JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pinning is great if you never plan to swap barrels or change gas blocks or experiment. But in my honest opinion unless you're headed to Afghanistan to be dropped behind enemy lines and need to depend on your rifle to get you through to your check point to be airlifted out you could probably suffer through a slipped gas block once every few years. I check the set screws occasionally and check for looseness on the screw holding the sling swivel. I was worried the gas block would get extremely hot and eventually make the swivel so hot it would melt the sling. That hasn't happened but then again I don't do magazine dumps or extended firing at hostiles on the battle field. I also custom made a hand guard cap that is a press fit on the barrel so there's absolutely no slop or rattle in the hand guard. (I hate things that rattle)

Pinning is great if you never plan to swap barrels or change gas blocks or experiment. But in my honest opinion unless you're headed to Afghanistan to be dropped behind enemy lines and need to depend on your rifle to get you through to your check point to be airlifted out you could probably suffer through a slipped gas block once every few years. I check the set screws occasionally and check for looseness on the screw holding the sling swivel. I was worried the gas block would get extremely hot and eventually make the swivel so hot it would melt the sling. That hasn't happened but then again I don't do magazine dumps or extended firing at hostiles on the battle field. I also custom made a hand guard cap that is a press fit on the barrel so there's absolutely no slop or rattle in the hand guard. (I hate things that rattle)
agreed - haven't seen much combat out here on the North Fork and at 70+, I don't sit here dreaming of taking my AR into combat or run and gun in a 3 gun match
it's hard enough to get up off the mat after a workout on my own range
as for handguard caps - I have run free float barrels since the early '90s

P1030988.JPG

agreed - haven't seen much combat out here on the North Fork and at 70+, I don't sit here dreaming of taking my AR into combat or run and gun in a 3 gun match
it's hard enough to get up off the mat after a workout on my own range
as for handguard caps - I have run free float barrels since the early '90s

View attachment 737956
NIce little set up. I hope you don't scare the cows too much........

NIce little set up. I hope you don't scare the cows too much........
LOLL
neighbors cow got into my yard just 2 days ago
I was watering my tomatoes, listening to saxophone jazz, turn around and there is a cow and two steers in my garden behind me
but you can't shoot your neighbors livestock
never saw a 1200 lbs steer who would turn down apples
throw apples down the field and they just follow

this isn't Rawhide on TV, I've fired a .45 into the ground and these domestic cows just stare at me - throw apples and they follow

Couldn't wait. Got everything put back together with the Dictator gas block and a new H1 buffer and spring and went over to Four Corners real quick. I'm happy.
Fed every time. Brass is ejecting almost right at 3:00. It felt very good, solid and smooth.

Couldn't wait. Got everything put back together with the Dictator gas block and a new H1 buffer and spring and went over to Four Corners real quick. I'm happy.
Fed every time. Brass is ejecting almost right at 3:00. It felt very good, solid and smooth.

Did you dimple the barrel, use knurled set screws, red Loctite and degrease everything?

You probably didn't need a new buffer and action spring to get it running (that loose gas block was your problem) but an H buffer is a step in the right direction when compared to the carbine buffer, I probably would have gone straight to an H2 unless all you shot is underpowered ammo.

Did you dimple the barrel, use knurled set screws, red Loctite and degrease everything?
No, I did not dimple the barrel. I do not have a jig for that. I did use the supplied knurled set screws and used blue loctite (so, it'll be easier for when I get around to dimpling the barrel). I did clean up everything very well.

You probably didn't need a new buffer and action spring to get it running (that loose gas block was your problem) but an H buffer is a step in the right direction when compared to the carbine buffer, I probably would have gone straight to an H2 unless all you shot is underpowered ammo.
here's this old video from David Tubb on AR buffer springs
18 min long, but worth the watch

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews