JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I wonde if gun prices are also based on 'perceived' value?
An example would be say with 'modern sporting rifles' and hi-cap lightweight semi auto handguns.
My point being are guns in this category held to a higher value because of the longstanding notion 'better buy it now because...'? As opposed to say more 'traditional' guns?
Just a thought - hypothetical thinking while on my back on the couch home with the crud!!

I would say "Yes"...as it goes back to my comment in my first post in this thread...that many gun owners are a fickle lot and guns can be "In" , as in popular , at one moment and "out" at the next....
Andy

The economy is good, everybody has money, but either everyone is a tight wad, or out of touch with gun prices lately. I'm on several other smaller forums and have noticed the want ads are full of people with unrealistic expectations, ie Cooper rifle for $800 max, Sweet Sixteen for $500, etc. Conversely, sell ads asking top dollar for butchered beaters. Taking a Dremel and hot nail to a Glock doesn't mean it's worth $100 over new. You'll always see this from time to time, but it seems to be the norm now. What gives?

It normally means The seller is not really wanting to sell the gun. They are putting it up as a price that if offered they would part with it. If the market is flooded with something price will come down, if people want it. Price is a direct reflection of what buyers are willing to pay.

I will add that prior to SB941 some individuals may have been willing to pay a premium for a firearm to avoid the transfer process.

I used to see guns that were used for for Sticker price of new for just this reason. Many (like me) knew if I go to store I have to add the governors cut too. I never cared if it was NIB. As soon as I got my hands on it off to the range we would go. So if I could save a few buck buying in private party but the gun had some wear here and there it was fine with me. Several of the guns I currently have are only still in my possession because it's just too much trouble to sell them unless I want to really take a hit on price. So they sit in the safe.

Or it means people are scared of the upcoming laws and are dumping them. :oops:

In the months coming up to July , I think that we will see a run of both the buying and selling of AR15 and other Semi Auto Firearms....
Some buying while they can , to avoid any new requirements...
Some selling to take advantage of those wishing to buy before the new law takes effect...
Some selling to get rid of a "problem" firearm....
Andy

Another thing or two...I place value on the "bird in the hand" factor. Gee. I could get the gun elsewhere for a few dollars less, but right now they don't have the item in stock. So a premium price is a bigger savings to me to have the item right now, than to keep shopping for weeks or longer. But that's only my personal choice.
Cabela's is more expensive than most retail outlets. That sure doesn't stop them from selling more guns than BiMart. So it looks like others are willing to pay a premium for a gun that's actually in stock.

And I keep reading folks would rather buy new than to take a chance getting cheated by an unscrupulous seller. I would say if that's really a concern, you're shopping in the wrong market. I've bought, sold, traded, collected, and evaluated a lot of products over a lot of decades. That's what I do. I deal with many known collectors, and I would rather buy from them, trusting their description, than I would taking a chance buying a brand new mass produced firearm. I have returned more brand new firearms to the factory for repair than I have had problems with used guns. So I do not have a problem paying a little too much for an item that a trusted person describes accurately. But I also understand, many buyers do not have the luxury of knowing their buyers and sellers, personally.

Bottom line again, if it's too much, don't buy it.
Just a side note regarding cabelas pricing. They will match other stores pricing and I always use discount gift cards. I picked up a Brand new T/C Compass chambered in 6.5 CM for about $160 after rebate, free $25 gift card, price match, and using discount gift cards.

I wonder if some gun prices are also based on 'perceived' value?
An example would be say with 'modern sporting rifles' and hi-cap lightweight semi auto handguns.
My point being are guns in this category held to a higher value because of the longstanding notion 'better buy it now because...'? As opposed to say more 'traditional' guns?
Just a thought - hypothetical thinking while on my back on the couch home with the crud!!

I have no doubt at all a lot of people bought at the high end during the great panic. Then when the bottom fell out got stuck. Sure that some who used credit to grab guns now would like to unload some. May be asking what they paid during the panic, or slightly less. Problem is of course that price tanked on a lot of stuff. I don't own an AR any more and have several 1911's. Price on these dropped to the point I was having a real hard time not buying a couple more 1911's and at least one AR. They were selling at prices I had not seen in 20 years or more. You know a lot of people had some they paid 3 times the price for during the panic. Now they don't know what to do.

Well I have a 'one out for one in' policy (and I am currently 'upside down' by one with this!)
I have one listed for sale now to maintain my policy and with regard to asking price I think it's pretty dang good!

I have no doubt at all a lot of people bought at the high end during the great panic. Then when the bottom fell out got stuck. Sure that some who used credit to grab guns now would like to unload some. May be asking what they paid during the panic, or slightly less. Problem is of course that price tanked on a lot of stuff. I don't own an AR any more and have several 1911's. Price on these dropped to the point I was having a real hard time not buying a couple more 1911's and at least one AR. They were selling at prices I had not seen in 20 years or more. You know a lot of people had some they paid 3 times the price for during the panic. Now they don't know what to do.
I tell them... "You bought it for a reason , so put it away and start buying mags and ammo for it and remember what that reason was !"

Classifieds are actually pretty simple :

People being what they are will look at a sales ad and think...either
Wow ! , that's a deal...I'm getting it.
Or
Just what in the hell is that guy thinking , with that price...?

No real need to worry over much 'bout either....
Andy

Well I have a 'one out for one in' policy (and I am currently 'upside down' by one with this!)
I have one listed for sale now to maintain my policy and with regard to asking price I think it's pretty dang good!
Back when we could still buy and sell I often sold one to buy some new thing that caught my fancy. Of course that's out now. It has one advantage. I often sold something then years later wish I had not. At least now that will not happen :D

I paid a high price for my AR's.

Thing is I bought high end quality.

They're a little lower in cost now, but not much..

If say you bought a Bushmaster or DPMS or other low end AR's and now they're waaaaay cheaper, learn form this experience.

Buy quality to begin with...

I love the Classified Ad section on this forum... But sometimes I just have to laugh at some of the prices people want, especially for those "Reblued , Customized ,Poor condition, or Tacticool guns!"
Sorry, I'm a collector and I spend more for ORIGINAL guns , not someone else's brainchild !

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top