JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Except that what we were discussing was no "shoulder interface" on the backplane and the mags pointing the other way. Maybe start with a cheekrest as the "saddle" the mag pouches mount on...

I have one of those carriers mounted on the left-sie handguard on my Mk 18, a 40rd PMAG nestles in very nicely with an A5 buffer tube and SBM4.
The mag holder you suggested would work great with or without mag in the holder. I would want mine mounted so the rear portion of the mag holder extends beyond the extension tube. That way if it incidently bumped my shoulder it would be more comfortable than being bumped by the bare extension tube. You may be able to pad the exterior of the mag carrier to make it comfortable for a cheek weld.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a pivot to "OVER The Shoulder" tubes like the back end of a bazooka...
Barrett did it in the late 80s/early 90s, with bullpup layout even! :s0140:

4o8mdnkzgcb61.jpg barrett_m82a21.jpg 77m5ljw1hcb61.jpg

Barrett did it in the late 80s/early 90s, with bullpup layout even! :s0140:

View attachment 1126935View attachment 1126936View attachment 1126937
This might not be hard to recreate in AR15 platform if you had a really long extension tube. It might make a fun project to do as a rifle. Just slap a piece of plastic pipe with shoulder stop over the factory ext tube. Mounting an optic off the handguard would probably be easy. I wonder how this style of shooting would go over at TCGC.

What's funny about the line item you highlighted regarding 2nd grip is that would be illegal even before the new scorecard sheet?
I read it tO read "grip", as in any grip, angled or vertical, since it doesn't say vertical grip. Many of the other items are quite specific so I would think if they meant vertical grip they would say that. But hard to interpret and they may even have left it intentionally vague who knows. One of the numerous flaws of this bs point system.

I read it tO read "grip", as in any grip, angled or vertical, since it doesn't say vertical grip. Many of the other items are quite specific so I would think if they meant vertical grip they would say that. But hard to interpret and they may even have left it intentionally vague who knows. One of the numerous flaws of this bs point system.
That's the game, deliberately create a Kafka Trap that it's impossible to comply with.

"An interesting game. The only way to win is not to play."--WOPR, WarGames

I got it now, I think you may be right about that. Those guys are getting sneakier by the day. I guess handstops and AFGs might be differentiated for score card purposes. I assumed they accomplished the same task. I own one of each but have never used either one.

It would be a pistol with a brace. SBR with a stock.
I am not convinced this is the case from my research. The between 12-26" keeps it eligible for evaluation as a pistol with a brace using their point system. Longer than 26" oal and ATF considers it needing 2 hands to fire and from what I am reading it will still fall under scrutiny if it has a brace. Bottom line is I think they are coming after anything with a barrel under 16" with a brace. I hope I am wrong but that is what I am interpreting. I will try and dig up some text that leads me to this conclusion.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Relevant text blocks; click to expand
(7) The term "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(8)
The term "short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Now, the points systems seems to be set up to define a braced firearm into either an AOW (under 26" overall length =concealable AOW) or SBR (under 16" barrel, braces redefined as shoulder stocks)

I am not convinced this is the case from my research. The between 12-26" keeps it eligible for evaluation as a pistol with a brace using their point system. Longer than 26" oal and ATF considers it needing 2 hands to fire and from what I am reading it will still fall under scrutiny if it has a brace. Bottom line is I think they are coming after anything with a barrel under 16" with a brace. I hope I am wrong but that is what I am interpreting. I will try and dig up some text that leads me to this conclusion.
If you can provide a link to a maximum barrel length for pistols or "firearms" please post it here. To be a rifle a gun will need a stock. If the gun has a brace it's either a pistol or a "firearm". This will change in August when braced pistols under 26 inches in overall length that score 4 or more points will be SBRs.

Imagine a revolver with a 48 inch barrel. It's still a handgun because it doesn't have a stock.

If you can provide a link to a maximum barrel length for pistols or "firearms" please post it here. To be a rifle a gun will need a stock. If the gun has a brace it's either a pistol or a "firearm". This will change in August when braced pistols under 26 inches in overall length that score 4 or more points will be SBRs.
There seems to be no maximum barrel length. Just the minimum barrel lengths for rifles and shotguns to avoid being "Short Barreled" firearms.

The issue the ATF is having with the braced firearms is that the braces were designed to enable this to be "true"

Gun Control Act Definitions

Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term "Pistol" means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

• a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Its of interest that there are no maximum length defined for a "pistol/handgun" but they made it a point that a pistol must be "designed to be shot with one hand" :rolleyes: even though no certified firearms instructors say that you can't use both hands to shoot your service pistol

Its of interest that there are no maximum length defined for a "pistol/handgun" but they made it a point that a pistol must be "designed to be shot with one hand" :rolleyes: even though no certified firearms instructors say that you can't use both hands to shoot your service pistol
I don't think I would try shooting either of these with one hand. Skip to 6 minute mark to see 20 inch revolver and skip to 10 minute mark to see 26 inch revolver.

I guess the basis of my opinion is this. If I build an AR with a barrel length of less than 16" I can not put a stock on it unless I get a stamp and make it an sbr. They are making almost every style of brace reclassify an ar pistol as an sbr with their point system. So if these braces make an ar pistol a sbr. What does that mean if you put one on an ar with a barrel less than 16" but an oal greater than 26" ?
Here is some text leading me down this thought path.

As a preliminary factor when evaluating a submitted sample, certain prerequisites (i.e., weapon weight and overall length) will be applied to determine if the firearm will even be considered as a possible pistol or immediately determined to be a rifle, as defined by the applicable statutes.

III. Proposed Rule

Given the public interest surrounding these issues, ATF is proposing to amend the definition of "rifle" in 27 CFR 478.11 and 479.11, respectively, by adding a sentence at the end of each definition. The new sentence would clarify that the term "rifle" includes any weapon with a rifled barrel and equipped with [15] an attached "stabilizing brace" that has objective design features and characteristics that indicate that the firearm is designed to be fired from the shoulder, as indicated on ATF Worksheet 4999.

These came from here

I'm either going to sell my braces pistols or dismantle them until courts settle this. My feeling is Washington state will just ban them in the state level and we're screwed either way. But love my Tavor It's shorter than my 10" ar pistol by a few inches and has 16" barrel. Think I'll sell my two AR pistols and buy a Steyer Aug

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top