JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why on gods green earth would anyone want to go to that sh!t hole to begin with.
Well it appears one reason would be to participate in certain religious practices illegal in the U.S.
I'm thinking if you choose to live outside the U.S. and put yourself in danger because of your religious beliefs this may have an influence on the way the situation might be handled.

Last Edited:
A slight side step for the old dog Oregonians here. In the late 70s a cult took over an area in southern Oregon. They got so big in short order they elected themselves into local office legally then ran the locals out of town. Finally they started to kill or attempted to kill their own leaders. That's when the feds got involved.

That's not an A Team episode. It really happened. Using my phone so no links to share. Just remembered. Also shows uncheched what could happen to a border town in a sanctuary state. As I recall, it only took a few years for them to take over.

Update: It was the early 80's in central Oregon.

Last Edited:
A slight side step for the old dog Oregonians here. In the late 70s a cult took over an area in southern Oregon.
If you are referring to Raghneeshpuram this took place in Central Oregon in the town of Antelope in Wasco County.
I was very much aware of all of it at the time as I was living in Bend and hearn the news daily about it.
A big difference is that they did not have to fight with organized, local drug cartels and essentially overran the locals with 'strongarm' tactics with eventual plans on controlling the entire county.

Last Edited:
A slight side step for the old dog Oregonians here. In the late 70s a cult took over an area in southern Oregon. They got so big in short order they elected themselves into local office legally then ran the locals out of town. Finally they started to kill or attempted to kill their own leaders. That's when the feds got involved.

That's not an A Team episode. It really happened. Using my phone so no links to share. Just remembered. Also shows uncheched what could happen to a border town in a sanctuary state. As I recall, it only took a few years for them to take over.

I remember. They were armed up . IT can happen again .If our leaders are not willing to put things in check it can a big problem. The leaders in Oregon today and antifa would probably protect them

Funny - this thread. Not the content, but the notice of a few missing commenters...
I kind of raised this subject previously - but in a different way about, "Why I need an AR."
Got more than a couple folks suggesting there was nothing to be scared of - "just pieced together footage" - and the best - "read more - post less" and that I was some way fanning flames by bringing attention to the fact that an AR (or any other rifle) was an excellent answer to this type of situation.

TYS.

I was reminded of this by a coworker who grew up in Bend. I was a kid in LA and vaguely remembered it happened.

My uncle and aunt were stopped in the road block on the way to fossel .By them . they had UZI.s , Uncle was a WW2 combat vet. Did not seem to shake him much . but my aunt is still freaked out if its brought up.

Last Edited:
I learned several years later (after becoming an AGR for the OR National Guard) there were 'contingincies' in place to deal with Rajneeshpuram had it continued on it's course but it mostly imploded from within.

Thats a little disingenuous... would you say it's dangerous to travel in the USA because 50 something people get shot every weekend in Chicago?

Of course border towns are dangerous, and I highly doubt anyone is insisting that border towns are either a vacation destination or safe.
So now it comes out, we can compare Chicago to the gang infested area of northern Mexico where they also have strict gun control.
I never thought of it that way, but your are right.

bringing attention to the fact that an AR (or any other rifle) was an excellent answer to this type of situation.
This 'type' of situation being the masscre in Mexico?
If so it's hardly an argument for the 'why you need an AR' question - to paraphrase a post on your original thread:
So a video showing cartel violence in another country is why you need an AR?
I wouldn't hang my hat on that argument.
This is a situation that is complicated by the fact these people made a choice to live there, knowing the dangers and the reality being they cannot legally own firearms and are taking a risk by possessing them.
They do not have a '2A' to protect their rights and must become criminals themselves because of their beliefs and choices.

Update: It was the early 80's in central Oregon.

It was actually Rajneeshpuram... near Wasco. Ma Rajneesh sent her disciples out to poison salad bars in The Dalles, etc. Good times!!

Last Edited:
We call it Antelope, which is what it was before the invasion. It was weird watching the documentary, because I work on the same block as the County Courthouse. I recognized some of the people interviewed and featured in the documentary. Hell, I even know a few of the people that were poisoned.

Ma Rasneesh
Close.
Ma Anand Sheela (as she was known) would also have seminars in Bend and Redmond to work to 'draw' people to the community.
I remember at the time a friend of mine attended one just to learn more about it (and not as a potential recruit)
I remember him telling me while he basically considered the whole thing an act of lunacy he did say She (Sheela) was very 'convincing' and had a lot of 'power' over the people attending.

but some adult decisions were made to be there in the first place.
Yep - a good friend and I were discussing this earlier and he made a good point - 'Gambling their lives with their religion - obviously their religion is more important than life?'

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top