JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The psychologists tell us people are loss averse. We value the thing we are about to lose or lost more than the same thing we are about to gain or have gained. This means that we tend to value the identical gun more if we own it and contemplate selling than if we don't own it and contemplate buying.
That would all change in a NY minute if the grid goes down and nobody can use their plastic to buy stuff. If nobody can get cash either, then the value of everything changes. I predict that I would be picking up Sig legions for a roll of toilet paper (which I hoard for such occasions).

Sure lots of concern about other folks pricing of their wares, when very likely, the folks complaining aren't buyers, anyway. If an item is priced too high for the market you're in, then just pass it up and don't lose any sleep. Maybe the guy will figure it out for himself, and maybe he wont.

When I'm out and about in small towns, I try to visit the local gun shops. More often than not, their pricing is substantially higher than buying near a big city. Getting one gun delivered, shipping is gonna affect the final price more than if the same shop was buying 20 items at the same time. So his selling price has to reflect that. At the same time, paying a premium price to buy a gun in rural Eastern Oregon is still cheaper for the locals than driving to Portland to save 20 bucks on the same gun.

So...Not always knowing the motivation of how a gun is priced, it may not really be overpriced for some folks in some locations. Again, if it's too much in the market it's being sold in, just move on.:cool:

There are some ridiculous prices out there both low and high. I also think that the past panic buying phases are gone and many people are stocked up. If the current bills pass I expect a wave of panic buying and high prices. If I see an ad where the seller is trying to get all of their money back on a customized Glock I just ignore it. Doubtful they will get much more than new unmodified value but no problem with them trying.
That generally applies to customized anything though. Cars, motorcycles, etc. We customize these things because they make us happy and make sense to us. It doesn't mean that everybody else "gets" what/why we spent outrageous sums of money on upgrades. Thus eventual seller disappointment (reality). Just read the craigslist ads, "invested $40k, will sacrifice for $12k...".
Just human nature, cooked individuals vs uncooked individuals.

I buy all my guns new.

Why?

Not interested in a used gun that may have problems anywhere from being dropped and damaged or simply not work.

I always buy new.

Is doing so a guarantee of problem free?

Nope, have an LC9S I bought new and had to send back to the factory, but every other gun I bought new worked...like new.

Plus, if someone put a lot of fancy add on's into a firearm and unrealistically expect to get what they paid for them when they decide to sell, good luck!

As pointed out, a seller can ask any amount and I can pass on it...easy peasy.
I tend to agree and prefer new where the same gun is available new and is equal in quality to older versions. The used price is often only slightly below new, and as you said, who knows what the former owner did to it? And it's nice to have the warranty. But if I want a SW 629 Classic 6.5 inch revolver, which I do, by the way, I want used, because the older ones are better. And they don't have locks, which don't seem to hurt anything practically speaking, at least if you don't use them, but which irritate me philosophically. On the other hand, I may instead go for a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 inch. In which case I'll probably buy new.

Probably would be buyers if the price was reasonable.
Sure lots of concern about other folks pricing of their wares, when very likely, the folks complaining aren't buyers, anyway. If an item is priced too high for the market you're in, then just pass it up and don't lose any sleep. Maybe the guy will figure it out for himself, and maybe he wont.

When I'm out and about in small towns, I try to visit the local gun shops. More often than not, their pricing is substantially higher than buying near a big city. Getting one gun delivered, shipping is gonna affect the final price more than if the same shop was buying 20 items at the same time. So his selling price has to reflect that. At the same time, paying a premium price to buy a gun in rural Eastern Oregon is still cheaper for the locals than driving to Portland to save 20 bucks on the same gun.

So...Not always knowing the motivation of how a gun is priced, it may not really be overpriced for some folks in some locations. Again, if it's too much in the market it's being sold in, just move on.:cool:
Probably would be buyers if the price was reasonable. I think more out of touch than sellers are the WTB ads. I know I've run across several who wants 1500-2000 guns, and after sending lots of pics offer you a junk Nagant, or $500 when you told them asking price up front. It's always "I see them at my price everywhere" and my response is always "where, I'll buy them all"

I find comments about only criminals would buy FTF funny.

