JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking for some "ar10" (general platform) advice. Im not looking for long range precision, more of an ar15 role but with a more powerful cartridge.
Piston driven is nice but direct works,
16-18 inch barrel
Im a lefty shooter so ambi controls are nice (i like the rainier ambi lowers alot) ide rather not do a build just buy optics ready
Looking for quality fit and coating, something thats all around rugged and dependable. Problem is there is ALOT of platforms out there that offer this, so im curios as to others experience with the various platforms of ar's in 308 in non-ranged precision roles / your expierences with their respective companies

I dont see many side chargers anymore but the ASA is nice

Thanks in advance for your input

You can go nuts with the high end stuff but a couple to look at would be :

Armalite AR10-A
This one is worthy of mention because it's the only AR10 (by Armalite) that can take a Pmag.
Introduced a couple of years ago.

DPMS GII
Generation 2....this is the first of the large frame AR's that has a more compact receiver as compared to the standard DPMS pattern receiver.
I think that the Remington R25 now use the GII receiver.

These are kind of entry level rigs.

If I was going to build from scratch, I would go with Aero or Mega receivers as a starting point.

For the money a Aero complete rifle or buying a built upper and lower is hard to beat.

There are a lot of options, The only one I personally would avoid is the PSA and only because of compatibility issues. (.308 sized AR's are a lot more temperamental when it comes to parts and there is no dead nuts standard)

You can go nuts with the high end stuff but a couple to look at would be :

Armalite AR10-A
This one is worthy of mention because it's the only AR10 (by Armalite) that can take a Pmag.
Introduced a couple of years ago.

DPMS GII
Generation 2....this is the first of the large frame AR's that has a more compact receiver as compared to the standard DPMS pattern receiver.
I think that the Remington R25 now use the GII receiver.

These are kind of entry level rigs.

If I was going to build from scratch, I would go with Aero or Mega receivers as a starting point.
The mega maten recievers are nice. Nice to the point that my only beef with them is trivial( i dont like the styling of trigger guard) if im not mistaken rainier ambi ultramatch recievers are essentially the same thing in finish, fit, and function and both look the exact same minus the trigger guard and logo,

As far as the armalite goes i have not looked into the a model yet, i have heard considerably more about dpms from what i can tell this is more hype granted they are quality. Ill check them out thanks

Im looking for some "ar10" (general platform) advice. Im not looking for long range precision, more of an ar15 role but with a more powerful cartridge.
Piston driven is nice but direct works,
16-18 inch barrel
Im a lefty shooter so ambi controls are nice (i like the rainier ambi lowers alot) ide rather not do a build just buy optics ready
Looking for quality fit and coating, something thats all around rugged and dependable. Problem is there is ALOT of platforms out there that offer this, so im curios as to others experience with the various platforms of ar's in 308 in non-ranged precision roles / your expierences with their respective companies

I dont see many side chargers anymore but the ASA is nice

Thanks in advance for your input

Psa offers deals on .308 cold hammer forged and chrome lined barrels that are worth taking a look at. I'd match whatever brand of barrel you go with the same brand bolt carrier group. Geisseles come on sale from time to time. Beyond that its all fluff.

For a fully built, optics ready, piston AR10 may I suggest a Ruger SR762?

Mine has proven to be very reliable and very accurate considering it has a 16" barrel. The additions I have made to mine are a Team Warne XSKEL mount, a simple Brownell's picatinny rail scope riser, a Harris bipod, a Vortex optic, a PWC muzzle brake and a POF ambidextrous charging handle.

021817%2001_zpshm4pxrol.jpg

For a fully built, optics ready, piston AR10 may I suggest a Ruger SR762?

Mine has proven to be very reliable and very accurate considering it has a 16" barrel. The additions I have made to mine are a Team Warne XSKEL mount, a simple Brownell's picatinny rail scope riser, a Harris bipod, a Vortex optic, a PWC muzzle brake and a POF ambidextrous charging handle.

