JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
The economy is good, everybody has money, but either everyone is a tight wad, or out of touch with gun prices lately. I'm on several other smaller forums and have noticed the want ads are full of people with unrealistic expectations, ie Cooper rifle for $800 max, Sweet Sixteen for $500, etc. Conversely, sell ads asking top dollar for butchered beaters. Taking a Dremel and hot nail to a Glock doesn't mean it's worth $100 over new. You'll always see this from time to time, but it seems to be the norm now. What gives?

I thought it odd too. Was recently looking here and at other forums classified and was quite surpised. I can buy a new glock at my LGS for the same or in some cases less than the used ones online. I have seen some great deals though and know they exist, but I would agree that people are out of touch with gun values.

One can ask whatever price one wants for their item....Someone will buy it , eventually.

When selling or trading a firearm I have noticed :

That many gun guys want to "buy cheap , but sell dear"...

What a gun sells for in one part of the country , may be vastly different , in a another part of the country...

There is book value , internet value , what the seller value's the gun at , and what the gun actually sells for...

Many gun guys are fickle and gun "values" can go up or down in heartbeat...

Whenever I go to sell or trade a gun....The market seems to be saturated with guns of those types...Or its no longer a gun "du jour"...

What I am selling / trading is a POS ( according to the prospective buyer ) , but what he is selling is the best thing since sliced bread and rare to boot...

If I like the price or trade , I'll buy or trade...If not , I may make a offer , if its accepted , then great , if not , I'll move on.

Andy

The economy is good, everybody has money, but either everyone is a tight wad, or out of touch with gun prices lately. I'm on several other smaller forums and have noticed the want ads are full of people with unrealistic expectations, ie Cooper rifle for $800 max, Sweet Sixteen for $500, etc. Conversely, sell ads asking top dollar for butchered beaters. Taking a Dremel and hot nail to a Glock doesn't mean it's worth $100 over new. You'll always see this from time to time, but it seems to be the norm now. What gives?
I agree. Me thinks they have heard "buy low sell high" too many times.

It does not bother me if someone is asking too much for an item. They may be in over there heads in what they purchased it for. But what does bother me is if I low ball them and they are offended. If they offer something for sale at a reasonable/fair-market price and I low ball them I'll take the heat for it, but not when they are asking the moon. It is harder on line than face to face to haggle, so there is that!

One can ask whatever price one wants for their item....Someone will buy it , eventually.

When selling or trading a firearm I have noticed :

That many gun guys want to "buy cheap , but sell dear"...

What a gun sells for in one part of the country , may be vastly different , in a another part of the country...

There is book value , internet value , what the seller value's the gun at , and what the gun actually sells for...

Many gun guys are fickle and gun "values" can go up or down in heartbeat...

Whenever I go to sell or trade a gun....The market seems to be saturated with guns of those types...Or its no longer a gun "du jour"...

What I am selling / trading is a POS ( according to the prospective buyer ) , but what he is selling is the best thing since sliced bread and rare to boot...

If I like the price or trade , I'll buy or trade...If not , I may make a offer , if its accepted , then great , if not , I'll move on.

Andy
I will add that prior to SB941 some individuals may have been willing to pay a premium for a firearm to avoid the transfer process.

I will add that prior to SB941 some individuals may have been willing to pay a premium for a firearm to avoid the transfer process.

I have no doubt that many gun deals go down without going through the legal transfer process...with or without a premium price.

That said...
BGC's for all private sales , seem to me to , do little to nothing in regards to keeping anyone safe or keep a measurable amount of firearms out of the hands of prohibited persons ...but I do think that they create another criminal ...the fella that is non-compliant in these matters.
I find the BGC for private sales a "solution in search of a problem."

In my experience many gun guys , just go about selling to their friends , as they always have , obeying the law or not...
Andy

I have no doubt that many gun deals go down without going through the legal transfer process...with or without a premium price.

That said...
BGC's for all private sales , seem to me to , do little to nothing in regards to keeping anyone safe or keep a measurable amount of firearms out of the hands of prohibited persons ...but I do think that they create another criminal ...the fella that is non-compliant in these matters.
I find the BGC for private sales a "solution in search of a problem."

In my experience many gun guys , just go about selling to their friends , as they always have , obeying the law or not...
Andy
It was just one more nail in the coffin they are building to bury our rights in.

There are some ridiculous prices out there both low and high. I also think that the past panic buying phases are gone and many people are stocked up. If the current bills pass I expect a wave of panic buying and high prices. If I see an ad where the seller is trying to get all of their money back on a customized Glock I just ignore it. Doubtful they will get much more than new unmodified value but no problem with them trying.

I buy all my guns new.

Why?

Not interested in a used gun that may have problems anywhere from being dropped and damaged or simply not work.

I always buy new.

Is doing so a guarantee of problem free?

Nope, have an LC9S I bought new and had to send back to the factory, but every other gun I bought new worked...like new.

Plus, if someone put a lot of fancy add on's into a firearm and unrealistically expect to get what they paid for them when they decide to sell, good luck!

As pointed out, a seller can ask any amount and I can pass on it...easy peasy.

The psychologists tell us people are loss averse. We value the thing we are about to lose or lost more than the same thing we are about to gain or have gained. This means that we tend to value the identical gun more if we own it and contemplate selling than if we don't own it and contemplate buying.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads