JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got bored and finally broke down and died a couple of Sand Pmags. I've wanted to do this for a while, finally broke down and did up a couple.

I'm going to try an American flag next. The camo pattern turned out well. May even try a couple more like those but also leave in some of the sand for a tricolor look.

The blue one is to be a fail safe for my can cannon. Blanks only.

image.jpg

A buddy of mine did one in bright yellow and put a Dole banana sticker on it looked cool.

Those look great. Looks like a lot of tape cutting or did you find a sticky pattern?

Can you share your procedure or is it top secret? :D
Nothing to it. Pick your dye, add boiling water, add mag.

For two tone. I used hot glue to prevent the dye from taking in spots I didn't want it. Hard part is pealing it off afterwards. Rubbing alcohol helps get the stuff off. Then dip again in the second color. Darkest colors should be applied 1st. Followed by lighter colors.

You could in theory hot glue over a already dyed portion to prevent color mix. This is what I plan on trying with the American flag. As I figure the Blue and Red would just turn purple.

For the camo, I used brown 1st, then removed the glue and redipped in dark green.

Nothing to it. Pick your dye, add boiling water, add mag.

For two tone. I used hot glue to prevent the dye from taking in spots I didn't want it. Hard part is pealing it off afterwards. Rubbing alcohol helps get the stuff off. Then dip again in the second color. Darkest colors should be applied 1st. Followed by lighter colors.

You could in theory hot glue over a already dyed portion to prevent color mix. This is what I plan on trying with the American flag. As I figure the Blue and Red would just turn purple.

For the camo, I used brown 1st, then removed the glue and redipped in dark green.
So are you using Rit Dye or something else? I've used Rit for a red tint on an wooden AK stock but not plastic.

Are you disassembling the mags before you dye them?

Also thinking out loud and wondering if you could you mask off areas with plasti-dip and have it hold up for the dye process? It does peel off easy when you want it too.

Conceivably I could cammo-dye the mags to resemble normal household objects. A Morton salt can, a bottle of WD-40, they would all be a little crooked. Maybe a modern art wall hanging that would actually be pmags.

If this works on glock mags my wife's flowers on her birthday may now be loaded mags! True love right there.

-Dean

I think this is a cool DIY idea and better than spending 20 bucks on magazine wraps, I'd like to see how the American flag works out...
http://shop.tacticalbubblegum.com/swag/wraps/mag-wraps

For all of you FDE lovers out there like me

Recipie using RIT dye:
6 tsp tan
1 tsp pearl grey
1 tsp dark brown
1 qt water

Heat to 175 deg and dye for 2 minutes

I can't for the life of me understand why MagPul didn't already come up with this and the other popular colors in some sort of guide.

Last Edited:
I remember there was a few guys on ODT and AL trying to sell red and blue mags for 4x's what the mag was worth and they were just dyed mags haha.

I still need to try this, just for fun.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top