JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, a number of ads and sellers are saying A2 upper but they are actually selling A2 'style' uppers, flat tops with the removable handle.
Now, as for the original question, yes they are around but they are getting rare. I am going thorough the same problem finding A1 uppers, with or without the case deflector. Again, they ae around but getting rarer for now. Hopefully the retro manufacturers will resume production and we can get back to business building. Me personally want to build another XM177E1, or an early M4 commonly referred to as an "Irene", after the one's used during Operation Gothic Serpent (Somalia)

Last Edited:
Unfortunately, a number of ads and sellers are saying A2 upper but they are actually selling A2 'style' uppers, flat tops with the removable handle.
Now, as for the original question, yes they are around but they are getting rare. I am going thorough the same problem finding A1 uppers, with or without the case deflector. Again, they ae around but getting rarer for now. Hopefully the retro manufacturers will resume production and we can get back to business building.
They really should be calling them A4s or M4s depending on what feed ramps are in there... I mean, yeah Colt did no favor putting out both M16/CAR15 and A2 names for their civilian rifles and carbines with any combination of upper and lower and features :rolleyes:

Edit. M16A4 is the flat top 20" rifle used by the USMC, the M4 is the 14.5" carbine used by Army and some Marines; they may have different feed ramps, but the majority of flat top uppers on the market have M4 feed ramps I think?

The model you provided has a detachable carry handle. What we are looking for is no detachable carry handle upper receivers.
Ah I see. I wonder who makes them for brownells retro rifle? Charging handle is in the handle though so ultra retro I guess? I see they have a cool looking 4x scope for it (or maybe that is for the regular charging handle version?).

781A8E3B-6ED0-40BB-BAF0-3A20D2DB1912.jpeg

Seems like some of the uppers cost as much as the whole gun. Also saw this but don't know anything about it or the company.

Last Edited:
I called and listened to the legitimate sounding answer machine. Reviews say its real but small company.
I went ahead and placed an order just in case they are real and disappear
Model 1 Sales and their shenanigans would be a thread in itself, don't hold your breath. H&R received their first batch of A2 upper forgings about 2 weeks ago, he said it will be a couple months for machining and finishing. A1 uppers have been in and out of stock, but usually sell out within minutes, there are a lot of retro people on the e-mail notification list.

Actually, the USMC used A3/A4's, either with the handle in place or flat topped with an ACOG. The USMC also carried M4's during the OIF/OEF timeframe. As for the feed ramps on any of them, I couldn't say. ( I'm not sure why, but the powers that be running Uncle Sam's Misguided Children did not keep me informed - OR - I missed the memo!)

...but the majority of flat top uppers on the market have M4 feed ramps I think?
Vast majority. It's hard to find a receiver with rifle ramps these days. LaRue might still make them. DSA Arms might still have some. I thing Aero used to make them. I have one with a 20" pencil barrel on it and it was not easy to find about 4 years ago.

Actually, the USMC used A3/A4's, either with the handle in place or flat topped with an ACOG. The USMC also carried M4's during the OIF/OEF timeframe. As for the feed ramps on any of them, I couldn't say. ( I'm not sure why, but the powers that be running Uncle Sam's Misguided Children did not keep me informed - OR - I missed the memo!)
Officially according to the gurus, the M16A3 is simply the M16A2 or M16A4 with M16A1 full auto lower :rolleyes: used mostly by the Navy, and could have the A2 fixed carry handle upper or the A4 flat top upper. The A2 lower is semi-burst-safe, the A1 lower is semi-full-safe.

USMC memos are easy to miss, they're written in crayon and only last for a matter of minutes. They get all smudged from being licked clean by their S2 & S3 sections.

Model 1 Sales and their shenanigans would be a thread in itself, don't hold your breath. H&R received their first batch of A2 upper forgings about 2 weeks ago, he said it will be a couple months for machining and finishing. A1 uppers have been in and out of stock, but usually sell out within minutes, there are a lot of retro people on the e-mail notification list.
I've got no use for them.

There are companies that I deal with and companies that I don't. And the decision on whether or not I continue with a particular firm is based solely on how I, as a customer, are treated. It's a serious case of 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.' I do not give foolish companies a second chance, period.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Model 1 over the years. Never a disappointment. I got what I ordered when they said I would get it. Five stars for them from my experience!!

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Model 1 over the years. Never a disappointment. I got what I ordered when they said I would get it. Five stars for them from my experience!!
Haters gonna hate. My upper runs flawlessly...after I fixed a few things. But that was when their website was new, like Windows 2000 new.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top