JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When anyone who gets infected starts dying. That's when I start freaking out.

Right now, I'm still unsure if this is a SHTF event.

When anyone who gets infected starts dying. That's when I start freaking out.

Right now, I'm still unsure if this is a SHTF event.

I think it has some potential. IMO It's a dangerous bug because it stays hidden for up to 14 days. I think the mortality rate will come down as we are able to identify more infected. But the sheep are nervous and there's already shortages. We'll have to see.

It seems that hundreds of starving monkeys who are normally fed by tourists have been terrorizing the town of Lop Buri, Thailand looking for food. Unforeseen consequences....

monkey2.png

The English translation of this article is terrible, but still interesting.

I think it has some potential. IMO It's a dangerous bug because it stays hidden for up to 14 days. I think the mortality rate will come down as we are able to identify more infected. But the sheep are nervous and there's already shortages. We'll have to see.
Meh, state and federal protocol are only to test if you have all 3 symptoms, and, you have been to a country or known contact with a known infected person.

My guesses are a whole ton of people have this and are having minimal to no symptoms.

This keeps the infected number down and the death rate up. Which is creating the fear.

Combine that with non stop reporting on it all hours of the day...

The REAL problem we will have is the PANIC part of it all.

Once people start shooting each other over toilet paper, then I'll consider it a partial SHTF event!

It seems that hundreds of starving monkeys who are normally fed by tourists have been terrorizing the town of Lop Buri, Thailand looking for food. Unforeseen consequences....

View attachment 668892

The English translation of this article is terrible, but still interesting.

Funny how you can draw direct parallels from mother nature to the inner cities of every major city in the USA. The monkeys will do the same here when trucking shuts down and there's not a fresh daily delivery of perishables and consumables.

Meh, state and federal protocol are only to test if you have all 3 symptoms, and, you have been to a country or known contact with a known infected person.

My guesses are a whole ton of people have this and are having minimal to no symptoms.

This keeps the infected number down and the death rate up. Which is creating the fear.

Combine that with non stop reporting on it all hours of the day...

The REAL problem we will have is the PANIC part of it all.

Once people start shooting each other over toilet paper, then I'll consider it a partial SHTF event!

I agree. But there is a high demand for getting test kits out for more people. We'll see if that happens. If the rate of hospitalization slows, then I think the demand for testing slows also. If not, there will be public pressure to get more people tested.

I had to get a small tube of some high end lotion for my hands. Use so much of that damn alcohol based crap at work that my hands were getting bad. I suspect there will be some heavy over time soon for me. Always a drag when I am doing it but come pay day always some new gun I just have to have :s0140:

Funny how you can draw direct parallels from mother nature to the inner cities of every major city in the USA. The monkeys will do the same here when trucking shuts down and there's not a fresh daily delivery of perishables and consumables.
Exactly!! When those who have never worked, have all their life just had everything they need handed to them no longer get free stuff. They will become dangerous.

There is no official definition of "SHTF", but consider the following:
  • As of this writing:
    • There is no cure for this novel virus.
    • There is no vaccine for said. Even the most optimistic timelines puts this a ways out.
    • The outbreak has been officially declared a pandemic.
    • The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci has stated that it is ten (10) times more lethal than the seasonal flu.
    • Testing in our society has been paltry.
    • Over 130,000 cases have been reported in 120 nations.
    • Over 4,900 have died and this figure is expected to rise.
    • A developed, democratic, western nation (Italy) is under complete quarantine. Within less than three weeks the number of infected in that country went from three individuals to over ten thousand victims. The latest count is 827 dead. Giacomo Grasselli, a senior Italian government health official, has characterized situation as "worse than a bomb" on Italy.
    • Travel to and from continental Europe has been stopped for at least 30 days. Travel to other regions had already been halted.
    • The current president of the United States addressed the public last night with a series of initiatives his administration is going to take and/or is asking Congress to approve.
    • Supply chains have been impacted.
    • The stock market has take a dramatic downward turn, in large part, though not exclusively, due to the pandemic.
    • Dozens of major cultural, artistic, sporting, political, and economic events have been cancelled, delayed, modified, or moved.
    • School closures have occurred in various parts of the country.
    • Leading experts in the field of epidemiology, using modeling techniques in their field, are predicting significantly more infections and major disruption to our medical system.
The question is how much worse will it get? If things improve dramatically in the coming weeks, we'll be in pretty good shape. If the figures published by some medical sources come to pass, the world is in for much more misery and chaos.

On a personal level I am glad we've spent years getting ready. We're shoring up a little, but all the key systems and supplies are ready to roll. If nothing happens, then wonderful, it would be a relatively minor, though troubling event. If things continue to deteriorate, well, I'd rather be prepared for when it does than not. YMMV.

As we move deeper into this pandemic at what point in time do we / you consider this a SHTF event ?

With the government now banning the right to assemble and restricting travel from foreign countries how will that affect your daily activities ?

Supply chain disruptions are now affecting durable medical supplies and drugs manufactured in foreign countries and there will be increased pressures for those medical supplies. There are already spot shortages of consumer goods in local stores. With my inherent mistrust of the governments release of information and it's inability to handle even routine business in a capable manner, I have little confidence in their ability to handle a crisis of this magnitude.

The role of social media in spreading disinformation and the general public's overall stupidity and inability to analyze information will also contribute to the public's approach to this problem. We have all looked at various events or situations that could be considered SHTF, and to me this situation is clearly a precursor to SHTF. When you are starting to see the general public being restricted from assembling, food or supply shortages, conflicting information by both media and private sources, further propagated by trolls.

At what level does the deviations from your normal routine and activite's constitute a SHTF event ?

I am not posting this to troll or incite, but this is the closest this country has come to a potential disruption of normal activities ?

WARNING : There is now a map of the Covid - 19 outbreaks / locations that is circulating as an e mail with links, with rather official looking John Hopkins University letterhead. Do not open and delete this as it contains a trojan horse virus. This came from my son who got the warning from his employer, a emergency services public agency.
When the looting begins.

My wife is out of TP and the TP shelves were bare at Walmart yesterday. I've heard there is some at BiMart. If my back stops hurting long enough for me to leave the house, I'm going after some. If it's gone too... definitely the SHTF!!! ;)
If you can't find TP, use the bandsaw to cut down the brawny rolls:)

Everyone defines it differently.

For me, SHTF = when the rule of law fails, the masses descend into anarchy, morality takes a back seat to individual wants, and violent confrontation moves from an unlikely probability to a distinct one. Like Black Friday at Walmart.

Well, maybe over a little larger area. The current pandemic will not reach that level until maybe imposed quarantines with curfews, checkpoints, and armed troops.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top