JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My PA-10 has been great for the last 3+ years I've had it. Now you can get one during their sale for $700 shipped plus transfer fee. Can't beat that with a stick. There are differences with the AR-10 platform between manufacturers that don't allow the compatibility like AR-15's but as long as you stay with the same company or buy a complete rifle it will be fine. Barrel, optics, and trigger are what makes a good rifle a very accurate one and all of these can be done a piece at a time on any AR platform. Good luck with what ever you pick.
Compatibility- you nailed it. I'd like to have an AR 10 but parts and magazine interchangeability have kept my gun-shy:rolleyes:. Cost too, maybe. I'll have to just stick to my FAL and HK91.

So I won a AR-10
Custom 7.62x51 AR built by a gunsmith from USSOCOM
  • Fluted, match barrel
  • Custom trigger group
  • 7.62x51 RGuns quadrail upper
  • 7.62x51 USM4 lower receiver
  • Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x 50mm scope
  • LaRue Tactical quick release scope mount
  • LaRue Tactical Iron sights, front & rear
  • 3 x 10rd Magpul magazines
  • Plano hard-style carrying case
  • 3 x 10rd Magpul magazines
The scope is $1100+ by itself, the lower is real beefy, the wife put it in the Pickup along with a couple of AR's in case we have to outrun some North Korean Nukes.

She also put my Armalite AR-10B that has a fixed A2 style stock and a 16" SS Barrel. It takes metal magazines, but it has plenty...all loaded. Excellent trigger on this rifle. I have a cheap Redfield 3X9 scope on it that works well so far

I have a Aero Precision Build with a 18" barrel in the house with PMags (And a couple of PMag pattern metal mags).

And I have most of the parts for a second Aero build with Bronze colored receivers (bought at least two years ago)

I like the Armalite as the most practical, but if I had to pare down to just one, I'd swap scopes

Last Edited:
Im a huge hater of intermediate cartridges for anything more then plinking, 30-06 is my ideal cartridge for every non plinking role, closest ar to 30-06 is in 308 with the exception of noreen, but im not entirely sold on their platform yet

Well, if one is talking self-defense, tactical uses, the 5.56mm is the way to go in any sort of urban environment. The 7.62mm only really shines in open country, where combat can be at greater ranges.

For 200 yards and less, 5.56mm is certainly all one needs.

Did you ever read Chris Kyle's book AMERICAN SNIPER? For street level combat, he did not use his Remington 700 300 Win Magnum, nor his SR-25 7.62mm Mk-11 Rifle. Instead, he took the upper of his 5.56mm Mk 12 sniper rifle, and put it on a full auto M16 lower.

Compatibility- you nailed it. I'd like to have an AR 10 but parts and magazine interchangeability have kept my gun-shy:rolleyes:. Cost too, maybe. I'll have to just stick to my FAL and HK91.
I have a cetme kit coming in, and possibly an aussie l1a1 coming in later, which i could find what im looking for in those rifles, except for cost effective parts replacement

Well, if one is talking self-defense, tactical uses, the 5.56mm is the way to go in any sort of urban environment. The 7.62mm only really shines in open country, where combat can be at greater ranges.

For 200 yards and less, 5.56mm is certainly all one needs.

Did you ever read Chris Kyle's book AMERICAN SNIPER? For street level combat, he did not use his Remington 700 300 Win Magnum, nor his SR-25 7.62mm Mk-11 Rifle. Instead, he took the upper of his 5.56mm Mk 12 sniper rifle, and put it on a full auto M16 lower.

Though thats a good point, i happen to not be a hyper-effective marksman so i prefer bigger rounds to compensate for my inabilities :Dto be more serious I was raised on high-er power cartridges thats a grain im not capable of sanding away so to speak. My 30-06 preference is mostly the collector in me saying "The two best american rifles are 30-06" the history of the cartridge and the feeling of firing it compared to other chamberings, well its not that others suck, its just none of them quite feel the same

I had a PSA Ar10. It would jam every 4 rounds or so. After tuning the ejector springs, finding the right buffer setup and using an adjustable gas block I finally got it to run ok. I was not impressed by the quality though so I sold it as soon as I got it running.

I had a PSA Ar10. It would jam every 4 rounds or so. After tuning the ejector springs, finding the right buffer setup and using an adjustable gas block I finally got it to run ok. I was not impressed by the quality though so I sold it as soon as I got it running.

I learned a lot about DPMS customer service and how many different vendors they use when I tried....tried to get them to replace a broken extractor....went with a JP Enterprises kit....

I learned a lot about DPMS customer service and how many different vendors they use when I tried....tried to get them to replace a broken extractor....went with a JP Enterprises kit....
I have an Armalite platform AR10 and other than having to use Armalite mags (modified M1A) it's been rock solid. Living in Kalifornia, the new PMAGs were not an option at the time I built it. It's a ton of fun but heavy. Would want to be carrying it around for any length of time.

I bought a Sig 716 Patrol before doing more research on available AR-308s, mainly because I was up against a looming 2016 deadline to buy a .308 semi-auto rifle in Kommiefornia, and didn't know how straightforward it would be to build one. It's an accurate gas piston-driven rifle, but it's heavy and has a spotty reputation for reliability- I was lucky mine broke in well, and doesn't jam or have FTF's or FTE's. It has over 200 rounds through it, eats .308W or 7.62x51 with no complaints. I hate the short quad rail hand guard, but it does use PMags and the gas piston does keep the chamber clean.

In Jan. 2017 I found out I could still buy AR-308 lowers in CA provided I build it "featureless"-lol. So I bought an Aero Precision M5 lower, upper, handguard, black nitride BCG, LPK, AP buffer kit, and Magpul furniture but went with a Faxon 20" stainless fluted barrel and VG6 muzzle brake. That cost about as much as the Sig 716- very accurate too, but still not a cheap .308 rifle. Sure, I could have went with a cheaper 16" 4150 CMV nitrided barrel, bought a black M5 builder's kit, instead of FDE separate parts that needed to be cerakoated to match, less expensive BCG, and brought the build in under $1400, but WTH- might as well make it nicer.

Looking back, if I had to start over I would have bought a Diamonback DB-10 for $800-900. Or an S&W M&P-10 for $1200-$1300 and customized it.

Geno

I say forget the 308 and build a 6.5 LBC or 6.5 Grendel. I have a 308 AR its nice but the 6.5 LBC, I built kicks the 308s bubblegum in accuracy and does a better job a bucking the wind pass 400 yards. With my 6.5 400 yards is boring milk jugs and two liters don't stand a chance lol. I have shot several 2" 5 shot groups at 400 yards using just a 3x9 Leupold.

While true there are many benefits to choose 6.5 or 6.0 Creedmoor or others like 26 or 28 Nosler, those barrels are very pricy and the factory ammo limited and pricy too. Yes you can hand load, but I think you are severely restricting yourself when .308 is fairly pervasive.

6.5 Grendel factory loads are just as cheap if not cheaper than 308. True you can't walk in to the local Wal-Mart and by 6.5...But if he wants a gun that can shoot a long ways out and still be able to hunt with it. He won't be going to Wal-Mart to buy ammo. Plus "Packing it up and down hills the only answer is the 6.5" You can build a 6.5 as little as $550 and still have a way better gun than any 308 AR 10..Just my two cents.

I've got the following...

GEN 1 - DPMS .308
GEN 1 - PSA .308
GEN 2 - PSA .308
DD .308

They all shoot and I haven't had any problems with any of them. I've got two more PSA lowers in the safe waiting to be built, and will be soon...

I mean for the $600 it costs for a PSA, it's impossible not to have one or some....

Mine have been good to go...

Luck of the draw I suppose and the quality on the Gen 2 is more apparent than on the Gen 1 IMO... it's certainly not DD, but they're $600 at this point.

Thanks for all the input, too many people recomended psa in this thread, as well as other places i have read. And for the current price of 600-700 jesus ide regret not picking up one before prices rise again. Probably next paycheck, which will set back me getting an m1a but im sure ill find a deal on one of those in time:rolleyes:
Thanks again guys

Thanks for all the input, too many people recomended psa in this thread, as well as other places i have read. And for the current price of 600-700 jesus ide regret not picking up one before prices rise again. Probably next paycheck, which will set back me getting an m1a but im sure ill find a deal on one of those in time:rolleyes:
Thanks again guys

Could always buy lowers now and uppers on Black Friday... I imagine they'll be cheaper then, ''tis my hope anyways...

$300 and $400 for a complete (BCG, CH, etc.) AR10 upper is pretty good. Not sure I would wait if you are wanting one, or even thinking about one...

Could always buy lowers now and uppers on Black Friday... I imagine they'll be cheaper then, ''tis my hope anyways...
I never really payed attention to black friday and how many manufacturers actually take part in it. Cuz if a lot did ide just put my money aside and get an m1a and fal then buut ive never really seen significant deals on guns like those, a good ar in 308 would pay for itself in pure fun plinking value even if i dont get the best deal possible

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top