JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello all.

Dear Abby-

I have a buddy that will be starting the divorce process soon.

He has asked me about storing his firearms at my place while the divorce runs its course.

Firearms would be in his safe and I would NOT have/want the combination.

I will be explaining the finer points of community property to him (ask me how I know).

Looking to the group for the pluses and minuses of storing his firearms for him in the current/near future environment.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

WMB

That's some thing you don't talk about in this current environment!
If you want to do it for him, Do it. If not Don't. But that's Definitly NOT a question you should post on the internet

Unfortunately, due to SB554, what you are talking about is illegal. To move his safe / his firearms to your place constitutes a"transfer". The reasoning does not matter. That is why many of us tried to fight that bill. So, unless you do a proper transfer, with BGC's and all. it is not allowed. That is the legal side of things.
On the other hand, if the firearms were temporarily lost due to a boating accident . . .

Besides the concerns about transfer legality, this could also be considered hiding assets by your friend. If that is uncovered during the divorce proceedings, it could cause a whole host of problems for him regardless of whether the property is a firearm or not.

At the very least, tell him to rent a storage unit for them and keep you out of it.

If divorce proceedings have not been formally initiated, then he can offload the firearms without issue (besides the storage/transfer questions). If they have been started by either party then he'll take a hit for it

If you don't have access to them than there is no transfer and it would meet the requirements of SB554. Would be no different than locked in a storage unit. A lot of firearms were stored other places following the fires we had a few years ago.

The firearm ownership as part of the divorce is his business not yours. You don't have access to them anyway.

Hello all.

Dear Abby-

He has asked me about storing his firearms at my place while the divorce runs its course.

I will be explaining the finer points of community property to him (ask me how I know).

Looking to the group for the pluses and minuses of storing his firearms for him in the current/near future environment.

Best regards.

WMB
Speak with his attorney.

Hello all.

Dear Abby-

Best regards.

WMB

Hello all.

Dear Abby-

Best regards.

WMB
I would have him find a legal spot to store them.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top