JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well lets see they have Russian, Syria , Pakistan and Iran backing the bad guys
and who you got >>> who supplying you arms ?? Walmart and Cabella's does count!
Maybe you can hold out a week longer I hear Bimart is having a 2 for one Ammo sale.

Fantasy : I have all the ammo I need to defend myself against the government !

Reality: The government saying they have all they need.

Lessons over !

First, I don't believe we are going to see a revolution or civil war, so this is all academic.

Second, no reflection on the men on the ground, but every war since Vietnam has handled poorly by the men in the drivers seat. Why do you think it would be any different on our soil?

Third, I don't have the reference, but polls among national guard units (and others) taken several years ago indicate that at least half would refuse to fire on other americans. Would they join the other side? I don't know.

It's not so simple. We are already at war, but it's about hearts and minds. If the bullets start flying, we have already lost.

Reality :

All bantering aside and heated responses from everyone aside, lets be serious here people.

You don't have to lay down and be a sheep, but there is a word for taking arms up against the government. Be clear before you cross it.

If the government wants my guns and yours they can come take them and they will. Protesting and threats and even a few clips will not stop them. It seems like some are living without reality. Think about what the US military can do in a few weeks around the world now park them outside your door. NO CONTEST!!!!!

Just how many of our military do you suppose would be on the governments side?
You should just walk away from this thread now. You have many great answers and more than a few accurate and and well deserved insults. But for a real patriot, the only answer you need is because my constitution says so.
Nobody needs to defend their position beyond that.
If you are fine with the infringements on our constitutional rights, any of them, then I have no use for you. I'm probably not alone on that account.
Do take your explanations and do with them what you will. The founding Fathers would not be impressed.

Reality :

All bantering aside and heated responses from everyone aside, lets be serious here people.

You don't have to lay down and be a sheep, but there is a word for taking arms up against the government. Be clear before you cross it.

If the government wants my guns and yours they can come take them and they will. Protesting and threats and even a few clips will not stop them. It seems like some are living without reality. Think about what the US military can do in a few weeks around the world now park them outside your door. NO CONTEST!!!!!

You should just walk away from this thread now. You have many great answers and more than a few accurate and and well deserved insults. But for a real patriot, the only answer you need is because my constitution says so.
Nobody needs to defend their position beyond that.
If you are fine with the infringements on our constitutional rights, any of them, then I have no use for you. I'm probably not alone on that account.
Do take your explanations and do with them what you will. The founding Fathers would not be impressed.

Interesting thread. I started reading this thread just before I left the office; I listened to NPR a bit on the way home where I heard a Senator from New York discussing upcoming pushes on gun control. She stated, "we are not talking about taking away your hunting rifle...". Great. Thank you, but that is not the point. The 2A has *nothing* to do, at all, with hunting or sporting activities, though clearly AR's make fine sporting weapons. The point of the 2A is clear and simple: ensure the right of the average citizen to keep arms suitable for defending against a tyrannical gov't and their military. In discussing and debating this topic with friends, relative, colleagues I hope we all keep in mind we have no need to try and 'excuse' our gun ownership by explaining just how sporting an AR can be. In fact, the 2A ensures our right to own full auto weapons, bazookas, tanks...

Cheers,
DJM

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me (edit: as long as they are not against the constitution), according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Hope that answers any concerns of people thinking we are brain washed automatons.

You have it, sir. (djm68) The real question is who is sane enough to possess such awesome firepower?

The Founders clearly stated that "peaceable citizens" had the full right to Keep and Bear Arms. In a sane nation this would be a solid basis for consideration

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me (edit: as long as they are not against the constitution), according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Hope that answers any concerns of people thinking we are brain washed automatons.

We are surrounded by domestic enemies. I will now quote Sean Connery in "The Untouchables"

What are you prepared to do?

You have it, sir. (djm68) The real question is who is sane enough to possess such awesome firepower?

The Founders clearly stated that "peaceable citizens" had the full right to Keep and Bear Arms. In a sane nation this would be a solid basis for consideration

Hey Blitzkreig,

Yes, who is sane enough to own such firepower? That is a troublesome question, unfortunately. Back ground checks only go so far -- in the recent shootings, the guns were initially acquired legally, until stolen by the perpetrators -- a friend in one instance, the son on the other. Seemingly, if one can pass a background check you qualify as 'peaceable', yes? However, are we a sane nation? Sadly, I'd have to say, no.

My wife and I have discussed the topic at length, which always proves especially interesting as my wife is a German citizen and, of course, grew up in a country with very strict gun laws. Her take on the recent massacres, is essentially, the break down of the family unit is the real core of the illness on our society. I am inclined to agree.

Cheers,
DJM

I believe stricter controls on storage, especially as we speak of higher technology, are OK. We need to address responsibility as owners and users of these tools. BTW my lady is largely German, blonde, highly intelligent and beautiful, and we send our regards to you and your lady

Reality :

I'm pretty sure our Founding Fathers were told the same thing...I for one am glad they had the courage to proceed despite the nay sayers.....

I can't put my finger on it right now but there is a WWII quote from the Japanese stating that they could not invade the US main land because there would be a rifle beind every bush...with so many of our troops in the Middle East the day may come when civilian arms at home once again weigh heavily with a foreign foe.

Thanks ORhunter.
You said it much better than I.

As the shootings have brought to light the assault weapon a gun of choice I was curious outside of the obvious 2nd amendment, why Assault Weapons and What are they good for?

Full Auto's are already banned and anyone ever see a semi auto- with Nato-223 spraying out of a 30 round clip will tell you they are destructive. I live my gun and if a gun lover was a thing I am he, I truly love the pure raw power they have and beauty all the same. I have many weapons and not one assault weapon never have and never will.
I personally for me see no use for them.

Which brings me to the forum question, out of the second amendment right to have arms
Why and what purpose do you see for them or think others should have them. I am not asking to rehash the second
this is a strictly ownership and why even get one ?

Just wondered, it can be a hot topic please try and keep a cool head and think about the question it is a serious one to ask as I can not see a good reason for one,( but thats just me) after all they banned full autos because of their destructive nature. What would one argue to keep assault weapons??

Full autos are distructive and banned? Don't think so...they may be restricted in WA, but not banned...If you owned on pre 1986, you can still own one, and the cops, well they give them to the cops. In Oregon, pay your $200 tax and play all you want.

Part two of full auto comment: when was the last time you heard of a full auto used in a crime...Oh yes, that cop that shot his cop wife with his issued M4.

As to what weapons should a private citizen be allowed to own? Anything the US Government owns.

I heard a saying after a tragic incident years ago on Mt Hood, I was fairly young but it stuck with me, "expect the best but prepare for the worst". So why do we buy life insurance, car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance etc etc. I don't want to think
things will ever go bad, but I also refuse to allow myself or my familiy to become victims of an out of control situation. So if adding an AR to my collection of "insurances" so be it. The 2nd ammendment allows me that right, and when that right is threatened, I have to ask why, am I not the best judge as the father and husband in my household in a situation that requires seconds to react, which tool I choose to protect what I've spent my life living for.

Why get a Corvette? That Ford Fiesta will get you where you need to go. Couldn't resist.

Short version of what everybody else already said: 2A; Personal/home defense; sport/recreation/leisure. Personal preference to satisfy any or all 3 of those reasons.

I'm pretty sure our Founding Fathers were told the same thing...I for one am glad they had the courage to proceed despite the nay sayers.....

I can't put my finger on it right now but there is a WWII quote from the Japanese stating that they could not invade the US main land because there would be a rifle beind every bush...with so many of our troops in the Middle East the day may come when civilian arms at home once again weigh heavily with a foreign foe.

The Brits were in utter contempt of the Colonists.. until April 19th, 1775

Bunker Hill was a further humbling lesson. The Colonists only finally withdrew because they ran out of powder

Reality :

The military is its own entity, yes it is under the command of the President, but upset enough high ranking officers and the fact that the military is made up of young people like us. Could happen if the president wants to use them that they simply don't collect guns form citizens. far fetched, yes, but soldiers are US citizens too, and most of them do not want to be policing us for the wishes of a government that is infringing on our rights.
Through out history leaders have fallen because of the fact they did not have the backing of the military. So i would not jump to the conclusion that if the military is told to come and take our guns, that it would happen. They are sworn to follow the commander of the Commander-and-Chief, but they are also sworn to up hold the Constitution.

Really? A FUDD comes here and asks "why own a type of firearm but I know all about the second amendment so don't point to that"??? WTF? First off, the second amendment isn't about hunting.

"A well regulated Militia (government), being necessary to the security of a free state (government militia fighting invaders to keep us free), the right of the people (not the government, the PEOPLE) to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" Which means because the government has Arms, the people have the right have Arms. It follows that the people should have the same type of Arms.... your so called "assault weapons"

Does that make it clear??? The second amendment isn't about hunting!!!

I heard a saying after a tragic incident years ago on Mt Hood, I was fairly young but it stuck with me, "expect the best but prepare for the worst". So why do we buy life insurance, car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance etc etc. I don't want to think
things will ever go bad, but I also refuse to allow myself or my familiy to become victims of an out of control situation. So if adding an AR to my collection of "insurances" so be it. The 2nd ammendment allows me that right, and when that right is threatened, I have to ask why, am I not the best judge as the father and husband in my household in a situation that requires seconds to react, which tool I choose to protect what I've spent my life living for.

My personal favorite is the fire-extinguisher...do you have one in your kitchen? Is it loaded? why?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top