JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some insight. I am trying to decide on a cartridge that would be good for game as big as an elk. Shots out to 600 yards plus. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and love it as a target rifle but I have read conflicting things on the effectiveness on game out to decent ranges. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last Edited:
10mm is the best millimeter. At least from what I've read on the internet.

Im certain your 6.5 is more than crabapple of taking an elk at 600 yards. If your not, spend more time practicing than buying another gun.

"Tis the Indian not the arrow."

There's guys that have dropped elk and 1200 yards with a 6.5 CM so 600 is certainly doable if the shooter is up to it. Other schools of thought start at 7mm Rem Mag and above for that type of shooting.

Nothing less then a .270 with a 150 gr pill for me, and preferable a .30/06 with a 180 gr or bigger! I want to put the animal on the ground with the least amount of suffering as I can! :cool:

I am not one of those people looking for a caliber to "make" me a good shot. I have full confidence in my own abilities. I am just curious on people's first hand experience. I have been away from hunting for nearly a decade and just want to be ready as far as gear goes when the time comes. Trying to be fair to the animal. I love the 6.5 cm and it's potential (range/accuracy).

Honestly, I'm sure the smaller calibers using the high BC/SD bullets work fine. But me, I prefer tougher bullets pushed fast. If you shoot bigger calibers well, I don't see a reason not to bring a little more freight. I know plenty of people, who got sick of getting kicked, who are successful with lighter calibers like 6.5 CM and 7mm-08.

Honestly, I'm sure the smaller calibers using the high BC/SD bullets work fine. But me, I prefer tougher bullets pushed fast. If you shoot bigger calibers well, I don't see a reason not to bring a little more freight. I know plenty of people, who got sick of getting kicked, who are successful with lighter calibers like 6.5 CM and 7mm-08.

That's the bottom line.

I am not one of those people looking for a caliber to "make" me a good shot. I have full confidence in my own abilities. I am just curious on people's first hand experience. I have been away from hunting for nearly a decade and just want to be ready as far as gear goes when the time comes. Trying to be fair to the animal. I love the 6.5 cm and it's potential (range/accuracy).

I have full faith in your abilities too, but if I didn't, I'd correct you calling the 6.5 Creedmoor a caliber instead of a cartridge.;)

I never thought I'd be so happy to see a "best caliber" thread. But after all the coronacrap talk I'm in!

.308 and be done with it.

And I as well shoot 6.5CM.

LOL at all the 6.5 man bun people using it at long ranges for elk. Please do not shoot elk past 300 yards with a 6.5. the energy is not there for a misplaced shot. I wouldn't shoot one at 100 yards with one. Elk deserve better. its fine for deer and goats.

and here it comes..................

Best is one thing, favorite is another.
I'm a 30 caliber fan. There's not much you can't take care of with a fast 30 and an appropriate bullet.
I don't hunt long range, but there's not much I can't take care of with my 30-06, near or far.

Almost as many options for the best as there are opinions.

Best is one thing, favorite is another.
I'm a 30 caliber fan. There's not much you can't take care of with a fast 30 and an appropriate bullet.
I don't hunt long range, but there's not much I can't take care of with my 30-06, near or far.

Almost as many options for the best as there are opinions.

Considering there are at least 10 viable 30 caliber cartridges available to hunt with, you could literally have 10 rifles shooting the same .308 bullet in 100 fps increments starting at 2300fps to 3300 fps and not even have all the 30's covered!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews