JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seem to remember most of this was due to be finally implemented in ~2015.

and their lack of good voice procedure.

Jan 1, 2013 after years of delays. Time flies my friend!

Mic discipline was always a gripe of mine. Never could get people to pause 1-2 secs after keying the mic... I swear some start speaking before they even pushed the button. LOL

PS I've got an old HS buddy that runs about 50 open windows on his 'puter. Always got something going on.

Comms and ham radio is a "black hole" of learning; just when you think you are peering over the edge into the abys, you may realize you've only reached the outer rim and cannot see the "hole". Scratching the surface so to speak....

Please remember that listening to the radio is much safer than talking on it.

Like working on computers, an older guy just gets tired of trying to keep up with changes. I do very little for friends and family anymore.

I

Also if possible, can you guys recommend a specific device? It would help cut down on research time on something I know very little about. Maybe an Amazon link to specific devices you guys trust & like?

Unless you want to put a little time into some basic research learning about radio communications then you will not have much success with any off the shelf items regardless of their simplicity. They all take some basic knowledge about use and capabilities, so you don't run down batteries trying to do something it won't do. Some basic understanding of radio waves, how they behave and what you can do to maximize your performance on simplex operations (without repeaters) will give you a lot more capabilities.

Getting a ham radio license Technition Level is fairly easy and will give a you basic understanding of radio principles. QRZ.com has practice tests and about all the information you will need.

The only problem with ham is that in a shtf scenario the repeaters will be clogged by emergency services and every other yahoo trying to step over each other. So set your expectations properly.

Although HAM radios would be great in a "routine" power/cell-grid failure. Wouldn't they also fall prey to (for instance) a simple above ground EMP from N Korea?

After that, we're back to smoke signals.
That's where watching F-Troop as a kid will come on handy!
The EMP is the great equalizer with all things electronic.

If we have to get something broadcast quickly, we let Gloria Finehold down the street know and within 6 hours everyone knows, if it's a secret 2 hours...
....24/7, fair or fowl, call the EGBS*

*(Emergency Gloria Broadcast System).

The only problem with ham is that in a shtf scenario the repeaters will be clogged by emergency services and every other yahoo trying to step over each other. So set your expectations properly.

SHTF you really don't want a lot of people listening to you anyway. My son and I can talk 4 miles apart on Baofengs with lousy antennas, and a bit farther if we put them on J poles.

I have an in my pickup with a 36 inch antenna and on 50 watts simplex can get a solid 20 miles in the valley, and if I go to a small hill I can get 30, and for fun I like to go to logging landings and try both repeater and simplex work. I have got 70 miles simplex at 3,500 feet. I have even ran a J pole up the 100 foot spar pole one time and did 110 miles.

Move off the repeater frequencies far enough and you can have good reliable communications. 6 and 10 meters you can get 1,000 miles under certain conditions.

It is! I fell in 40 years ago. A hookah smoking caterpillar gave me the call. o_O:eek::D

Probably 50 years ago for me when my Dad got me a shortwave receiver, and we built a long wire antenna and I spent my nights spinning that dial listening to Radio Free Europe, Armed Forces Network broadcasting into Vietnam, bunch of Russian and other gibberish stations, Australian blokes and such.

Never really lost the bug even when I found out what girls were for, and got my cars. Added the CB thing to the mix in the heydays of that, learned how to rig up bilateral linear amplifiers, go up on mountains and drink beer till dawn trying to shoot skip, and bug the locals with 150 watts of annoying CB chatter. CB's allowed us to keep track of the cops, we used coded words for our locations and alternate channels. Redneck for life.

Finally got a ham ticket about 10 years ago, reconnected with some of the CB clowns who were now hard core Extra class geeks.

Finally got a ham ticket about 10 years ago, reconnected with some of the CB clowns who were now hard core Extra class geeks.

I'm just hoping they don't say "Good buddy". :rolleyes:

I had the CB bug when it was popular. Used a modified ham band Yaesu with a beam antenna on the east coast, seen in one of my pics, and barefoot to Japan on the west coast. Somebody near me in Pacifica had a dirty linear that put out a lot of harmonics and fuzzed up the TV bad enough to make me wanna hunt him down.

The best solution won't likely be inexpensive or lightweight unless you are going to rely on the use of repeaters. If you think your journey might be more than a few days you need to look at a relatively lightweight option that uses longer reaching lower frequencies.

I'd consider two options: Option 1 wound be based on a Yaesu FT-817ND and option 2 based on the heavier though 20 times more powerful Yaesu F-857D.

Either would use an LNR EFT-10/20/40 antenna and a slingshot to get it up as high as possible. They would also require a solar charger - I'd get one that I can open and drape down my back as I walk during the day.

The 857D would require an external battery that would add 4.5 lbs (AGM) or 1 lb (LithiumIon).

817ND system would weigh about 5-6 lbs total, where the 857D system would weigh between 9 and 12 lbs depending on battery. Either solution puts you around $1,000. Remember, regardless of solution, you should have something at home or other destination so they can listen for you.

I'm just hoping they don't say "Good buddy". :rolleyes:

I had the CB bug when it was popular. Used a modified ham band Yaesu with a beam antenna on the east coast, seen in one of my pics, and barefoot to Japan on the west coast. Somebody near me in Pacifica had a dirty linear that put out a lot of harmonics and fuzzed up the TV bad enough to make me wanna hunt him down.
Good times. Nothing like thumbtacks in the coax to chill out a chucker. Not that I would ever advocate doing such a thing... and under no circumstances should anyone pack dog poo under their car door handles.

3MTA3 good advice
I have packed my 857D with antenna and motorcycle battery and using 5 watts talked around the world. Kind of fun, sometimes takes patience to get the QSO. Adapters for power from the jeep and a Yeasu atis antenna mounted on the bumper, give additional options. Pack will fit on mountain bike to save walking long distances.
Also quad band in vehicles and base. (really only use UHF and VHF bands of the quad bands)
Haven't got into solar panels for charging the batteries but probably should.
Get to know some of the Amateur Radio Emergency Services people and procedures will help you know that there are planned procedures for earthquakes etc to keep in communication.

The best solution won't likely be inexpensive or lightweight unless you are going to rely on the use of repeaters. If you think your journey might be more than a few days you need to look at a relatively lightweight option that uses longer reaching lower frequencies.

I'd consider two options: Option 1 wound be based on a Yaesu FT-817ND and option 2 based on the heavier though 20 times more powerful Yaesu F-857D.

Either would use an LNR EFT-10/20/40 antenna and a slingshot to get it up as high as possible. They would also require a solar charger - I'd get one that I can open and drape down my back as I walk during the day.

The 857D would require an external battery that would add 4.5 lbs (AGM) or 1 lb (LithiumIon).

817ND system would weigh about 5-6 lbs total, where the 857D system would weigh between 9 and 12 lbs depending on battery. Either solution puts you around $1,000. Remember, regardless of solution, you should have something at home or other destination so they can listen for you.

+1.......I got the Yaesu 857D.. it claims to be the worlds smallest all band 100 watt transceiver. and it is pretty darn small..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top