JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20240513_083148.jpg

This is my 300 Blackout MDR with an updated MDRX handguard (because I need to get to the adjuster without taking everything off)
Anyone else shot one of these in 300blk?
Several Manufactures offer 220gr Subsonic (rated subsonic out of a 16" barrel). Pl
Pleasant to shoot in supersonic too!

I have one in 308/6.5CRE. I think it is a great platform for full size cartridges, but it seems absolutely massive for intermediate stuff. My RDB is practically half the size and over 2lbs lighter. I do appreciate how easy it is to swap it over to a new cartridge, and if you could only choose one it is the more versatile platform, but damn it is still a big gun for such tiny cartridge. Is the recoil even perceptible at all under all that mass?

I have one in 308/6.5CRE. I think it is a great platform for full size cartridges, but it seems absolutely massive for intermediate stuff. My RDB is practically half the size and over 2lbs lighter. I do appreciate how easy it is to swap it over to a new cartridge, and if you could only choose one it is the more versatile platform, but damn it is still a big gun for such tiny cartridge. Is the recoil even perceptible at all under all that mass?
Recoil is barely noticeable. Set up similarly to my 223 Wlvrn (Lpvo and a Supressor it is lighter than the Mdr (10lbs 7oz vs 11lbs 5oz).
It's got a tall booty but I wouldn't call it big.. (You should see one next to a Tavor 7 or Fs2000)

I also have a 308 Mdrx and an Rdb..Love my Rdb..Wlvrn in 223 is growing on me tho..

I can't wait to side by side compare the Wlvrn and Mdr in 300 blk.

Yeah, there are a few other big chonky intermediate rifles out there. As for me I like guns that are pared down to just what the cartridge needs to shoot well. having a bunch of added bulk just so you can be modular between full and intermediate power cartridges seems like a huge waste when you are using the smaller cartridge. I get why people like it and why there are quite a few of them on the market; you only need one gun to have a lot of different capability. But for someone like me who collects guns like a kid collects baseball cards it does not make sense.

I got the MDR and RDB because they are examples of the very few truly ambi bullpup rifles out there. I do shoot off of both hands and having a rifle that does not try to force-feed you brass is a massive plus for me. The vast majority of bullpups have not gotten that memo, so I avoid them except as collectors pieces. The WLVRN fits into that category for me, and I think it is a step backwards from the MDR. Sure it has "better" modularity, but it looses the ability to switch to weak-hand shooting on the fly. But who knows, maybe their next iteration will cram the MDR ejection system into the WLVRN so we can get the best of both worlds, or maybe the industry just accepts that downward ejection is just the better solution overall.

Yeah, there are a few other big chonky intermediate rifles out there. As for me I like guns that are pared down to just what the cartridge needs to shoot well. having a bunch of added bulk just so you can be modular between full and intermediate power cartridges seems like a huge waste when you are using the smaller cartridge. I get why people like it and why there are quite a few of them on the market; you only need one gun to have a lot of different capability. But for someone like me who collects guns like a kid collects baseball cards it does not make sense.

I got the MDR and RDB because they are examples of the very few truly ambi bullpup rifles out there. I do shoot off of both hands and having a rifle that does not try to force-feed you brass is a massive plus for me. The vast majority of bullpups have not gotten that memo, so I avoid them except as collectors pieces. The WLVRN fits into that category for me, and I think it is a step backwards from the MDR. Sure it has "better" modularity, but it looses the ability to switch to weak-hand shooting on the fly. But who knows, maybe their next iteration will cram the MDR ejection system into the WLVRN so we can get the best of both worlds, or maybe the industry just accepts that downward ejection is just the better solution overall.
I guess dont see the "bulk" you mention in the MDR..Front,Back, Top and Bottom its pretty slim at around 1.4" wide.. The only Bulk I see is from the side and I really appreciate the stock goes down that far vs the Rdb.
If you really mean the "weight difference." The Wvlrn vs MDR weight is due to them deleting all the steel parts (rails, barrel block, fasteners, ect) and machining them into the aluminum upper.

Lots of folks really wanted the full power rifles in side eject to be offered..So..That wish was eventually granted..Was that a good Idea..Only time will tell..It does remove 1 of the 2 features that really stand out in the rifle (Forward Eject and Multi caliber).

Sadly...There are no current plans to bring back the forward ejection system (Which will require side plates. Different gas adjuster for more gas, bolt and FE compatible barrel.

I guess dont see the "bulk" you mention in the MDR..Front,Back, Top and Bottom its pretty slim at around 1.4" wide.. The only Bulk I see is from the side and I really appreciate the stock goes down that far vs the Rdb.
If you really mean the "weight difference." The Wvlrn vs MDR weight is due to them deleting all the steel parts (rails, barrel block, fasteners, ect) and machining them into the aluminum upper.

Lots of folks really wanted the full power rifles in side eject to be offered..So..That wish was eventually granted..Was that a good Idea..Only time will tell..It does remove 1 of the 2 features that really stand out in the rifle (Forward Eject and Multi caliber).

Sadly...There are no current plans to bring back the forward ejection system (Which will require side plates. Different gas adjuster for more gas, bolt and FE compatible barrel.
The MDR had a side eject version too. I am not sure why it was in demand though. Was it less parts? Sure. Was it less versatile? Absolutely. Also there are a ton of side-eject-only bullpups on the market, the MDR's whole selling point was the novel ejection system. If all you wanted was a side-eject bullpup why not go for a Hellion, Tavor or AUG (to name just a few)? Granted if you want a 308 bullpup your options are a bit more limited, but the Tavor is still contender for native side eject. It just seems odd to me.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top