View attachment 381804
I saw that one reviews seem good, is the price tag justified overall in your opinion?

Price and value is relative to what you wish to spend, I suppose.

I looked at a lot of weapons and specs, considered certain features as necessary and needed, read the reviews and given that my other piston AR is a Ruger SR556, which I am very very happy with, I eventually found myself leaning in the direction of the SR762. It's a well built, rugged and reliable weapon with just a bit more range and power when you need it. It's comfortable to shoot with very manageable recoil, especially with the addition of the PWC brake.

And yes I spent a bit more than I could have compared to other weapons but at the end of the day, the SR762 was my ultimate choice based on all I've listed above.

Besides, considering that I can send 20 rounds of .308 destruction headed downrange as quickly as I can aim and fire with nary a malfunction or issue present, I found it justifiable. :D

I was considering this option myself, but after looking around I decided that .308 on the AR platform is missing it's best feature... the low price point.
Interesting stuff tho, hopefully Ruger follows suite with an AR762.

I was considering this option myself, but after looking around I decided that .308 on the AR platform is missing it's best feature... the low price point.
Interesting stuff tho, hopefully Ruger follows suite with an AR762.
Yeah i never really bought the whole "well people buy less so we have to sell it for more" line. The amount they spend on hyping up their new 308's then charge 3x the price of its 223 brother

I will second the ruger option. A lot of the decisions here depend on your budget and what you want to spend on the project.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

I just finished a DPMS build around Aero Precision M5 receivers, A rainier barrel and toolcraft bcg. I got a lot of stuff during 4th of July sales, and totaled about $1,200 with a few mags, cleaning tools, optic, etc. The only hangup I found is matching the height of the picatinny rails between the upper and handguard.

A few places still seem to have a good deal on the toolcraft bcg. TOOLCRAFT BCG 308 BOLT CARRIER GROUP NI-BO 9310 MPI COMPLETE (hope its ok to post links, not trying to spam anything, just a great deal on a spendy 308 part)

There is actually a really good deal in the classified section here; an Adams Arms 308, 4 p mags and 175 rounds of ammunition for $800. Never had an AA 308 but I do have one of their 223 models and it's great.

Stag Arms is supposedly working on a left hand AR10 model. I am left handed. If not a left hand AR10, a left hand 6.5 Grendel AR15 for me would also work fine.

If given a choice with the 7.62x51 a longer barrel is better. We have some 16.3 inch barrel Saiga 7.62x51 AK47 rifles and the muzzle blast and report is quite severe.

Bad enough that the rifles are not that much fun to shoot, even with double ear protection along with the goggles. For serious shooting not fun at all to shoot unprotected.

hundreds of AR15 builds.

I have a PSA PA10 Gen 2 (18") with under 100 rounds. Pretty close to it. No issues (not one) so far. I've shot a S&W MP10 that was nicer but it did have a little work done.

Mine is just to have. No specific intentions other than making some noise. The trigger is horrible and needs to be changed. Even with a new trigger I'll probably have under $800 in it. The MP10 is arguably better but $4-500 better?

Pre-Trumpteer, things got me in somewhat of a "buy now while I can" mode. I picked up a Aero Precision M5E1 build kit, along with a few build necessities. It's been paperweight items since

Stag Arms is supposedly working on a left hand AR10 model. I am left handed. If not a left hand AR10, a left hand 6.5 Grendel AR15 for me would also work fine.

If given a choice with the 7.62x51 a longer barrel is better. We have some 16.3 inch barrel Saiga 7.62x51 AK47 rifles and the muzzle blast and report is quite severe.

Bad enough that the rifles are not that much fun to shoot, even with double ear protection along with the goggles. For serious shooting not fun at all to shoot unprotected.

hundreds of AR15 builds.
Thats a good point, an 18" barrel atleast given the round

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews