JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
much the same as "elk are where you find them" …. "elk do what they're gonna do" ……. you can pattern elk UNTIL some little, maybe unnoticed, thing changes that pattern

8mm Rem mag was listed. I used one at 35 yrds 225 Rem core lock shot her just below the ear opening, 90 degrees/ broadside as she poked her head out from behind a 4' at the butt hemlock.
Bullet turned her 90 degrees and down.Three foot circle of blood at her head, she bled out completely.
****Found the smashed bullet 16" from her ear down the near side of her spine.
???

8mm Rem mag was listed. I used one at 35 yrds 225 Rem core lock shot her just below the ear opening, 90 degrees/ broadside as she poked her head out from behind a 4' at the butt hemlock.
Bullet turned her 90 degrees and down.Three foot circle of blood at her head, she bled out completely.
****Found the smashed bullet 16" from her ear down the near side of her spine.
???
Not really showing much potential for a 600 yard shot considering you took it at 35 yards hell that shot could of been taken with a bow talk about Overkill

Dead is dead. Who cares what it was with?
The original poster of this thread wanted to know the best caliber to shoot an elk at 600 yards. Although there isn't really a definitive answer I fail to see how a 35 yard shot is a good example. It's kinda like saying I killed one with a rock so if you throw one hard enough you can use a rock. Even though the statement is true it's really a piss pore example.

The original poster of this thread wanted to know the best caliber to shoot an elk at 600 yards. Although there isn't really a definitive answer I fail to see how a 35 yard shot is a good example. It's kinda like saying I killed one with a rock so if you throw one hard enough you can use a rock. Even though the statement is true it's really a piss pore example.

I think he was just saying his pick, which had already been mentioned, was the 8mm Rem Mag. He added a little anecdote. It may not have been a long range anecdote, but who cares?

I think he was just saying his pick, which had already been mentioned, was the 8mm Rem Mag. He added a little anecdote. It may not have been a long range anecdote, but who cares?
In a thread pertaining to long distance I would imagine a long shot anecdote would be much more informative than a short distance one. Don't get me wrong I'm Shure he has made many farther shots than that. But I personally would be embarrassed to brag about a shot so short. Unless I was just remarking of how an elk came so close to me it was almost to close to shoot.

LOL at all the 6.5 man bun people using it at long ranges for elk. Please do not shoot elk past 300 yards with a 6.5. the energy is not there for a misplaced shot. I wouldn't shoot one at 100 yards with one. Elk deserve better. its fine for deer and goats.

and here it comes..................
Yeah buddy !

I killed an elk once with a .223 at about 12 yards. I didn't consider it a proper elk rifle. I have used the 7 mm Rem mag mostly, I used 140 grain so 450 yards was far enough. The best rifle I have used for me was the .338 Win. mag. Even with today's great game bullets rifles such as the .270 Win. or less are a bad choices for long range bull elk.

I killed an elk once with a .223 at about 12 yards. I didn't consider it a proper elk rifle. I have used the 7 mm Rem mag mostly, I used 140 grain so 450 yards was far enough. The best rifle I have used for me was the .338 Win. mag. Even with today's great game bullets rifles such as the .270 Win. or less are a bad choices for long range bull elk.
Now that is a good example was the one at 12 yards charging you lol

I am newer to the 6.5 and there is a reason why it's so popular. It is making my 270, 06 stay in the safe little more now. I would shoot an elk with any of the 3 above over my 300 win mag at 600 yards. And I know my limits, in field I might not even take that 600 yarder, condition pending.
Reason is, I practice with them rifles at 600 yards on 8" gong, while 300 win mag is at home as a safe queen.
Shot placement and Proper bullet.
If I was to load up the 300 , it be with 190-210 pills or 180/190 mono.
Have you thought or looked at the new 6.5PRC? Shoot them sleek heavies faster.

So that morning I shot the cow in the head at 35ryds I had a 2.850" long cased 220 gr bullet from an 8mm Rem Magnum; I fully expected that bullet to go thru the head it did not.
At 600 yrds a 6.5 Creedmore 143 eldx will take .79 seconds to get to an elk(308 will take .85s)
A lot can happen in .79s
The 35yrd cow in .79s could have whirled and been gone, but I was at 35yrds.
An elk at 600yrds can do a lot in that time(horsefly,squirrel spooks,gets up if it was laying down,another elk moves into the hit Zone) my point with reaction time on the trigger seeing this or not;; might be even 1 second and the shot hits less than perfect , elk runs off while you try to cover 600yrds in a sprint.
Elk dies slowly or?
At 600yrds I would need a very good front and back rest, a lot can happen.
Oh the 6.5 creed has 1154 ftlbs energy and if there was just a 10 mph wind that bullet is moved 22.45" off at 90 degrees from target line , it might be less.

Farthest I have shot elk in open timber hunting area I hunt was about 125yrds.
I have seen elk at near 600yrds in an open snow field but the downward angle was 25 degrees about; not measured nor was the yardage. ?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top