JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now...
Arming and helping out neighbors and folks that you trust or if the situation is bad enough , folks who have a similar "stake" in staying alive and helping you out in return...then that is a different matter.

That said...if word got out that you were the 'go-to guy" for guns , ammo , staying alive advise / help / gear...
You might just have more than a few folks that would want all of what you have....
Andy

Only problem with that is you better make sure that you can trust these people 100%!! There are few that I trust myself and loved ones with and or around if this situation were to arise.

I have an issue with the line: "And besides philosophically anti-gun liberals, many folks simply grow up in families where guns are not present and reach adulthood having never touched a firearm. But no matter why they don't own firearms, when the ultra-violence breaks out your neighbors down the street will deserve a way to defend themselves from criminal predation. "

They fail to prepare for this particularly the liberals who reviled gun owners, whose policies brought on the economic collapse deserve a way to defend themselves?
Do I therefore deserve that my neighbor give me fair compensation for arming him/her? How am I supposed to train him/her while the S is hitting the F? I have a feeling I'm going to be very busy with keeping that S off my own property and away from my family.
Then let's talk liability. Some camera hungry DA or lawyer will be saying I gave a gun to someone who was not well-trained and he shot someone or himself! I also am not fond of the idea of my own bullets flying back at me because the beginner I loaned the gun to forgot "Rule 4" (Know your target and what's beyond it)
Nope I'm happy to spread the gospel of gun -ownership and self-defense but if they refuse to follow when it's easy, when they have the time to find the right gun for themselves and train with it, I'm not willing to put myself or my family at risk to help them when it all turns to poop.

Absolutely all of my neighbors are the "inclusive" type, except maybe the one across the street who threatened to sick his dog on my indoor cat. They're absolutely on their own

Short answer, NOPE not a chance in Hell! Close Family are more armed then I am, so I don't have a worry there, and neighbors are mostly very old, so no way! At the Ranch, yes, my neighbors are good people ( though heavily armed themselves) and if they were in need, they know I got their backs!

Seems like the author of this idiotic idea believes it's the gun that does the shooting, and in an emergency, your unarmed neighbor can become your gun's useful idiot so it can save the day". o_O

My best neighbor that I trust in Gresham has bought two cheap fix em up houses in Eastern Oregon near John Day and has moved his two sons over there.
He's only hanging around because of his current health problems and if things go seriously south around here, he'll make fast tracks to the East.

Oh joy! ;)

As I am one of those that are often reviled ...
I would fine it ironic that my firearms and skills with them...along with certain other skills and traits that I have learned and earned...would suddenly be of value to those folks who revile them....

Now I am not saying that I am "all that and a bag of chips"...or some sort of Mad Max , or even a Super Duper Paratrooper...
But I do know a few things and have some skills , that might be of some use...:D
Andy

I definitely see issues with this concept. Why would anyone want to put a gun in the hands of someone they don't know very well, someone who may have never handled or fired a gun before? How can you be certain they won't, just due to lack of basic, fundamental skills, shoot you or someone else accidentally? Preparing for a potential firefight isn't the time to have to become a gun safety and marksmanship trainer.

As Andy stated, it is everyone's right and CHOICE to be armed, or not armed. If they choose not to be armed, not to be trained in at least the basics, I don't see that it's anyone else's responsibility to arm those who voluntarily choose not to exercise their rights to begin with.

That said, there are select people I would consider arming, though likely not neighbors. The only neighbors I would trust with a firearm, already have them. Plus, I don't have much to share. Per the 2nd amendment, I only own one musket, as per the militia requirement, so, nothing else to go around.

Besides, in Oregon, that would be an illegal transfer of a firearm, and I'm not going to violate the law for my neighbor :p

I'm pretty certain that if folks don't own a gun they probably voted For 1639 and 594. It might be worth reminding them of that if they are asking you for a gun.
I know, I know--Petty

But fun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews