JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where measure from? End of buffer tube to muzzle crown without device?
End of receiver (no buffer tube) to muzzle crown, no device?
Edit or
End of fully extenfed "brace" to ebd of barrel with device? :rolleyes:
My understanding is from end of extension tube to muzzle end of barrel. Brace and muzzle device won't count towards OAL.

Screenshot_20220207-105931.png

It's possible you could count the muzzle device if it's pinned and welded. Not sure if they would considered that an operational accessory at that point but maybe.
Well if the ATF considers pin/welded muzzle devices good to go to bring 12-14.5" actual barrels to "16 inches" legal rifle barrels, then it should be good to go for OAL measurements?

I'm not surprised. I'm disappointed and annoyed, but not surprised. We all knew this was coming and frankly, asked for them to stick their noses in our business by using braces as stocks, knowing full well what we were doing on camera. If we would have just used the things and kept our mouths shut about the loophole, they'd never have come this far under the microscope.

Oh right, infringements, blah blah blah. I've heard the chest thumping before and seen little real action

Looks like new pistol point based system will begin in August.

So sometime in June, ATF's new definitions and regulations will go into effect for the receivers, silencers, other categories, and sometime in August the rules will go into effect for pistol stabilizing brace-equipped firearms.

Here's the link without the google all over it:

Sort of related, is the extended extension tubes. Some have said the ATF won't allow the extended ones full length to be counted because you don't need the extra length to operate the firearm. That seems like hogwash to me, it would be like them saying you don't need this extra barrel length so we are only going to measure 10.5 inches of it.

This one is a monster.

Last Edited:
Here's the link without the google all over it:

Thanks not sure how I spilled google all over that other link.

Sort of related, is the extended extension tubes. Some have said the ATF won't allow the extended ones full length to be counted because you don't need the extra length to operate the firearm. That seems like hogwash to me, it would be like them saying you don't need this extra barrel length so we are only going to measure 10.5 inches of it.

This one is a monster.

I understand there could be some length of pull issue but I am not sure how they would calculate the length of pull when you are only holding it to your cheek.

It's possible you could count the muzzle device if it's pinned and welded. Not sure if they would considered that an operational accessory at that point but maybe.
If it is pinned and "welded" then it counts as part of the barrel, whether it is rifled or not. There are a number of examples of that which count towards the length of the barrel, and some which count towards OAL (e.g. for the latter - the FN PS90 which has a 16" barrel but the shroud which extends well past the end of the barrel, is necessary to make it 26" long - the shroud is not pinned to the barrel, but the flash hider is pinned to the shroud and the shroud is attached to the barrel at the breech end and the gun will not function without the shroud - if I understand how the mechanism works).

I have a Shockwave with a brace/tube and pistol grip - it will be interesting to see where that falls in the new rules. I might have to buy a Knoxx Breacher grip instead.

I went to a cheek rest. Apparently per manufacture claim they are kosher with atf. On sale now too.

Scroll down you'll see inventors request to atf then there response back.
I did the same afte rhaving gotten a blade brace in the old school CAR style for my 12" 6.5 Grendel retro firearm. The OAL with the muzzle device and the standard carbine buffer tube was right around 27.5 inches so its greater than 26" if muzzle device were removed. 20210811_195435.jpg 20210811_195441.jpg 20210811_195455.jpg 20210811_195505.jpg

I just did a form 1 and now have an SBR…. No worries on my end. Not like there were any in the first place.

Quick question.

What are the laws governing concealment of an SBR?

I will be honest and admit i find it difficult to read through all the legalese.
I'm not 100 percent sure. So I don't want to offer the wrong advice. I dont conceal mine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top