How many are ready to not comply on 1639? Does that make you a "criminal"? I guess it depends on what county you live in.

What will you do when they tell you to turn in all of your mags with a capacity over 10 rounds? Are you going to comply? Are you then a "criminal"?

Bad guys steal guns, they don't skirt unjust ambiguous laws.

Careful what you label people, they might just be fighting for 2nd amendment rights more then you are... just a thought.

I find it funny when someone takes a gen 3 glock and shaves the finger grooves and stipples it and wants top dollar. If I wanted a gen 4 or 5 I'd buy one of those. Imo you just ruined a perfectly fine gen 3.

I Collect and Trade lots of guns and I use the Blue Book of Gun values as a guide to a guns Value. CONDITION is something some people selling do not take into account . I do Appraisals for estates and other sellers and I grade the gun and show them the appx value of the gun by the book. That well worn Winchester with rust pitting and the finish gone and cracked wood is NOT going to bring the High dollar price a Mint one that's been well taken care of is. I've seen some ridiculous asking prices on GunBroker for garbage , and when it sells , i know there are fools out there with more money than brains. That 400.00 value rifle with a 500.00 scope is not going to get you 1200.00 from me, it's just plain common business sense.

You found it funny because you didn't understand it. If you're paying more for a gun to avoid the transfer, it's not because you think your rights are being violated, it's because you're paranoid,or a criminal and can't buy one any other way. Simple as that.

Another thing or two...I place value on the "bird in the hand" factor. Gee. I could get the gun elsewhere for a few dollars less, but right now they don't have the item in stock. So a premium price is a bigger savings to me to have the item right now, than to keep shopping for weeks or longer. But that's only my personal choice.
Cabela's is more expensive than most retail outlets. That sure doesn't stop them from selling more guns than BiMart. So it looks like others are willing to pay a premium for a gun that's actually in stock.

And I keep reading folks would rather buy new than to take a chance getting cheated by an unscrupulous seller. I would say if that's really a concern, you're shopping in the wrong market. I've bought, sold, traded, collected, and evaluated a lot of products over a lot of decades. That's what I do. I deal with many known collectors, and I would rather buy from them, trusting their description, than I would taking a chance buying a brand new mass produced firearm. I have returned more brand new firearms to the factory for repair than I have had problems with used guns. So I do not have a problem paying a little too much for an item that a trusted person describes accurately. But I also understand, many buyers do not have the luxury of knowing their buyers and sellers, personally.

Bottom line again, if it's too much, don't buy it.

You found it funny because you didn't understand it. If you're paying more for a gun to avoid the transfer, it's not because you think your rights are being violated, it's because you're paranoid,or a criminal and can't buy one any other way. Simple as that.

I never said anything about paying more to avoid BGC's nor have I done that.

The 'Cabelas' in my area puts guns on sale I'm often interested in.

I've bought guns from them well below market price.

Plus, their gun counter guns know their stuff, unlike a boat load of LGS guys.

The other gun store I buy from: Primary Arms too often have guns & gear I want on sale for astonishingly low sales price and often.

The guys there too are very knowledgeable and have helped me (alright they did it for me) install Geissele triggers without charge, just because I bought from them.

That's going the extra mile in customer service.

I'm a lifetime customer.

This has been a great thread and hope the personal barbs are done. It be a shame to close it. Thank you in advance Gentlemen.

I wonder if some gun prices are also based on 'perceived' value?
An example would be say with 'modern sporting rifles' and hi-cap lightweight semi auto handguns.
My point being are guns in this category held to a higher value because of the longstanding notion 'better buy it now because...'? As opposed to say more 'traditional' guns?
Just a thought - hypothetical thinking while on my back on the couch home with the crud!!

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads