JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why don't felons have a right to defend themselves with guns?
For the same reason I dont have right to menstruate. I don't have a uterus; felons don't have guns.

Did you mean to ask why felons don't have a right to possess guns?

However, just because a felon uses a gun in defense illegally doesn't mean they can be charged with murder. Just the weapon charge, if appropriate.

Last Edited:
A couple years ago, a *family member* of mine got super lucky. He had been dealing with some guy he met from fb marketplace buying all sorts of new items for super cheap prices - dyson vaccum, dyson fan, new dewalt tool sets, etc. One day the guy offered him a Remington TAC 14 for $100, an under the table deal. A week later, a local sherriff calls him and tells him he arrested the guy whos been selling him stuff and asked for the TAC 14 to be returned immediately. No questions asked, he complied and was not charged for an illegal firearms purchase. Turns out the TAC 14 was stolen just like everything else he bought.

All stolen firearms are on the NCIC national computer system. Frequently, victims of firearm thefts are unaware that the firearm is missing until they go to get it (duck season, etc.) As a result, the report is made AFTER the firearm is reported stolen. A great many guns are stolen by family members to purchase drugs and there is a reluctance to report the theft and name a suspect. Insurance companies generally won't process a claim until after a police report is filed. The buyer of this shotgun has lots of recourse against the pawn shop because they have a FFL. I wouldn't go into the shop yelling and threatening action, but rather produce a sales receipt along with the paperwork from the cops. Caveat Emptor.

Had friend over a period of years (10) pawn his mini 30 to Salem pawn shop. So pawned again around 12 years later goes to pick it up at said pawn shop and sure enough stolen like 20 years ago from Oklahoma. They tried to prosecute him but his attorney warned of lawsuits of state allowing transfers of stolen weapon for a decade might be bad. Point is falling thru the cracks does happen.

For the same reason I dont have right to menstruate. I don't have a uterus; felons don't have guns.

Did you mean to ask why felons don't have a right to possess guns?

However, just because a felon uses a gun in defense illegally doesn't mean they can be charged with murder. Just the weapon charge, if appropriate.
You physically (assuming you are a man) are incapable of menstruating.

A felon is not physically incapable of defending themselves with guns.

Your analogy was very flawed.

You physically (assuming you are a man) are incapable of menstruating.

A felon is not physically incapable of defending themselves with guns.

Your analogy was very flawed.
Yet speaks exactly to the problem - a felon can't legally defend themselves with a firearm they can't legally handle. The symmetry comes from replacing both the nouns and adverbs "legally" = "physically".

If you don't follow that, how about "You can't legally defend yourself with nerve gas because you can't legally possess nerve gas."
Clear enough?

Yet speaks exactly to the problem - a felon can't legally defend themselves with a firearm they can't legally handle. The symmetry comes from replacing both the nouns and adverbs "legally" = "physically".

If you don't follow that, how about "You can't legally defend yourself with nerve gas because you can't legally possess nerve gas."
Clear enough?
It's odd that people allowed to exist in society where they can be a significant danger to others regardless of their legal possession of firearms, are either:
A) not still in prison
B) not dead
C) living with all their rights as would be presumed the case if someone served their "debt to society."

It's odd that people allowed to exist in society where they can be a significant danger to others regardless of their legal possession of firearms, are either:
A) not still in prison
B) not dead
C) living with all their rights as would be presumed the case if someone served their "debt to society."
Then you must find recidivism rates vexing.

Then you must find recidivism rates vexing.
No, I find recidivism rates are a great example of why options:
A or B should be utilized significantly more.

If someone isn't in prison, they should be free. This partial rights bologna is dumb and inneffective.

It's common to see prohibited persons in the news for violent crime, and in possession of guns. Clearly it doesn't work.

I'm interested in solutions that are actually effective.

Clear enough?
Can you cite any authority to back up your claim that a felon can't legally defend themselves with a firearm they can't legally handle?

Can you cite any authority to back up your claim that a felon can't legally defend themselves with a firearm they can't legally handle?
Should be pretty simple to find. Search for the laws regarding a felon in possession. See if you can find where the Feds put a loophole in saying it was OK for said felon to pick up a gun and defend themselves.Let us all know when you find it.

Should be pretty simple to find. Search for the laws regarding a felon in possession. See if you can find where the Feds put a loophole in saying it was OK for said felon to pick up a gun and defend themselves.Let us all know when you find it.
Yes, it was:

I am not the one who made the claim, so how about you do your own research? Clearly it would be unlawful for a felon to possess a firearm. But show me where in the law such felon would loose the right to self defense, which is what was claimed.

Yes, it was:

Now that was interesting. "Sounds" like they are saying if some scum comes at a felon with a gun, and felon can get the gun from them and shoot them, then promptly drop the gun? Guess they "may" be able to get away with it. I guess if someone is not allowed to have a gun it would be good to keep one at hand they could not be proven to be theirs. Then if they have to use it just maintain the dobad brought the gun to the fight not them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top