JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"When the incidence of home invasions, carjackings and "express kidnappings" skyrockets, some of your neighbors will discover a sudden interest in acquiring firearms, just when firearms may not be available through normal channels. These unarmed neighbors may then ask if you have any extra firearms to lend to them.
Which one of your carefully considered collection of guns will you hand over to arm your defenseless neighbor? Your high-end "concealed carry" pistol, which fits your hand like a glove? Your wife's? Your pump-action shotgun? Your AR-15 Sport Utility Rifle? The fact is, you will be loath to give away any of them, not even to a neighbor in need. You have acquired each of them for a carefully thought-out reason! But your neighbor is still defenseless.
That is why I encourage you to buy a few extra firearms in anticipation of this future need."

Um...
I like my neighbors...but to be honest , there are few people that I trust with my guns.
And to be blunt...why , should I arm my neighbor...?
I don't really "buy" Bracken's thoughts on "Why".

To be armed is a choice...and it , like many choices is best made when you want to , as opposed to when you need to.
Andy

Her name was "CRAZY Kathie" and we lived next door for too many years. I NEVER considered arming that woman. She spent 5 years in Purdy, NO Good tit, NO early out, NOTHING!!!

She Stabbed her Husband 17 Times and when asked about him by the Judge, she stated - after swearing, on a Bible, to tell the Truth - she didn't have a Husband! Which I guess after you stab him 17 times, he just might skip out of your memory!

Because of my neighbors is why I have firearms. The last thing I would do is arm them, just so they could use them against me.

I have a few neighbors I would help out if the SHTF.
and have a few that I know are already armed.
As for the other ones.
They should have been preparing for it.
Not spending there money on rainbow flags and anti Trump signs in there yard.LOL

Before the boating accident, I kept redundant firearms because I've always liked having a reserve, whatever that may be.

If SHTF they can also be used by the folks who bunker down here.
But the folks who'll be coming will be younger, better trained and better armed than me.

I'm old, not stupid. ;)

Um.........No!!! When a population needs instructions that hot coffee can burn you or instructions saying "Don't eat the dehydration packet" in the bottom of your package of Jerky I won't be supplying anything. :D

Whatever happened to that effort to provide shotguns to poor folk, I think it was in Texas??? Weren't too popular, especially with the antis!!!

Some other things to think about here when arming your neighbor are :

Will they actually be willing to use it , if need be...?
Do they understand just how to use or how be safe with a firearm...?
As pointed out by jbett98---Who is to say that they won't use your gun , that you gave them , on you...?
If I did give a gun to a neighbor...now how is he to get more ammo..., again by "borrowing" from me...?

With all that said...
I do like to help others...and do so.
But...if the situation got bad enough that a neighbor needed one of my guns ...then I am looking out for my own , and those who I trust.
Andy

Whatever happened to that effort to provide shotguns to poor folk, I think it was in Texas??? Weren't too popular, especially with the antis!!!
Didn't work out so well in Vietnam when the US provided shotguns as part of the Strategic Hamlet Program either...
Granted that is a extreme example in a extreme situation...but does show what might happen , when arming your neighbors.
Andy

My best neighbor that I trust in Gresham has bought two cheap fix em up houses in Eastern Oregon near John Day and has moved his two sons over there.
He's only hanging around because of his current health problems and if things go seriously south around here, he'll make fast tracks to the East.

I have my doubts about some of my neighbors and sharp objects, much less a gun.

Even if they DO know how to shoot (how would I know this if they have no gun?), what would make one think that they are all trained up and current, or reasonably safe, or just flat out won't shoot me in the back, accidental or otherwise. With my own gun.

HARD pass, but thanks for the visual. I got a chuckle out of it.;)

Didn't work out so well in Vietnam when the US provided shotguns as part of the Strategic Hamlet Program either...
Granted that is a extreme example in a extreme situation...but does show what might happen , when arming your neighbors.
Andy
Yep, Andy, you've got that right. Some Day, when we're Face to Face, I'll tell you about my PTSD and a Barber, over there.

We have a nice family of LDS neighbors next door and I asked the husband what might happen if there is an EMP or other disaster that has people out foraging/looting for food and he said, "It will never come to that".

I told him that if people know he is LDS and is sitting on a year or two of provisions he is going to be a prime target.

Anyways, I would lend him my single shot sawed off shotgun and buckshot if he suddenly wanted it just because I want some extra firepower in our semi rural neighborhood if things got ugly.

Now...
Arming and helping out neighbors and folks that you trust or if the situation is bad enough , folks who have a similar "stake" in staying alive and helping you out in return...then that is a different matter.

That said...if word got out that you were the 'go-to guy" for guns , ammo , staying alive advise / help / gear...
You might just have more than a few folks that would want all of what you have....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads