JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got as far as finishing my build sheet. Near $900 to complete, which is not bad for my planned "pistol" configuration, with quality where it "needs to be" I just need to get off the toilet

yeah, for $700, you might even see me with one soon enough.
Although I'm a huge fan of Ruger, I found out... so you might see me with one of those too.

My PA-10 has been great for the last 3+ years I've had it. Now you can get one during their sale for $700 shipped plus transfer fee. Can't beat that with a stick. There are differences with the AR-10 platform between manufacturers that don't allow the compatibility like AR-15's but as long as you stay with the same company or buy a complete rifle it will be fine. Barrel, optics, and trigger are what makes a good rifle a very accurate one and all of these can be done a piece at a time on any AR platform. Good luck with what ever you pick.

You might want to check out armalite's promotions. I'd hop on the DEF10 deal, but I'm not sold on a 16" barrel in .308.

I appreciate the adds here. LoL

Skip the AR-10 platform, stick to AR-15 and go with the 6.5 Grendel! Low recoil, better ballistics past 500 yards compared to the .308, and very easy to reload for!

PSA now has a free floated upper for $400 and a magpul lower for $180 shipped. $580 plus transfer is a smoking deal. Hard to not get a second at this price....

I fear this could run long so I'll try to be succinct. I've been thinking about a light 308WIN AR for the same purpose as Basedgreaser.

1.) I first thought DPMS GII was the way to go. However, my B.S.-detector couldn't sort between hype reviews of flawless function and blog posts of frequent headaches.
2.) Aero was my next the best choice due to my personal connection to someone who gets their dealer pricing. Then I heard their hardware is not always in spec, although it's been better than in past years.
3.) I settled on Mega but now their offing their "short frame" model so I'd be inclined to wait until they start selling stripped SF receivers.

The bigger picture is this: The armed forces are beginning to talk of a need for a new 6.5-7mm cartridge for engagements over 300m due to the 5.56's lackluster performance in Afghanistan. I asked myself if I wanted to invest in an AR-pattern 308 when a new mil-spec rifle platform and cartridge is going to come online in the next 10 years. The answer was "No." I'm willing to wait and see what survives the proving grounds.

Just my $0.02

I fear this could run long so I'll try to be succinct. I've been thinking about a light 308WIN AR for the same purpose as Basedgreaser.

1.) I first thought DPMS GII was the way to go. However, my B.S.-detector couldn't sort between hype reviews of flawless function and blog posts of frequent headaches.
2.) Aero was my next the best choice due to my personal connection to someone who gets their dealer pricing. Then I heard their hardware is not always in spec, although it's been better than in past years.
3.) I settled on Mega but now their offing their "short frame" model so I'd be inclined to wait until they start selling stripped SF receivers.

The bigger picture is this: The armed forces are beginning to talk of a need for a new 6.5-7mm cartridge for engagements over 300m due to the 5.56's lackluster performance in Afghanistan. I asked myself if I wanted to invest in an AR-pattern 308 when a new mil-spec rifle platform and cartridge is going to come online in the next 10 years. The answer was "No." I'm willing to wait and see what survives the proving grounds.

Just my $0.02

Waiting for the military to move beyond the 5.56 could potentially leave you waiting for a long long time. In my opinion, buy whatever you want now, have fun with it for 10 years and IF the military does move to a magic caliber in the future you can always get into that game at that time. If you think about it in terms of a yearly bill, a $700 rifle over the course of 10 years only cost you $70 a year to enjoy (not including ammo). If you are a reloader, you can reload .308 pretty darn cheap because it is such a mainstream caliber.

The military has used 5.56 for such a long time and there is such enormous civilian accoutrements of firearms and ammo related to the 5.56 platform that even if the military did incorporate a new caliber into their arsenal to replace the 5.56 in select environments, because it is unlikely they would replace it entirely (similar to how .300 blackout is used to replace 5.56 only in select environments and units) the industry would still have ridiculous amounts of money invested in 5.56 and want to continue selling that to customers in addition to the new caliber that would take time before it made it into the civilian market with any amount of considerable presence. Even when it got to the point you could find it, the cost of it will likely be exorbitant.

Just my $0.02
But honestly, 600.00 for a PSA AR-10, capitalize that out over 10 years, that's 5.00 a month... Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a new long range AR platform, as the military is currently looking at. But in the meantime, for five bucks a month I could do an AR-10 as well...

Skip the AR-10 platform, stick to AR-15 and go with the 6.5 Grendel! Low recoil, better ballistics past 500 yards compared to the .308, and very easy to reload for!
Im a huge hater of intermediate cartridges for anything more then plinking, 30-06 is my ideal cartridge for every non plinking role, closest ar to 30-06 is in 308 with the exception of noreen, but im not entirely sold on their platform yet

I'm willing to wait and see what survives the proving grounds.

Just my $0.02
Mega is good, nearly worth the price (except the handguard) if doing a full build is a worth it investment, but outside of comp. "building" just seems pointless granted its fun.

Alot of these "optics ready" rifles are not optics ready. " New (insert company) 308 optics ready for $ 2500!!"

B**** that gun still has an a2 bird cage my 2500 aint goin anywhere

As far as waiting for the military, its a cool idea however you might want to consider what kind of president/s we may have until they make a decision. The big push against already-here ar's could go south very quickly

Im a huge hater of intermediate cartridges for anything more then plinking, 30-06 is my ideal cartridge for every non plinking role, closest ar to 30-06 is in 308 with the exception of noreen, but im not entirely sold on their platform yet

Well if 30-06 is your ideal cartridge, I assume a 300 Win Mag would be good too right? I was lucky enough to run into these guys at my local range last time I was out. I was already hitting the 550 yard gong with my PA-10 and these guys were playing with one of their development rigs. It was amazing....no other words to describe it. They have a proprietary BCG with a secondary spring that compresses once the buffer spring is fully compressed that absorbs/reduces felt recoil out of the 300 WinMag. It was about the same recoil, if not less than my DI 308. Shootable all day without the dockey kick bruise expected of a 300 WM. It was a $8k rifle with the Leupold Mark 6 on it but man, what an experience. If I happen to trip over and cash in a winning lotto ticket, this will be on the top of the list of purchases.

I have a pic somewhere I will put up when I find it.

OMEN Match 3.0 | NEMO Arms

Well if 30-06 is your ideal cartridge, I assume a 300 Win Mag would be good too right? I was lucky enough to run into these guys at my local range last time I was out. I was already hitting the 550 yard gong with my PA-10 and these guys were playing with one of their development rigs. It was amazing....no other words to describe it. They have a proprietary BCG with a secondary spring that compresses once the buffer spring is fully compressed that absorbs/reduces felt recoil out of the 300 WinMag. It was about the same recoil, if not less than my DI 308. Shootable all day without the dockey kick bruise expected of a 300 WM. It was a $8k rifle with the Leupold Mark 6 on it but man, what an experience. If I happen to trip over and cash in a winning lotto ticket, this will be on the top of the list of purchases.

I have a pic somewhere I will put up when I find it.

OMEN Match 3.0 | NEMO Arms

Dang that thing is sexy!! and the girl shooting it aint bad either:p
I'm with you that would be the 300 WM I would want. Lottery ticket here I come :D

Before you buy an AR10; consider...

Slam-Fire features
Customer Service at the Manufacturer
The cost of shooting vs the role of the F/A
An AR which all the parts are made at the same factory...

Before you buy an AR10; consider...

Slam-Fire features
Customer Service at the Manufacturer
The cost of shooting vs the role of the F/A
An AR which all the parts are made at the same factory...
I never thought about the factory thing, thats a good point. Only a few manufacturers actually make all the parts for a large portion of the ar market if i remember correctly ( i assume this goes towards fit and finish? Same factory process, same tolerances and coatings?)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top