JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While it's possible to kill an elk with a .223, these are big animals that can absorb a lot of damage without falling over. I've seen an elk take a 7MM Rem Mag 160 grain bullet to the lungs and not even blink. Yes, it would have soon died, but it took more shooting to put the animal down so it wouldn't run off a cliff. While a 6.5MM Creedmoore is a great round, it doesn't bring enough clout to the fight for me to be sure there will be a quick, humane death on a large bull elk. If you can handle it well you should be shooting at least a .300 Win Mag. If you can't handle a .300 Win Mag, use the most powerful rifle you can handle well.

I took my last 2 elk with a .338/.378 Weatherby Mag. Both elk were running through the timber. When I pulled the trigger each tumbled to the ground instantly. I liked that!
agree 100%. I have been fortunate to harvest lots of elk and been on even more elk hunts as a guest. I have seen many really well hit bulls from 7mm, 270 and .308 that did not anchor them. Several we never found. I am not taking about bad hits, I am talking about a shoulder or lung or other decent shots that allowed them to get back up and run off. I big old bull, especially when rutting takes offense to being shot. Energy is the ONLY thing that will make them think twice about getting up. Thats why people use big guns for big bears, to break them down.

agree 100%. I have been fortunate to harvest lots of elk and been on even more elk hunts as a guest. I have seen many really well hit bulls from 7mm, 270 and .308 that did not anchor them. Several we never found. I am not taking about bad hits, I am talking about a shoulder or lung or other decent shots that allowed them to get back up and run off. I big old bull, especially when rutting takes offense to being shot. Energy is the ONLY thing that will make them think twice about getting up. Thats why people use big guns for big bears, to break them down.

I am a firm believer that many elk "misses" were not misses, and the elk died a slow death later. Using "enough gun" is the best way to be sure your shot does what it is supposed to do.

It is really not a simple answer as each individual has a recoil threshold where accuracy starts to degrade. I used to be able to shoot the big boomers with superb accuracy, those days are past me now so I stick with a 280 ai for my elk rifle. Shooting an elk at 600 yds and further is not to be taken lightly and whatever you field, you better be able to keep your shots consistently in the kill zone at the ranges you intend to shoot. Field a rifle shooting a cartridge that has the best blend of speed and bullet weight that you can still shoot accurately. Might be a 338 rum for some and a 7mm-08 for others. Only you can decide what cartridge is the best for you.

I have not "done it all" in regards to "killing" elk but I am certainly well in the middle area on experience for myself and others I've guided, hunted with and witnessed - I have killed a few adult cows with a 6.5 CM and I will say that bullet choice in paramount - I will not argue the relevant effectiveness of the frangible hunting bullet craze that's rocked the hunting world but I will say that I only use and suggest to others to use BONDED CORE or MONOLITHICS (not all but certain ones), Bergers and "target bullets" do "kill", of that I'll not debate but they also make a BIG MESS no matter the shot placement, sure we don't take the innards home and "no gut field dress/quartering" is how I do 90+% of the kills I'm in on, use what you want and don't argue with me about what I choose to use …. For a dedicated "elk rifle", and if you don't already own one in this class, an elk hunter could do ALOT worse than 300 WSM and a MULTITUDE of bullet weights and styles and NEVER look back - I have killed cows AND bulls with 6.5 CM/270 WSM/280 AI/7mm RM/30.06/300 Win Mag/338-o6/338 Win Mag/ and I've never been happier than I am right now with a silenced T3x 300 WSM - I do enjoy my 6.5 CM - I also use 6x fixed scopes exclusively and don't take ANY shot beyond 600 yd (beyond 450 the shot HAS to be perfect in all respects for me take it) ALL of you "long range elk snipers" remember this one thing, elk are cyclic the same as all things, we will be seeing a lot of limitations added to elk hunting in the coming years … fewer tags/limitations on optics/closer scrutiny of our practices/increased hostilities toward one-another for a long list of reasons/ - the goobers who think it's cool to shoot an elk at 1200 yards, wound it, and then take 30 minutes to reach it and end it suffering will surely phukk it up for EVERYONE …….enjoy

300wm. It's one of those "hurts so good" rifles to shoot, and at 600 yards it brings a mighty hammer to the party.

.338WM to .458WM and 460Weatherby... go big or stay home!!!

I know a guy who shoots nothing but big. His favorite deer rifle is an 8mm Rem Mag. Speaking of that, if there were some slicker 8mm bullets available, the 8mm Rem Mag would make an awesome open country elk rifle.

I was enamored of the ballistics of the 8mm Rem Mag when I first discovered it. But the cartridge just never caught on. I do think that lack of bullet selection was the issue.

especially when rutting

In what states do they hold rifle elk season during the rut? Certainly not in Oregon.

How did all the old-timers do it w/o all these newer calibers...;)
.270, .308 & 30-06 seems to ring a bell.

AFAIK old timers shot their game at reasonable distances. The 600yd craze is a fairly recent phenom.

When I could still walk in the woods, and still see reasonably well, 200yds was my max distance with my .308. Tho my first elk rifle was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag using 175gr bullets, later in life 200yds was what I felt I could shoot well enough to have reliable kills. However, most of the elk I harvested were shot at 50yds. IMO LD shooting is not as challenging as getting close and I've witnessed way way way too many slobs wasting game with marginal, low percentage shots. Even well hit elk get away... why take chances???

