft, find their SNs, report them to police and for police to get that information to other jurisdictions.

I simply don't understand your objection. If you want some gun immediately, buy it elsewhere. This has zero to do with personal liberty. Guns don't have rights - they are inanimate objects. Gun owners have rights - which includes having a reasonable timeframe to get their stolen property returned before it is sold off for a profit by the thief and pawn shop.

A question after reading a few posts. Though I have good security for my firearms if they were stolen just how would the police know who they belong to if they were recovered? Do members keep a record of the serial numbers for their firearms?
It may be obvious to some however I have moved to the US and I had my firearms shipped over so I am not sure how it works (tracking wise). I guess someone in the process would have taken note of the serial numbers but I have no idea where that info would be kept, if it is.

A question after reading a few posts. Though I have good security for my firearms if they were stolen just how would the police know who they belong to if they were recovered? Do members keep a record of the serial numbers for their firearms?
It may be obvious to some however I have moved to the US and I had my firearms shipped over so I am not sure how it works (tracking wise). I guess someone in the process would have taken note of the serial numbers but I have no idea where that info would be kept, if it is.
You keep track of your serial numbers, and you report them to the police if they go missing so if they find them they know where to return them.

Otherwise, serial numbers get recorded in the ledgers of firearm dealers, but that takes a lot of footwork to trace back to an owner.

Not just serial numbers, but photos of the guns and serial numbers, and accessories. I have a scope that cost me as much as several guns - used. New replacement value would be $400 more than what I paid for it. when it comes to insurance, you want to record stuff like that, not just the make/model and serial number. If your insurance covers full replacement value, you are going to need to prove its current configuration at time of the theft. Photos will help.

I really appreciate the answers. The posts here got me thinking as every firearm where I come from is serial number tracked to an owner who has to have a license to possess the firearm.

RE : Felons in possession
And, the so called minor and non-violent Felony convictions which make one a "Prohibited Person".

Consider for a moment this senario........

So then.......
Should convicted felons, have the same RIGHT (as the law abiding), to protect their homes, families, property (LOL, even their stash of drugs) from others who are intent on doing him/her harm?

Mind you that.......IMHO the charges against the "homeowner" (tampering with evidence and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon) is somewhat understandable though will have to go to another jury. Hummmm.....imagine the homeowner's statement to the police since the two cases came out of the same incident. Oooops.......
Lawyer-Up.jpg

LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BUT, But, but....the Bruen decision could probably/maybe throw the entire "prohibited person class"......into another tail spin.

And, the so called minor and non-violent Felony convictions which make one a "Prohibited Person".

So then.......
Should convicted felons, have the same RIGHT (as the law abiding), to protect their homes, families, property (LOL, even their stash of drugs) from others who are intent on doing him/her harm?

Mind you that.......IMHO the charges against the "homeowner" (tampering with evidence and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon) is somewhat understandable though will have to go to another jury. Hummmm.....imagine the homeowner's statement to the police since the two cases came out of the same incident. Oooops.......
View attachment 1244577

LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BUT, But, but....the Bruen decision could probably/maybe throw the entire "prohibited person class"......into another tail spin.
In my opinion, if they did their time, their "debt to society is paid." The problem is the jackazz prosecutors and judges plea bargain violent criminals down so they don't actually have to face the hard time they should, if they should be alive at all.

It's a stupid system and having multiple classes of people with different rights is asinine and un-American.

We already know this system doesn't work because most crimes with a firearm are committed by people already "prohibited," so the law is stopping nothing.

So then.......

View attachment 1244577

LOL.

Aloha, Mark

They do have the RIGHT to protect themselves, just not with guns.

(Ignoring whether it is Constitutional to take someone's right to anything, like voting, for being a felon.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top