JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the gold standard used to be the 30/30, then the '06, then .308... Maybe now it's the creedmoor. If the biggest thing I was planning on shooting were a blacktail, you'd have an uphill battle convincing me the 30/30 won't cut it.

My mid caliber rifle is a left handed Savage 110 in .270. I know it's not the latest or greatest but it'll work and I can find a box of ammo for it most anywhere.

I think the gold standard used to be the 30/30, then the '06, then .308... Maybe now it's the creedmoor. If the biggest thing I was planning on shooting were a blacktail, you'd have an uphill battle convincing me the 30/30 won't cut it.
Creedmor is flavour of the month.
.30-30 isn't a bad choice, but the bullet's a little big (although the 125 gr. Federal round has very good possiblities!).
My vote was for 7mm-08, but .250 Savage might be an even better choice for this catagory.

...100 grain bullet works real well on Blacktail, too! :s0155:

Last Edited:
If we are going "quarter-bore" I think the .257 Roberts is king. It betters the .250 Savage on all measures of performance in the same weight rifles and with such a tiny increase in recoil that most could not tell the difference. It's a very efficient cartridge, especially when comparing it to the "bigger" .25 caliber options.

Brass is not all that hard to find, and you can simply run a 7mm Mauser case through the sizing die and load ... it will run just fine. While there are not a lot of factory offerings, there are enough to cover the gamut from Whistle Pigs to Deer ... and while not as common as the '06 or .270W it's not unusual to see a box or two on a dealers shelves ... this present time excepted where everything is missing except for the two boxes of 28 gauge shells I saw in Bi-Mart the other day.

My mid caliber rifle is a left handed Savage 110 in .270. I know it's not the latest or greatest but it'll work and I can find a box of ammo for it most anywhere.
I'm not going to lie, since not a ton of people shoot .243 it's the same as your .270.

My last ammo run, my LGS let me buy 4 boxes in one day instead of the usual 1 or 2. Because it was pretty much all he had in stock.

If we are going "quarter-bore" I think the .257 Roberts is king. It betters the .250 Savage on all measures of performance in the same weight rifles and with such a tiny increase in recoil that most could not tell the difference. It's a very efficient cartridge, especially when comparing it to the "bigger" .25 caliber options.

Brass is not all that hard to find, and you can simply run a 7mm Mauser case through the sizing die and load ... it will run just fine. While there are not a lot of factory offerings, there are enough to cover the gamut from Whistle Pigs to Deer ... and while not as common as the '06 or .270W it's not unusual to see a box or two on a dealers shelves ... this present time excepted where everything is missing except for the two boxes of 28 gauge shells I saw in Bi-Mart the other day.
.250 Savage suffered from the same malady the 6mm Remington did.
Wrong twist rate for the more popular rounds.
Once that got corrected, the .250 had no problem keeping up with anything in its class, but the die had already been cast and the round could never regain ground lost to newer, more popular rounds.

Last Edited:
Thinking of getting a hunting rifle this spring, any recommendations on an all-around caliber for small - midsize game? I was thinking 308 win, or 6.5 CM.

Any rifle recommendations 5ish round capacity? Something they might have at a big box store now like Sportsmans Warehouse.
Many people choose the wrong caliber when hunting, but "small-medium game" is semi subjective.

.30 cal rifles (6.5, 7mm, .300 wm .308 etc..) are definitely representitive of great rifles for different game, but you need to spend time learning about the different rounds available and excercise discretion.

Wrong .30 cal round in a blacktail and kiss a big hunk of meat goodbye...shoot any "small game" with a 30 cal, and you get a smear and a crappy pelt.

Theres so much to consider, but seriously small game, how about a good ol .22, or a .410? Hell back East I knew a guy that hunted white tail with a .410 slugger.

A good ol .270 is a great all around rifle, .223 bolt would be great too. I really recommend getting to know the rounds and understand your desired game before choosing an " all around rifle."

Get ready to be convinced, especially if you're limiting the .30-30 to open sights.

How many blacktail bucks get killed every year in clear cuts? Lots. Lots and lots.

Clearcuts can cover a lot of ground. How far can you shoot with an open-sighted .30-30? 200 yards, maybe? Probably 150.

Even scoped, blunt nosed bullets moving slow lose a lot of juice past 250.

You'd be severely limiting yourself with a .30-30.

P

Get ready to be convinced, especially if you're limiting the .30-30 to open sights.

How many blacktail bucks get killed every year in clear cuts? Lots. Lots and lots.

Clearcuts can cover a lot of ground. How far can you shoot with an open-sighted .30-30? 200 yards, maybe? Probably 150.

P
That's fair, but I'm not convinced the 30-30 is inadequate. The deer I've shot with mine looked pretty darn dead :) but I won't deny there are more effective cartridges

That's fair, but I'm not convinced the 30-30 is inadequate. The deer I've shot with mine looked pretty darn dead :) but I won't deny there are more effective cartridges

How far were the deer you shot?

I'm saying that outside of 150 (okay, 200 if you're really, really good) the .30-30 is inadequate.

P

I will say, I love my 6mm Rem for everything up to blacktail. Packed into a compact Remington 600, this is my go to rifle. And with the current ammo situation, 6mm Rem is actually still fairly easy to find. But ammo is more expensive and finding a used rifle in 6mm rem can be a challenge.

Do love my 30-30 too!

After a couple shoulder surgery's I now hunt with 30-30 and 6.5x55. The 30-30 is an easy to carry brush gun. I can shoot from 110 to 180 gr bullets through it just fine. but its limited to shots under about 200 yds. 110 gr bullets will take a rabbit or squirrel just fine and with heavy bullets Black Bear are not out of the question.
The 6.5 is just as capable on longer shots. I have used it on Coyotes and deer quite a bit. I use 120 to 160 gr bullets in it. And it will extend my shooting another 100 yards or so to 300 yds. Anything the 6.5 x 55 can do the Creed can also. On the bench the 6.5 can reach out much farther but I limit my shots on game.
If I had to pick just one the 30-30 would be hard to put down. DR

223, small game
243, 6.5, 308, 270 mid
30-06 + for big game.
I have 223, 6.5, 270, 06, 300win and 9.3.
I could get by with 223 and 06.
The tikka 6.5 is easiest to shoot well...Boring accurate

P

If you MUST take any shot that comes around then I totally agree with your post. Some people, myself included, prefer to get close or not shoot at all. I sometimes use my lever action .35 Remington but mostly it's a muzzleloading, underhammer, .62 caliber rifle and if Jim Kibler ever gets his Trade Gun flintlock kit out, I will use that. Because I am not starving to death and look at hunting as more of a blood sport I enjoy stalking and try to get within 40 yards or less.

If I HAD to take any shot at small to mid-size game that came around, then I am firmly in the .257 Roberts camp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top