Last Edited:
.338WM to .458WM and 460Weatherby... go big or stay home!!!

I was enamored of the ballistics of the 8mm Rem Mag when I first discovered it. But the cartridge just never caught on. I do think that lack of bullet selection was the issue.

In what states do they hold rifle elk season during the rut? Certainly not in Oregon.

The rut is changing. Last few years in CO bulls have still been rutting last week if OCT, first week of Nov. Last year in OR bulls were still rutting all the way through Oct. I did not shoot a bull last year, but had two different bulls rutting with groups of cows 3rd week of Oct. I found them because of the bugling.

AFAIK old timers shot their game at reasonable distances. The 600yd craze is a fairly recent phenom.

When I could still walk in the woods, and still see reasonably well, 200yds was my max distance with my .308. Tho my first elk rifle was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag using 175gr bullets, later in life 200yds was what I felt I could shoot well enough to have reliable kills. However, most of the elk I harvested were shot at 50yds. IMO LD shooting is not as challenging as getting close and I've witnessed way way way too many slobs wasting game with marginal, low percentage shots. Even well hit elk get away... why take chances???

The rut is changing. Last few years in CO bulls have still been rutting last week if OCT, first week of Nov. Last year in OR bulls were still rutting all the way through Oct. I did not shoot a bull last year, but had two different bulls rutting with groups of cows 3rd week of Oct. I found them because of the bugling.

Thanx for the info!! Is it climate change???

(Btw, please work on yer "quote" procedures. It took extra effort for me to obtain and then find your remark/reply. No biggie, but's it's on my list of pet peeves.:))

Thanx for the info!! Is it climate change???

(Btw, please work on yer "quote" procedures. It took extra effort for me to obtain and then find your remark/reply. No biggie, but's it's on my list of pet peeves.:))
Sure its climate change. Summers start later and end later. Hunting in Oct sometimes is still 75-80 degrees out . Only problem is we cant change the climate change because we aren't responsible for it. Talk to God.

Just wait till the deer rut starts in late Nov/Dec. Its coming.

Sure its climate change. Summers start later and end later. Hunting in Oct sometimes is still 75-80 degrees out . Only problem is we cant change the climate change because we aren't responsible for it. Talk to God.

Just wait till the deer rut starts in late Nov/Dec. Its coming.

The shift in timing of the seasons has been happening longer than the "climate change" hoax. But wait long enough and it will head in the other direction. Everything is cyclical in this world.

We are having another mild winter here. So it is hard to tell what the timing of the season is this year. I don't remember anything being unusual about the last fall, but spring does seem to be coming early. Or maybe I'm just distracted enough not to notice how close to the equinox time is drifting. :)

The wife has live here long enough to have seen everything. She remembers snow piled up 10' high in the streets. I remember -40F and ice storms. I also remember the saying "Don't like the Oregon weather? Wait 5 min, it will change!" Seems like that is true.

I do wonder what is going on with the magnetic poles tho. Soon compass nav will be impossible. And the Earth is wobbly. We are all doomed!!! ;)

The shift in timing of the seasons has been happening longer than the "climate change" hoax. But wait long enough and it will head in the other direction. Everything is cyclical in this world.

We are having another mild winter here. So it is hard to tell what the timing of the season is this year. I don't remember anything being unusual about the last fall, but spring does seem to be coming early. Or maybe I'm just distracted enough not to notice how close to the equinox time is drifting. :)

The wife has live here long enough to have seen everything. She remembers snow piled up 10' high in the streets. I remember -40F and ice storms. I also remember the saying "Don't like the Oregon weather? Wait 5 min, it will change!" Seems like that is true.

I do wonder what is going on with the magnetic poles tho. Soon compass nav will be impossible. And the Earth is wobbly. We are all doomed!!! ;)
Ya weather is funny. I have a place in Grant County that got more snow this year than last and my property got it pretty good. But up in your area not as much. It just depends which way the wind blows, much like all the whacko libtards in western Oregon. That's why I bought my place in eastern Oregon to have an escape. But the real escape comes in a couple years when my last one is out of school. Moving outta here. Going to Idaho. Its actually closer to my property from there. MAGA2020!

I guess we kinda got off topic here. Most posts end that way.

Geez! Sounds like everyone thinks shooting an elk at 600 yards is OK. That is a long shot at a very large sturdy animal. The probability of wounding the animal is great. Unless your a Marine sniper with a wind gauge and spotter i would suggest getting closer. I know some of you have probably made some long shots but reason needs to take over here. IT'S PRETTY SIMPLE JUST GET CLOSER!

Sounds like everyone thinks shooting an elk at 600 yards is OK

Uh, did you read this thread? ;):p:D

Mostly everyone. Not me. Never took a shot over 200yds. Never wanted to try to figure out the drop at those ranges. It's just not for me. I'll stop short of saying I disapprove of others doing it, since I don't know what they shoot and what their skill level is... :)

Uh, did you read this thread? ;):p:D

Mostly everyone. Not me. Never took a shot over 200yds. Never wanted to try to figure out the drop at those ranges. It's just not for me. I'll stop short of saying I disapprove of others doing it, since I don't know what they shoot and what their skill level is... :)
SORRY, COMMENT WAS TOO INCLUSIVE

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads