JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the shootings have brought to light the assault weapon a gun of choice I was curious outside of the obvious 2nd amendment, why Assault Weapons and What are they good for?

Full Auto's are already banned and anyone ever see a semi auto- with Nato-223 spraying out of a 30 round clip will tell you they are destructive. I live my gun and if a gun lover was a thing I am he, I truly love the pure raw power they have and beauty all the same. I have many weapons and not one assault weapon never have and never will.
I personally for me see no use for them.

Which brings me to the forum question, out of the second amendment right to have arms
Why and what purpose do you see for them or think others should have them. I am not asking to rehash the second
this is a strictly ownership and why even get one ?

Just wondered, it can be a hot topic please try and keep a cool head and think about the question it is a serious one to ask as I can not see a good reason for one,( but thats just me) after all they banned full autos because of their destructive nature. What would one argue to keep assault weapons??

Zombie Apocalypse......duh.

In all seriousness IMHO opinion I see it as a simple infringement on my rights and a little given here, a little there and next thing you know.....

It's unfortunate that our mentally ill dictate policy for millions of law-abiding gun owners.

An assault weapon could be a toaster. It's the intent with which you use an object which defines it, not the outward appearance. They sell, and I own several, 5 round mags for, coyote/vermin hunting. Here pretty soon I will buy a 6.5 or 6.8 upper for mine, so I can deer hunt with it this coming year.

Nice troll BTW.
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

First off, full auto is not necessarily illegal - if produced and added to the NFA registry prior to May of 1986 they are transferable, though with the cap on new production for public consumption the prices have gone through the roof and continue to go up. Secondly, if you are going to use the term "Assault weapon" are you referring to select fire weapons (our military definition), or perhaps you are referring specifically to those weapons that have been used to assault someone? If a weapon is responsible for a raving madman's crimes then perhaps we should lock up those weapons, the specific one by serial number, that are used in violent crimes - after all if its the guns fault and not the person behind it why should we waste jail space - just lock up the item.

The "assault" weapon we're talking about is usually chambered in a relatively small caliber - one used in rural areas extensively for varmint hunting and elimination.

Are you for the banning of the mini 14? Same caliber with hi cap mags. Or are you typical in that you're against those bad black rifles?

Each of us prefers one look to a weapon - that look should not, imho, be the determining factor as to wether or not it "should" be banned.

To answer the OP's question I have deer hunted with one, use them for varmint hunting and as a personal defense resource. I would suggest that you become more aware of the laws and terms before asking such questions though. First fully auto assault rifles are not "illegal" they are regulated. Second the term "clip" refers to something associated with an M1 Garand, I assume you meant magazine.

The number one reason for having one is simply "I can" and for the very reason the Second Ammendment was written for.

As the shootings have brought to light the assault weapon a gun of choice I was curious outside of the obvious 2nd amendment, why Assault Weapons and What are they good for?
I do not see assault weapon as any definition by the ATF so I am going to have to assume that you mean any item used to assault someone. ANY thing can be used to assault something. Cars can be used for driving, Bats for games, rocks for all kinds of uses, and all can be used as weapons to assault someone.

Full Auto's are already banned
They are? This is news to me. Better check your laws.
and anyone ever see a semi auto- with Nato-223 spraying out of a 30 round clip will tell you they are destructive.
I have NEVER seen and AR fired from a clip. On top of that "spaying" is the least effective way to shoot a gun so I hope idiots keep shooting like this and never get proper training.
I live my gun and if a gun lover was a thing I am he, I truly love the pure raw power they have and beauty all the same. I have many weapons and not one assault weapon never have and never will.
IF you own ANYTHING, a car, a gun, a TV, a rock, a butter knife you HAVE an assault weapon so you do own many. Assault is an action, weapon is the way an item is used.

Which brings me to the forum question, out of the second amendment right to have arms
Why and what purpose do you see for them or think others should have them. I am not asking to rehash the second

Just wondered, it can be a hot topic please try and keep a cool head and think about the question it is a serious one to ask as I can not see a good reason for one,( but thats just me) after all they banned full autos because of their destructive nature. What would one argue to keep assault weapons??
Really? Please provide some fact for this.

You REALLY need to check your FACTS on a lot of stuff. You come armed with ignorance and emotion which makes it impossible to have a logical debate.

What happens if I think any bolt action scoped rifle with "high power" rounds are only used to kill people at a distance? What happens if I think shotguns are way to dangerous because they can "spray" lots of high power pellets really fast and you dont even have to aim with them? What if on top of that I think all handguns should be ban because they are too easy to conceal? There is NO such thing as this one is ok, but this one is not.

What makes you right and others wrong?

The problem is you can not legislate the underlying problems away. Look at the rate of violent crime in area with strict gun control. Does that solve the problem? No it does not.

Thank you Swedish K
First off, full auto is not necessarily illegal -

Ok so are you talking about the AR platform,the AK,the G3,the FAL?

Which one do you see as an "assault rifle" ? or are you talking the select fire rifles?

So just to humor you and the hunters and plinkers that don't buy handguns or anything other than shotguns and hunting rifles,
I have mine to go shooting,make big noise,bring smiles to friends and family,to hunt coyotes and other small game with.........

And to defend myself and others should the need arise.Even though the AR isn't my first choice or my only choice,it would do well in this roll.
If you can,a rifle cartridge is a better choice for self defense than a handgun caliber,with the penetration aspects aside of course.
These type guns are designed for quick handling ,which you may need if multiple assailants are at your door.
I'm not afraid of saying that's what my guns are for. Bad guys don't always come one at a time

So,shootfirst,why do you have any of your guns?
For the same reasons I bet

Full Auto's are already banned and anyone ever see a semi auto- with Nato-223 spraying out of a 30 round clip will tell you they are destructive. I live my gun and if a gun lover was a thing I am he, I truly love the pure raw power they have and beauty all the same. I have many weapons and not one assault weapon never have and never will.

I think the firearm thing is not unlike any other "hobby" in that it is up to the individual's taste. I have a 1930 Ford model A which is a mild hot rod, there are are restoration purists that shake their head and ask why you would screw up an original car while some hot rodders will say that I need to ditch the fenders etc. I have what I have and do what I do because it is what I appreciate. Firearms are relatively new to me but I have several friends that have eclectic collections ranging from antiques to "assault" rifles and I have found likes and dislikes in all areas of their collections. I am thankful that we live in a country where we have been afforded the right to make the decisions and it is sad that thaose rights are threatened by the actions of a few disturbed people.

An assault weapon could be a toaster. It's the intent with which you use an object which defines it, not the outward appearance. They sell, and I own several, 5 round mags for, coyote/vermin hunting. Here pretty soon I will buy a 6.5 or 6.8 upper for mine, so I can deer hunt with it this coming year.

Nice troll BTW.
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

?????? Nice Troll ???????

Thank you Swedish K

So,shootfirst,why do you have any of your guns?
For the same reasons I bet

Oh yes exactly same reason why I have mine. I posted this question because very hard if I do not own one to share why I would have one. I think the distinction perhaps even society has made on them makes me ask why.
As I said in the question not challenging the 2nd right to own it, just wondered why and I am getting answers and it helps greatly to understand it.

Sorry man not gonna get in a debate over this, I never said it was wrong to own one and anyone jumping to a conclusion won't get a response.
I will however specify, to own a full auto requires a special permit and is banned from normal use.

Just seems like you were ready to explode on someone and not realizing I was not attacking or saying one should NOT own one.
I was asking why.

If you are a assault owners It would be advised to be able to answer questions, and agression is exactly what a liberal is looking for and excuse to show how aggressive owners are.....

Some people like peanut butter and boloney, I just wondered why ?
( ps I like fried boloney )

All these discussions are really getting annoying. One psycho does a terrible terrible thing and suddenly everyone who owns a firearm is also a criminal and don't need to own such firearms?

Let's get one thing straight, if someone wants to kill someone/cause a massacre, a firearm is not the only way to do it. A freakin hatchet or kitchen knife (sorry, ASSAULT hatchet) could have been used just as effectively, middle age women and children aren't exactly the top of the food chain.

Why do I like my rifles? Because they're cool! I enjoy looking at, shooting and even cleaning them. It makes me happy to know I own such a cool tool. I NEVER want to have to use it for the purpose it was made for (defense) I enjoy it is a recreational hobby.

It really disgusts me to see American citizens questioning their constitutional rights. I am a naturalized citizen of this great country and I couldn't be more proud.

How competent the founding fathers of this country were, they did not write the 2nd amendment to give citizens the right to hunt, etc. No. It is for them to be able to defend themselves?

Do you realize that because of these great laws there will NEVER and I mean EVER be a war brought to United States homeland? Never mind the fact we have the greatest and bravest military (I'm a freakin Commie Russian immigrant and I'll admit this =P.... joking always hated communism, although I am Russian), but the enemy would be so outdone simply by private citizens fighting back.

Cigarettes, what are the good for? They kill a lot more people than guns. Not protected by the constitution. Cant use them to defend yourself against a home invasion or for hunting or a tyrannical government. You can die from second hand smoke too so you can be unwillingly murdered by someone with them (just the very slow kind of murder like cancer).

hi guys, I know I'm new here but from what I can gather from "the media" is that an assualt weapon" seems to be more so any firearm that is capable of rapid fire and can carry more then 10 rounds. so I guess my 10/22 or mini 14 are "Assualt weapons" and so is my Glock 22?

I think it hard to imagine a .22 cal being an assualt round but yet it falls into there little box they have made to brand all.

just my $.02 worth

ShootFirst posted this:
"I will however specify, to own a full auto requires a special permit and is banned from normal use".

Please clarify what "normal use" means when discussing select fire "full auto" firearms.
Also, what process does one take to acquire one in a state that allows them, say Oregon.

REALLY? Please check your facts before posting. Full autos are legal in most states. You say that you are just asking why own one? Okay, here you go..I own my AR-15 because it is a weapon that I can convert between 5.56mm and 9mm in about one minute, it is accurate and fun to shoot, I can add accessories such as lights for night time home defense, like the Ruger 10/22 there are a thousand ways I can modify the weapon to suit my needs, and military style weapons have ALWAYS been available to civilans and as soon as we are denied that right we will loose other rights. Look into history, the 2nd ammendment is there for a reason and nations who didn't have such a right have in the past suffered greatly for the lack of it. Yes we can't overlook the fact that lunitics have used these weapons in their evil acts but an AR-15 is a tool and is not by its self evil. Hope that helps answer your question.

Sorry man not gonna get in a debate over this, I never said it was wrong to own one and anyone jumping to a conclusion won't get a response.
I will however specify, to own a full auto requires a special permit and is banned from normal use.

Just seems like you were ready to explode on someone and not realizing I was not attacking or saying one should NOT own one.
I was asking why.

If you are a assault owners It would be advised to be able to answer questions, and agression is exactly what a liberal is looking for and excuse to show how aggressive owners are.....

Some people like peanut butter and boloney, I just wondered why ?
( ps I like fried boloney )

You asked questions which lead to a debate but you are not going to debate it. I dont understand.

I posted facts and questions. I am sorry that gets in the way of your emotions and ignorance.

Now if you are wondering why people own firearms like AR-15's the best way is to go try some. Best and easiest answer is for hunting. My target AR will run circles around any of my other guns all day long and it is just plain fun to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews