JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Icicles everywhere.

Should all be gone by noon tomorrow.

Don't know weather to Smile or Cry.

See what I did there? :)
Yeah, capitalized two words that shouldn't be. Even Germans don't capitalize verbs.
It's all good, we know you're a redneck at heart.

Rain fell until ~9pm. The layer of ice here hit 1/4". The temp has been climbing but it's only 30°F this morning. No power still. PGE (Henckels crew) wasn't working in the ice storm. Can't fault them.
Another 1-1/2 Jerry cans down, when I refill this morning before heading to work, it'll be 2-1/2.

freezing rain here, east of Oregon City, 550ft.

Whatever it takes to get my workplace to open back up. They closed the last several days and that's gonna be a solid grand of wages I won't earn by the end of it. I have guns to buy, dammit.
I haven't really done any work this week either. Supposed to have a couple of trucks coming in this afternoon. Looks like I'll be working this weekend to catch back up.
My wife is a postal carrier. She worked Saturday, which was really stressful. Yesterday wasn't nearly as bad for her. Today everything is ice with water on top and it's extremely challenging just to get out to the truck in the driveway. She's on the couch and is staying home today.

I haven't really done any work this week either. Supposed to have a couple of trucks coming in this afternoon. Looks like I'll be working this weekend to catch back up.
My wife is a postal carrier. She worked Saturday, which was really stressful. Yesterday wasn't nearly as bad for her. Today everything is ice with water on top and it's extremely challenging just to get out to the truck in the driveway. She's on the couch and is staying home today.
Those dam goverment workers!

Portland supposed to be 43f by 10am so you guys above needing to hit the road after noon shouldn't have too much trouble. High temp of 46f.
It is 33* here but the ice on the snow is not melting and makes walking difficult - driving would be even harder. Hopefully it will melt by noon as I have to leave at one PM to go into town.

No power lost - yet. Fingers crossed.

Rain, sleet, or snow is ok, but I'm with her ice sux!

Lost power for about an hour last night. Just fired up the woodstove, set out candles and a couple of battery lanterns then sat around being bored. Missing the internet and TV for mindless entertainment.

elsie

Sheesh....weird reading all these posts from people saying what it's SUPPOSED to do! 23 degrees last night with light freezing rain. Had stopped just before going to bed. 27.3 degrees now, nothing melting, everything with 3/8"-1/2" ice. So much for that 40+ temp! I'm just waiting to hear my 10'x10' folding canopy that is on the deck collapse on the Weber and Ducane grill.

Lost power for about an hour last night. Just fired up the woodstove, set out candles and a couple of battery lanterns then sat around being bored. Missing the internet and TV for mindless entertainment.

elsie
I have a small GoLabs power station (LiFePo4 battery & inverter) to power my TM Home Internet router, charge the laptop and phone. Since the router only takes 5-10 watts and the power station theoretically has 256 Wh, I have power for a couple of days. Emergency lighting is varied; half a dozen battery backed light bulbs in std fixtures controlled by std switches, lanterns, etc.

I also have gensets, but I don't deploy them unless the power will be out for more than 12-24 hours - and then I plug in my fridge and power station.

Sheesh....weird reading all these posts from people saying what it's SUPPOSED to do! 23 degrees last night with light freezing rain. Had stopped just before going to bed. 27.3 degrees now, nothing melting, everything with 3/8"-1/2" ice. So much for that 40+ temp! I'm just waiting to hear my 10'x10' folding canopy that is on the deck collapse on the Weber and Ducane grill.
45 and ll the ice is gone. Still no power

Last Edited:
Melting like crazy here. Raining. Water on top of ice sheet. Neighbor tried to get out of driveway but just abandoned their car halfway out until it melts. Big Icicles have been falling off power lines. Warming fast this will all be gone in hours here.

Melting like crazy here. Raining. Water on top of ice sheet. Neighbor tried to get out of driveway but just abandoned their car halfway out until it melts. Big Icicles have been falling off power lines. Warming fast this will all be gone in hours here.
I would think almost falling/falling down three times would be a clue that you shouldn't go anywhere in a car without chains. o_O Well, unless your car is garaged, then your are a special kind.

29.3 here now and ice dripping like crazy. That means what-ever ice is there is a slippery as ice can get.
Wifey works a block away and walks. A few years ago I modified a pair of "Stylin" snow type boots with wood screws laying in the cleats with the heads sharpened. And some duct tape. That gets her to work pretty good.

right at 32 here, but everything is covered in ice
had to use ice cleats to go let the geese out
and not even the geese can walk in this, 2 of them fell over on the ice, they are now under a tree in the snow
all the cars and trucks are ice sculptures - doors frozen shut
we're not expected to get above freezing until after 1
I guess I'll go put new chains on the chainsaws - will need them for the cleanup

I would think almost falling/falling down three times would be a clue that you shouldn't go anywhere in a car without chains. o_O Well, unless your car is garaged, then your are a special kind.

29.3 here now and ice dripping like crazy. That means what-ever ice is there is a slippery as ice can get.
Wifey works a block away and walks. A few years ago I modified a pair of "Stylin" snow type boots with wood screws laying in the cleats with the heads sharpened. And some duct tape. That gets her to work pretty good.
The tires on my truck.

Screwed.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class