JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of getting a hunting rifle this spring, any recommendations on an all-around caliber for small - midsize game? I was thinking 308 win, or 6.5 CM.

Any rifle recommendations 5ish round capacity? Something they might have at a big box store now like Sportsmans Warehouse.

It isn't exactly cutting edge, but the .3030 WCF has been used to take a lot of game in that category. Light, handy, lever-action in said makes a fine choice in the Pacific Northwest. :)

B14 is a great rifle but maybe a little heavy for a hunting setup if hiking. My opinion, others will disagree. X bolts and americans and tikas can be light and handy, in stock often. 308 is my favorite cartridge and would work. 6.5 cm probably work even better. Depending on your definition of medium game, 6.5 grendel might even work. Try to spend as much or more on the optic as the base rifle.

Something in .243 Winchester would be really hard to beat, loaded with 80-95gn cartridges it can safely take most game animals you will come across out to 200yd.

loaded with lighter projectiles it will take care of any varmints you come across.

ammo is plentiful and easy to find, seems to be unaffected by current shortages

It isn't exactly cutting edge, but the .3030 WCF has been used to take a lot of game in that category. Light, handy, lever-action in said makes a fine choice in the Pacific Northwest. :)
I use this setup for western oregon deer hunting and it works excellent for that, i have mine setup with a low power scout scope too (for my old eyes!)!

For eastern OR, i use a .300 WinMag or .270 Win depending on what and where....but for a good brush deer gun i love my .30-.30 lever!

7mm cause there is still ammo around.

6.5 cm if you reload

6.5 Grendel will just make you cry cause ammo is non existent(ask me how I know:s0044:)

.700NE. Because you never can be too careful.

:D

Quite right. And none of this single or double. Bolt-action repeater. Seen next to a .270.

700-zoom02.jpg

700-zoom01.jpg

700-zoom03.jpg

Okay then, 20mm Vulcan. Because, why not? :D:D:D

Mark Serbu has a plan:

Since your talking small to medium game i would suggest something between a 243 to a 270. Shoot a rabbit with a 270 and it better be a head shot. Shoot a deer with a 243 it is not going to give much margin for error. You almost need to buy two rifles to do it right. One rifle maybe a swede or a roberts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top