JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sure. i understand fully about product knowledge. for example, in my line of work, i have to interpret peoples concerns about their cars and translate it to what is actually going on with it. you would not believe some of the concerns ive heard that had nothing to do with what was actually going on. sometimes there isnt anythting wrong its just failure to know the product or how to use it. its OK if guys dont know what theyre talking about. whether that be the case here or not, theyre here to try to find a solution. lets try to find this guy a solution.

The more people that find joy and satisfaction from building their own AR the better. They share with their friends etc and our community grows.
=More pro 2A voices and votes
Ya they will have a learning curve... we all did. Experiencing failures and fixing them is THE best way to learn your system. This forum was a God send for me when I was learning, and thankfully 99.9% of the folks that helped me out were extremely helpful. If a guy is afraid of being belittled for posting for advice he may loose interest. COUNTER PRODUCTIVE!
Tactical elite armchair gunsmith trolls only cause contention and devision.
Not what NWFA is about..
.We get it. A guy pays a lot of money to get quality gear and might need to justify those dollars.... and It might feel empowering to assert ones expertise to the poors and the plebeians.
DON'T
Just don't.
That jive ain't welcome here.

The more people that find joy and satisfaction from building their own AR the better. They share with their friends etc and our community grows.
=More pro 2A voices and votes
Ya they will have a learning curve... we all did. Experiencing failures and fixing them is THE best way to learn your system. This forum was a God send for me when I was learning, and thankfully 99.9% of the folks that helped me out were extremely helpful. If a guy is afraid of being belittled for posting for advice he may loose interest. COUNTER PRODUCTIVE!
Tactical elite armchair gunsmith trolls only cause contention and devision.
Not what NWFA is about..
.We get it. A guy pays a lot of money to get quality gear and might need to justify those dollars.... and It might feel empowering to assert ones expertise to the poors and the plebeians.
DON'T
Just don't.
That jive ain't welcome here.
Or the guy has learned from experience and spending many 10's of thousands of dollars on subpar gear resulting in subpar performance, perhaps he has learned what works and doesn't work. Or maybe he has been doing it professionally for a few decades.

Or maybe, just maybe, You get what you pay for in life. You expect a $3,000 car to perform like a $50,000 one? A Car you built from parts from a bunch of different models, from different manufactures, to different specs.

We want everyone to learn. The issue is safety and life.

People have seriosuly injured and killed themselves from poorly built AR's. You have a 55-60K PSI controlled explosion happening 6 inches from your face. If you are one of the lukily ones, you will just have the mag blow out and some dirt to clean off your face. If you aren't, go google imagines.

The other issues is your life and your family friends life. These are self defense tools, Law Enforcement tools ect. Taking a junk POS into a situation where it may be the difference between life and death, is an issue.

Just because you don't understand the risks, nor have the same risk tolerance, doesn't mean its not there.

There are NUMEROUS tools and resources on the net to build a quality AR. Almost all of them will tell you what I have told you for the most part.

Stick to quality Parts
Build Correctly, or buy whole lowers/uppers
Quality Ammo
Quality Mags
Keep it Well Lubed.

Its that simple.

The other issue is time. How much time do you want to dick around trying to get something you already spent a bunch of money to work. How many range trips, extra ammo, TIME will you spend trying to figure this out. Knowledge is money so you are burning it away.

For a little more or the same money you could have something that is almost guarenteed to work and instead of wasting time trying to undick this, you could be enjoying yourself shooting with friends and family. Peace of mind has a quantifiable value as well.

so the OP has swapped BCG no change, cleaned it for the most part, no change...id like to hear back from the guy to see where hes at. he said he stored it with frog lube all over it. ive personally ran into issues where this crap will solidify sort of like lard or bacon grease over time. usually, it'll heat up and melt but if theres a gas system restriction somewhere, this could cause issues. others have suggested firing it with 1 round to see if the bolt locks open. this is a good idea because you can eliminate a few possibilities by doing so.

The other issue is time. How much time do you want to dick around trying to get something you already spent a bunch of money to work. How many range trips, extra ammo, TIME will you spend trying to figure this out. Knowledge is money so you are burning it away.

For a little more or the same money you could have something that is almost guarenteed to work and instead of wasting time trying to undick this, you could be enjoying yourself shooting with friends and family. Peace of mind has a quantifiable value as well.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree - I've seen FTF on many $1000 ARs
building custom ARs is a satisfying hobby and there is no time issue with a hobby
knowing how to tune one is a learned skill set
but I have my own range and ist's seconds to shoot and readjust on the fly
I have one with a .264 LBC chamber in a P3 18" barrel with a mid length gas system and an Adams Arms gas piston
throw on a carbine stock with a Tubbs flat wire spring - used a M4 buffer weight tuning kit to get the right weight set
nothing mil spec about it, but the AR is a very flexible platform, once you learn how to tune them and diagnose gas problems

but - back to helping the OP

Dang guy, angry about Milspec no-name MFG'S?
An AR is a AR.
Decent gun, But designed for retards.
Trust me I was one just like a lot of others on the board..……………………………...

No, no they are not. This is precisely why people whine about how "AR's are crap, just get an AK", it is nonsense. The fact that AR's run at all with sub par components is a testament to the design not the "builder" or the junk parts.

guys, lets help this guy get his gun working. telling people they dont know anything isnt helping. telling the OP he has a junk gun isnt helping. for all we know its something easy. quit trying to bash him. ive personally put together the cheapest of cheap junk ARs and it runs fine. relax or GTFO.

While he could work on his delivery, he is not wrong. I constantly see cheap homemade AR's fail. Sure many, if not most, run for a while, but as the round count climbs the reliability falls. The sad part is that lower is not cheap in dollar terms but who know what the QA/QC is like.

I disagree - I've seen FTF on many $1000 ARs
building custom ARs is a satisfying hobby and there is no time issue with a hobby
knowing how to tune one is a learned skill set
but I have my own range and ist's seconds to shoot and readjust on the fly
I have one with a .264 LBC chamber in a P3 18" barrel with a mid length gas system and an Adams Arms gas piston
throw on a carbine stock with a Tubbs flat wire spring - used a M4 buffer weight tuning kit to get the right weight set
nothing mil spec about it, but the AR is a very flexible platform, once you learn how to tune them and diagnose gas problems

but - back to helping the OP
$1000 means nothing unless you bought colt, bcm, or lmt at that price point. Most of the crap on the market is junk.

time should be spent shooting not dicking around trying to fix something that should have been correct from the start.

maybe your time is worthless, mine isint.

Here's what I was looking for

View attachment 736791

I know a lot of people use that chart but Will Larson was not a fan. Below are a few of his comment on it.

Let me guess....you're using that stupid ejection port chart?

It was probably ejecting at 4 o'clock due to the gas leak. People really need to forget about that stupid pie chart.

I get what you are saying, but the chart is not something I would rely on.

No, no they are not. This is precisely why people whine about how "AR's are crap, just get an AK", it is nonsense. The fact that AR's run at all with sub par components is a testament to the design not the "builder" or the junk parts.

While he could work on his delivery, he is not wrong. I constantly see cheap homemade AR's fail. Sure many, if not most, run for a while, but as the round count climbs the reliability falls. The sad part is that lower is not cheap in dollar terms but who know what the QA/QC is like.

i agree that a guy should use good parts. it would be like me rebuilding an engine with all cheap wish.com chinese parts that cost 1/8th of what good parts cost and expecting it to last a long time. it would be a gamble for sure.

ya thats one of those sharps bros lowers aint it? those arent cheap!! yikes.

$1000 means nothing unless you bought colt, bcm, or lmt at that price point. Most of the crap on the market is junk.

time should be spent shooting not dicking around trying to fix something that should have been correct from the start.

maybe your time is worthless, mine isint.
LOLLL
I'm retired - my time for an AR build is endless, not worthless
I'm a retired engineer - most of the fun of an AR is the build - shooting is just a secondary pleasure
I was one of the first NRA HP shooter to switch over from the M1 Garand to the AR platform back in '91
back then there was no internet to help us tune our rifles - we learned by trial and error or talking to the Army and Marine armors in the parking lot
and there was no NM AR15 to be purchased - we had to build our own and handload our ammo
the Colt AR Sporter HBAR was the closest, but it had insufficient sights, a horrible Mil Spec trigger and lacked a free float barrel, which was necessary when shooting with a sling

I know a lot of people use that chart but Will Larson was not a fan. Below are a few of his comment on it.

Let me guess....you're using that stupid ejection port chart?

It was probably ejecting at 4 o'clock due to the gas leak. People really need to forget about that stupid pie chart.

I get what you are saying, but the chart is not something I would rely on.
I had to look up who this Will Larson was
now, no engineer or armor uses a simple pie chart as a definitive tool, it's just a reference
for those of use who have not paid to attend Will Larson class on AR armory techniques, it's a good quick reference
I've tuned all my AR to eject at 3:30, about 3' out, that's DI, DI with adjustable gas port and piston drive
both 5.56 and 6.5mm
for the beginner and intermediate skilled builder and even casual shooter, this is a good reference
or you could just pay someone else to work on your AR, but this is not my preference
like I said, I'm retired and a hobby has no wasted time

waiting to hear back from the OP, this posting is not about you or I and our ARs

I had to look up who this Will Larson was
now, no engineer or armor uses a simple pie chart as a definitive tool, it's just a reference
for those of use who have not paid to attend Will Larson class on AR armory techniques, it's a good quick reference
I've tuned all my AR to eject at 3:30, about 3' out, that's DI, DI with adjustable gas port and piston drive
both 5.56 and 6.5mm
for the beginner and intermediate skilled builder and even casual shooter, this is a good reference
or you could just pay someone else to work on your AR, but this is not my preference
like I said, I'm retired and a hobby has no wasted time

waiting to hear back from the OP, this posting is not about you or I and our ARs

So a barrel with a massive gas port is offest by a BCG with a leaking gas key putting brass at 4 o'clock, according to that chart that would a "perfect ejection" pattern and everything is hunkey-dory, but the reality is it is only a matter of time before short stroking and FTF will occur.

Knowing the gas port size is where it all starts, I'll confirm the size with a pin gage every barrel on every build I do, that will tell me if there are going to be problems before they occur and removes a lot of guess work.

So a barrel with a massive gas port is offest by a BCG with a leaking gas key putting brass at 4 o'clock, according to that chart that would a "perfect ejection" pattern and everything is hunkey-dory, but the reality is it is only a matter of time before short stroking and FTF will occur.

Knowing the gas port size is where it all starts, I'll confirm the size with a pin gage every barrel on every build I do, that will tell me if there are going to be problems before they occur and removes a lot of guess work.
ive had to make gas ports bigger in certain circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top