JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I paid a high price for my AR's.

Thing is I bought high end quality.

They're a little lower in cost now, but not much..

If say you bought a Bushmaster or DPMS or other low end AR's and now they're waaaaay cheaper, learn form this experience.

Buy quality to begin with...

Yep, most of what was getting insane prices was low end stuff. Bushmaster is a great example. Pre panic they sold in the $700 range at places like Wally. One guy got real mad at me when telling a story. Went to the local Wally as he heard they had more in. Guy in front of him was buying the only 2 they had. He asked the guy if he could buy one. Guy said sure, 2K. He was furious. I told him before the panic these were in any shop that sold them, so why wait until a panic is going on then want to buy one? He got mad at me for saying it <shrug>
Soon after last POTUS election nice AR's were in the $500 area. Those were what were tempting me. Saw some sub $400 that were questionable even though I new some who bought one and love them. I had 2 Kel-Tec S2K's that I had paid under $300 for one and just over $300 for the other. Price got to close to 1K. I was VERY tempted to part with one at that price. Made the mistake of telling Wife who was just all over me to sell. They were just so damn hard to get in the first place and I was scared they would pass a law saying no more so held on. Of course looking back wish I had sold, but it is what it is :)

It also had a disadvantage- I would often buy something impulsively (well sort of) shoot it a while and put it up for sale or trade at a later date - and that too is gone now! Grrrr.........
Yes it has stopped that with me. I often bought something on a whim. Knowing if I did not like it I would be our very little. I am normally a lot more careful now of course.

I used to do a lot of buying of .22 rifles and various shotguns that may or may not needed a little TLC to get 'em looking and running good...I'd fix 'em up...play with them for a year or so...then turn around and sell 'em or trade 'em for another one of the same....

Now with needing a BGC...it adds to the price of those $100-$200 gun show specials and keeps me from doing that so much now...
But I digress....
Andy

I sold one for $400 I paid $300 for - but that was a good riddance moment!
Hell made a C note, you made out :)
I finally sold the .40 one I had since it was the only gun I had in that caliber. That and the way it booted hell out of my shoulder. Every range session my shoulder hurt for days. It was amazing how much recoil it had. Sold for more than I paid but it was a hassle. All the calls that never showed up. Buyer who did of course got a delayed when BGC was run. So had to go back again days later. If it was not such a PITA I would sell the last one I have to buy a Gen II. Not my favorite PCC but damn I am still impressed with how short, light, and fast they are to get into action. Even with the open sights, which my eyes don't like any more, I still can hit well enough with it. Had it out for my Monday at the range today. Still like it a lot. I guess if the house was on fire and I could only take one of the 3 9mm PCC's I have with me the Ruger would be the one saved though :). Not as short and light, or fast to go into action if taken down but damn they did a lot of things right on that.

Not as short and light, or fast to go into action if taken down but damn they did a lot of things right on that.
Yep - I really like mine - and
Glad I didn't end up going for a PC9 before the PCC was released - With regard to the S2K all it took was one complete breakdown for cleaning and that was it! Also I didn't like the idea of the epoxied in barrel that would eventually come loose (gen 1 - but there was a fix for it)
Mine was very accurate but all the plastic parts were a turn off and I could see breaking some of them them before long.

Yep - I really like mine - and
Glad I didn't end up going for a PC9 before the PCC was released - With regard to the S2K all it took was one complete breakdown for cleaning and that was it! Also I didn't like the idea of the epoxied in barrel that would eventually come loose (gen 1 - but there was a fix for it)
Mine was very accurate but all the plastic parts were a turn off and I could see breaking some of them them before long.
I would have zero problems paying the extra for one made like an AR but the market was not there. KT originally made them out of an Aluminum alloy. The price was over twice what they are now though and sales were too slow. So they went to the polymer to save on cost and made some good changes, market never has caught up. Even now they sell faster than they can make the damn things, even with all the competition. I have been a BIG fan of the PCC for decades and they were something few made. When I first got to see one of these I had to have one but getting it was a huge deal. Even now I seem to very rarely see one in a shop. There is a place that makes some VERY nice upgrades for them but by the time you put them on you could buy 2 of them so I never did it. It's always been a "just in case" gun that is so damn easy to pack around. Often had it with me in a laptop case, with the laptop in there too. No one had any idea that was in there :)

Only the criminals and paranoid.
Paranoid (the irrational and persistent feeling that people are 'out to get you')? Because of the registration aspect of it, a longer view of history might suggest otherwise.

...I buy all my guns new......
Nothing wrong with that if your interests are satisfied by what's available new.

My interests are a bit more eclectic. Aren't many 1895 Lee Navy's, Krags, etc. on the "new" market. I did see a beautiful pair of NIB original1895 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines in the original box with the factory hang tags at a gunshow about 40 years ago. IIRC, the price was about 11K for the pair. That sort of new is a little out of my price range but oh, they were beautiful!
In short, "new" is frequently not an option.

I did see a beautiful pair of NIB original1895 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines in the original box with the factory hang tags
Man - makes ya wonder how those lasted so long and where they were hidden - the old story 'if they could only talk' - might be a more interesting story than guns heavily used!

Classifieds are actually pretty simple :

People being what they are will look at a sales ad and think...either
Wow ! , that's a deal...I'm getting it.
Or
Just what in the hell is that guy thinking , with that price...?

No real need to worry over much 'bout either....
Andy

Sometimes it's even good for a laugh and that's always welcome.

when i see some ridiculous price, i just move on. people can ask for whatever they want but doesnt mean its gonna sell.

Ditto. It is a waste of time and mental energy to bother. Circa 2019, there are a ton of places to buy firearms, so if a deal doesn't look good, there's another seconds away.

The economy is good, everybody has money, but either everyone is a tight wad, or out of touch with gun prices lately. I'm on several other smaller forums and have noticed the want ads are full of people with unrealistic expectations, ie Cooper rifle for $800 max, Sweet Sixteen for $500, etc. Conversely, sell ads asking top dollar for butchered beaters. Taking a Dremel and hot nail to a Glock doesn't mean it's worth $100 over new. You'll always see this from time to time, but it seems to be the norm now. What gives?
I have seen what I consider some good deals here lately.

Not to mention the values of certain firearms fluctuating...

I bought a brand new S&W M&P40c when they were relatively new back in 2007. Paid $499. Loved that little pistol and it was my carry gun for years. Very accurate and decent trigger.

Couple of years ago, I got bit by the "smaller is better" bug and bought an XDS 40. My partner at work needed a self-defense weapon and couldn't afford a quality gun, so I agreed to sell him my beloved M&P for $350 on a payment plan and included a holster, ammo, full-size magazine, and an X-Grip.

He paid me when he could and I got the full amount in about 5 months. He was happy and loves the gun.

Then I realized that I wasn't comfortable with only 6 rounds of ammo and started looking for something with at least 10 rounds of capacity of .40 S&W.

Ended up buying another M&P40c... But now, they are dirt cheap and I bought a brand new one, with factory night sights, for $349, with a $50 factory rebate.

I had no idea that the price had fallen so badly on them and felt bad for my buddy having paid me $350 for a used one.

But, the new one isn't nearly as accurate, the trigger is just so-so, and the slide finish seems a bit "off"...

And having bought a few Glocks over the past few years, they are in a class all of their own.

I am a member of GSSF, which is $35 a year. I get two certificates to buy a Glock pistol at Blue Label pricing each year.

Now, even Blue Label pricing varies from dealer to dealer, but generally within $10 across the board...

bluelabel1.JPG

That is the lowest price you will see any new Glock sold for. Some Blue Label dealers are in a price war and the best price for a Gen 5 G19 is $398.

Now, my local gun shop (which is across the border in Idaho) sells new Glock Gen 5 G19s for $575. Bud's Gun Shop online sells them for $539.

So it's not out of line for people to want $400-$450 for a used one in good condition. Or LEO trade-in beaters for $370.

Unless they know about the Blue Label program.

I see a $400 used Glock with an unknown history and round count and chuckle.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads