JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Totally screwed

I drive a 105,500GVW Kenworth/Pioneer equipment Dump truck and Pup trailer for a site development and paving company. We cover about 1/4 of Western Oregon from the Oregon Coast to the Summit of Santiam Pass from The Columbia River to Eugene.

And I can be almost anywhere within that massive area on any given day. Or I can be from one end to the other in the same day. It is not uncommon for me to be on a job that I make 3 laps and travel 450 miles.

I can not have a firearm in the company vehicle, I can not have a firearm on company property or the companies property we park our trucks at night (even this can very as we often park near the job site and travel in pickups back and forth)

It would not be at all practical to try to carry any type of GHB with me in the truck since between my small lunch cooler and my document and tool bag, tow chain, and a few tools. The floor of the truck and the spare seat are taken. The underseat storage is full of first aid kit road flares and reflectors and a spill kit.

The only advantage I have is that I would have little trouble clearing stalled vehicles out of my way. And since my truck is not computer controlled may not be EMP effected.

For the most common place I park my pickup and most common place we park our trucks I would have 1 minor creek and two major creeks to cross on the 16 mile route home (if traveling on foot this would be reduced to about 13 miles) I know where to cross all three on foot though I doubt that all the small bridges would be taken out by even a major earthquake. And even if the old wood rail road trestle collapsed I could crawl over the resulting pile of wood to gain the other side (or just swim)

So if I could make it back to my days starting point I could make it home in roughly 6 hours I figure.

If I'm on the far side of the Willamette or south of the Santiam rivers I could be screwed.

Anyone else in this bad of situation?

Granted I am also home for about 5 Fall Winter Spring months a year while laid off.

Course the wife works 43 miles away from home on the other side of the Willamette River and the Pudding (I can route her around the smaller creeks if need be) She does have one advantage there is a Ferry that operates on the Willamette River almost directly inline with her shortest route home. It is self propeled and small so could remain operational even if the Bridges were down. To bad its 15 miles from her work. She might end up having to try to walk to it. We do have family on the other side of the Willamette she could head to. But those are our Kids and their kids and there not set up and live in an Apt complex so no telling. Not to mention they both work on the northside of Portland and live on the far south side.

Just getting home should something sudden happen during the day will be an adventure.

Questions
Are you able to do the hike(s) you described?
Do you have the specific routes mapped?
Have you thought about putting cache(s) along your routes with water, lite food stores, fire makings. a cheap pistol with ammo.
Just some thoughts to look at.

Questions
Are you able to do the hike(s) you described?
Do you have the specific routes mapped?
Have you thought about putting cache(s) along your routes with water, lite food stores, fire makings. a cheap pistol with ammo.
Just some thoughts to look at.

Yes I can do the walk. Depending on how far the hike is since it could be from right across the street from my home to 100miles away on any given day. Makes it hard to answer.

Same with the idea of a cache since I have no idea from which direction I might be heading home I'd have to bury enough stuff to fill a Wholesale Sports store.

Same with routes. I have maps in my truck bag and have lived in this part of Oregon for almost 54 years. And since 1996 I have had jobs driving to every corner of this part of the state so I'm pretty familar with any route I might have to take.

I have to ask an you carry a small backpack (or daypack) with just the basic, like a poncho, lighter, hand or body warmers, datrex, a couple bottles of water, a change of socks and extra poly pro t-shirt or two, with you. these basic items can keep you going warm, dry and provide shelter.

I keep a get home bag in my pickup and only work 4 miles from home, but I just never know when I am going to need it or where i am going to be when I need it. Like you I cannot have a firearm on company property even if it is unloaded in my vehicle in a lock box.

Well the thing is I might be 100 miles away from my Pickup during the work day... So anything stored there might just become someone elses.

yes there is a small amount of stuff I could cram into my truck bag. And I will look into what I can handle humping in and out of the Dump truck every day.

Yeah I would consider a few datrex they are 2,400 calories each, a couple of 20 ox bottles of water and not affected by heat or cold, spare socks (keep the feet dry), a poncho, poly pro t shirts (so you are dry when you stop walking and an extra layer) a wool cap, a lighter, small pocket knife and hand warmers. If you truk is locked at night and you are the only driver you may consider leaving it in there. I would also put an n-95 mask in a zip loc, into the first aid kit and triple anti-biotic cream

Being a dump truck, unless it is a new one and an EMP hits, as you said you can push almost anything you need to out of your way.

I shine my hiney for a living (work in an office) and i keep a few basics there. Datrex, bottled water, n-95 mask, first aid, gym shoes, a fleece, power bars, flash light. What I need for me, if there is extra for other great if not, that is there problem. I quit trying to take care of the world, one they do not want it and two they do not appreciate it.

Truck is not locked at night and every emp in the company has a key to the lock box even if I did lock it. Also the truck can and has been used by others. Also moved during washing on Sundays so it is certainly not secure.

Truck carries a very complete first aid kit (and I can't count how many first aid and various type classes I have had since the first one 37 years ago) As to hand warmers and such this is Western Oregon and I don't work from end of Nov to about 1st of April in a normal year so just the light jacket I keep in the truck would be more then enough (I'm well insulated). As to the particle mask. Well I guess it would help a little bit but since I sport a FULL untrimmed beard that averages around 3/4-1" long the masks are of little use. A tight wrapped bandana is as good or better.

I carry two knives and a small tool kit along with a flashlight and other items already in my truck bag. And since I eat my lunch in the truck (we do not take any breaks or have anything like an actual lunch) I always have some food and water/drink with me.

On this same vein...
I live in SW Portland but work in Vancouver.
Earthquake, volcano, terrorist attack...
The I-5 and I-205 bridges are shut down, or slowed to a mind-numbing crawl...
My boss lives in a houseboat. I have made a pact with her that if her boat still works, she will get me across the Columbia. After that, I'm on my own.
So many bridges...good thing I'm a strong swimmer.

On this same vein...
I live in SW Portland but work in Vancouver.
Earthquake, volcano, terrorist attack...
The I-5 and I-205 bridges are shut down, or slowed to a mind-numbing crawl...
My boss lives in a houseboat. I have made a pact with her that if her boat still works, she will get me across the Columbia. After that, I'm on my own.
So many bridges...good thing I'm a strong swimmer.

Sounds like a good plan. I would want to know that the house boat stays fueled and good working order and with some provisions on it.

On the issue of the truck being unlocked all night, I get what you are saying loading tools and stuff every can be a pain and I am sure it is, you may keep a small pack in your pickup that you take with you in bad weather and when tensions are high. The only problem that is 9/11 was sunny beautiful and peaceful day. Beside my earlier suggestion I do not have any, maybe someone else here will have abetter idea.

Rule #1
Have a PLAN, even a bad plan is better than NO PLAN!
Rule #2
Get in motion! Many Jews escaped the Nazies because they had a plan and they started moving ASAP, as they traveled they modified thier plans to fit the circumstances, if they had to cross a river they looked for innertubes!

I would invest in the best deep concealment holster I could find, some appropriate long tailed shirts if necessary and keep it to myself.

Two spare mags disguised inside some food containers in your lunch box.

That, an EMP-proof dump truck, a solid plan coordinated with your wife and I would consider myself pretty well off.

I don't carry water because it's heavy. I carry an empty 20 oz bottle, some coffee filters and some chlorine tablets. I know it isn't the best, but I can always find water in this area. I also carry 4 of these because they weigh nothing, take up almost no space, and will easily float the backpack. The backpack straps will fit through them. <broken link removed>

Everything in the backpack is in zip lock bags or even sealed with a vacuum sealer. It's a small backback - no frame.

I would invest in the best deep concealment holster I could find, some appropriate long tailed shirts if necessary and keep it to myself.

Two spare mags disguised inside some food containers in your lunch box.

That, an EMP-proof dump truck, a solid plan coordinated with your wife and I would consider myself pretty well off.

I take it you have never driven something like a dump truck. I even take my wallet out cause the constant shaking around makes having it in my pocket impossible. Trying to have a pistol in a holester would be even worse. And I would not break my emplorers rules about no firearms. not worth the risk,

I am assuming you are talking about the willamette. If not then disregard.

I think in any SHTF scenario the ferry will be out of commission so...

I would park at the wilsonville memorial city park. Walk to the end past the ball fields. there is a green space with a covered bbq area. Go past that and you will end up at the river. If you jump in there and swim across(if its you then use your cooler as a float device to help you), by the time you get across the river you will be into molalla river state park(or close to it) then get out there. If you are a strong swimmer and get across in charbonneau I would still float to MSP. As it would be easier to get out of rather then going through some farmers field. Start a fire if its cold out and warm up. Then hike up holly st to territorial. I am assuming you can find your way home from there.

I know where you are coming from brother as I too travel a great deal with work.

jj

Does your company have rules against bows?

I'm not sure I should find my emp manual and look that up. But as a right handed person who is left eye dominate my work with a bow is more dangerous for innocent bystanders then my intended target LOL.

Train yourself to shoot left-handed...I am right-handed but blind in my right eye. I shoot rifle and bow left-handed and while I am no William Tell, I usually hit what I'm aiming at.
Improvise, overcome and adapt and all that you know...

Train yourself to shoot left-handed...I am right-handed but blind in my right eye. I shoot rifle and bow left-handed and while I am no William Tell, I usually hit what I'm aiming at.
Improvise, overcome and adapt and all that you know...

You ever been in the cab of a dump truck? Pretty sure that even a small compound bow would end up being a total PITA to try to keep from getting messed up in a Dump truck cab.

Can you carry a small hatchet??? Seriously it is classified as a tool, but is one **** of an intimidator or a knife for cutting ropes and such, I know PITA putting in and taking out everyday just tossing out ideas

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top